The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 05-04-2016, 08:37 AM   #16
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
These portions seem a bit large. I'd expect that to be enough for about 4 people.
That's just a topping for the hot dogs, for a party of 24.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:41 AM   #17
glatt

So two teaspoons per dog. Seems a little skimpy, but I guess some people won't like beans and that will leave a little more for others.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:47 AM   #18
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
So two teaspoons per dog. Seems a little skimpy, but I guess some people won't like beans and that will leave a little more for others.
Yeah, because if you made enough of every topping for 48 hot dogs, you'd be about 576 hot dogs and buns short
Old 05-04-2016, 09:11 AM   #19
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Serious PRO TIP

emulsion
Fuck yeah emulsion, thank you! Trying this very very soon now.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:34 AM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Not everyone will choose every station, the whole point is to give people a dozen options to dress their dog as they wish. Actually more than a dozen as they can mix and match condiments from each station to create a very personal heartburn.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:34 AM   #21
glatt

OK. You guys are right. I did the math again for the total number of toppings, the quantity of each topping, and the total number of hot dogs, and it works out to about half a cup of toppings per dog. And that's just about perfect.

mea culpa.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:50 AM   #22
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
OK. You guys are right. I did the math again for the total number of toppings, the quantity of each topping, and the total number of hot dogs, and it works out to about half a cup of toppings per dog. And that's just about perfect.

mea culpa.
Three Our Fathers and a Hail Mary. Put $2.00 in the poor box.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:41 PM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Eggplant Rollitini

Ingredients
~Non-stick olive oil spray, of a kind men use, not only to convey heat to food being prepared, but as a lubricant, to prevent the sticking and scorching that renders food subjected to excessive heat unworthy of its creator
~2 cups all-purpose flour, so often despised for its being bleached, disreputable and disdained among the self-proclaimed authorities in nutrition, who have never themselves actually cooked anything
~4 large eggs, beaten—with a quiet confidence–to blend
~3 ½ cups breadcrumbs. Whether they are of the Japanese panko variety, or the more familiar granulated kind is of no consequence. It is to be preferred that they be unseasoned, free of the desiccated, flavorless dried herbs and adulterating enhancements which are the crutch and the fallback of the sluggard, the bum, the cheater, the short-cutter, the easy-way taker.
~2 2/3 cups grated Parmesan cheese from a chunk the existence of which is changed, forever, by its transformation into a pile of coarse meal or a cloud of fine wisps
~2 medium eggplants, sliced the long way, in ¼ inch thick slabs, each perfectly itself, each content in its being, each possessing a solidity as much as to proclaim to men, “I am this.”
~3 cups grated mozzarella cheese, taking care to assure that you are the agent of its grating. Do not wait for the mozzarella to grate itself. Do not complain if it sits there, inert, remaining stubbornly ungrated without your conscious decision to grate it. If you do not grate it, then no one will, unless you buy the pre-grated kind.
~1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, the transformative properties of which perhaps account for the fact that it is the only herb that is also a man’s name, except for Rosemary, which is a woman’s name, and Herb, which is a man’s name, and Sage, which is a woman’s name.
~1 ½ cups ricotta cheese, obtained recently, and therefore in a state of freshness.
~2 cups marinara sauce, purchased–with money, which is the measure, not of men’s greed, but of men’s achievement. (Tip: You have heard men say, “Jarred marinara sauce does not exist.” This is false. It does exist. It exists because it is itself, and nothing that is itself cannot not exist. It is available to you wherever jars of marinara sauce are sold for money.)

Preparation
1.Preheat oven to 350 F. Do this freely, without hesitation, as a function of the exercise of your will, conscious only of the fact that the oven must attain a specific degree of heat or it will fail to cook the ingredients properly.
2.Grease three rimmed baking sheets and a 9 x 13 glass baking dish. Do not ask, “Why should I do this?” Instead, think in the brain’s awareness of your mind, “I will do this.”
3.In a shallow bowl, place the flour. In another shallow bowl, place the beaten eggs. In a third shallow bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with 1 cup of the grated Parmesan. Admit, in the deepest recesses of your consciousness, in full awareness of its truth, that you now have before you three shallow bowls.
4.Place a slice of the eggplant in the flour, coat it, and shake off the excess. Perform this act with a surprising fluidity of gesture, as natural and un-conflicted as an animal. Place the eggplant in the egg mixture, coat it, and shake off the excess with an astonishingly graceful motion. Place the doubly-coated slice in the breadcrumb-cheese mixture, dredging it through the dish in an act of brutality and unselfconscious desire, the desire to bread. Press the breadcrumbs onto the eggplant to adhere. Do this, not deferentially or lovingly, but with the practiced unconcern of the craftsman or the professional, for whom the successful breading of eggplant slices is of the highest value. Place the breaded slice on one of the greased pans.
5.Perform the identical act with the other slices of eggplant. Almost find something oddly comforting and reassuring in the mindless repetitiveness of this act.
6.Place the baking sheets of breaded eggplant slices in the oven for 15 minutes. Using a spatula, a broad fork, or the shovel of an honest workman for whom physical labor is an enactment of man’s noblest nature, flip the eggplant slices and place them back in the oven for an additional 15 minutes of duration of time.
7.Meanwhile, place the marinara sauce in a small saucepan and heat it over a low, clean flame, stirring occasionally, without anxiety or compulsion.
8.When the eggplant is golden brown on both sides, remove from oven and let cool. While it is cooling, mix the basil and the mozzarella into the ricotta. As you do so, be suddenly aware that you are living your life now, that you exist, your life exists, and the existence of your life’s existence exists.
9.Do you truly love your life? Then when the eggplant is cool, spoon two or three tablespoons of the cheese-basil mixture onto each piece and spread the mixture evenly, cleanly over all. Then roll it up the long way. Place it, seam side down, in the greased glass baking dish. Permit yourself a brief sneer of contempt at the pleasure you derive from manipulating food as though it were an artistic medium.
10.Repeat with the rest of the slices until the baking dish is full. Spoon the warmed sauce over all and top with any leftover mozzarella and 2/3 cup remaining Parmesan. Laugh bitterly but rationally at one electrifying perception: That you have expended all this labor in the service of preparing what is, in effect, eggplant parmigiana in sculptural form.
11.Bake, uncovered, until all is heated through and the mozzarella melts, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly, while displaying the relaxation of an invisible smile in your eyes.

Serves yourself plus 5 freeloading takers.
From Ayn Rand
Old 05-13-2016, 12:03 PM   #24
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Gravdigr's Sausage Casserole

1 pound sausage (or ground beef, or ground venison, or, or) cooked w/a little Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke
Cheese - cubed (as much as you like)
2 cups macaroni (cooked)
Cheese
A small onion, diced
Cheese
A small green pepper, diced
Cheese
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes (if you really like tomatoes, use two cans)
Cheese
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
Cheese
1 teaspoon sugar

Pour everything in a casserole dish and mix together.

For the topping:

one tube/package saltine crackers (or non salted, if you avoid salt), crumbled, mixed with one stick melted butter, spread evenly on top of the mixed casserole.

I cook the peppers and onions and ground meat together. I usually cook my casserole for 20 minutes at 350. All you're really doing is just warming up the already-cooked ingredients, anyway. Just enough to barely brown the cracker topping.

Enjoy. Let us know how yours comes out!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:16 PM   #25
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Gravdigr's Sausage Casserole

Enjoy. Let us know how yours comes out!
Sounds good to me! Will do.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:51 PM   #26
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

A 60- second, step-by-step guide for slow-cooking your roast:

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:41 PM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

This may help...
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2016, 06:36 AM   #28
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

From a lady Truck driver something that travels well, especially in hot weather, and can be eaten hot or cold.

Tuna Salad Sans Mayo

Ingredients
2 cups Israeli couscous (I use whole wheat)
2 cans tuna, drained
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
lemon juice from 2 freshly squeezed lemons
1/2 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons capers, drained & diced
1/2 cup roasted red peppers, drained & diced
1 shallot diced
2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 cloves)
2 ribs celery
1/2 teaspoon beau monde Seasoning
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Instructions
Bring pot of salted water to a boil. Add the couscous, stir once, then reduce the heat to a simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until the couscous is just tender.
Drain in a colander.
In a large bowl break up tuna, then add your lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, capers, red peppers, celery, shallot, beau monde and garlic- stir to incorporate.
Once your couscous is drained add the hot couscous into the mixture and stir well.
Cover and set aside letting everything mingle.
Taste for seasonings and serve warm or at room temperature.
It's really good both warm or cold out of the fridge!
Old 07-05-2016, 11:31 PM   #29
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Blueberry Corn Salad

Blueberry Corn Salad

Name:  20160705_193930sm.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  128.6 KB

4 ears of sweet corn, cut from the cob. Protip--shuck the corn, break the ear in half, put the flat end of the broken ear on the cutting board, slice the kernels off. That gives you a stable(r) base to slice against.

1 pint of blueberries

1/2 red onion, diced fine.

2 small persian cucumbers, sliced into thin coins.

1 bundle of basil leaves, chiffonade.

orange champagne vinegar

olive oil

honey

salt

pepper

Blanch the corn. Bring a large pot of water to a high boil. Prepare a big bowl of icewater, large enough to hold your colander. Dump the corn into the boiling water, 2 minutes. Pour the corn/water into your colander and put the colander into the ice bath immediately. I wound up having to add ice. After it's completely cooled, the quicker the better, drain well and put into a large bowl.

Add the blueberries, diced onion, sliced cucumber.

Now, for the dressing, I have to say I don't measure many things precisely in the kitchen. I'm a pretty good cook and a terrible baker, and I think this is a prime reason. Cooking is art, baking in science. In the kitchen, I'm much more of an artist than a scientist. At least not a precise scientist. Which is the long way of saying I don't have precise measurements for the dressing. Counting four ears of corn was fairly easy. Two cucumbers, half an onion, easy. Blueberries are pre-measured in pints. The basil... ehhh. Anyhow. Here goes.

About 1/3 cup orange champagne vinegar. I love this stuff, it's almost like dessert. It's pretty sweet, with a perfect tang of vinegar. If you don't have it (I got it from Trader Joe's), just pick a mild vinegar. Balance it with more honey. I wound up using... less than a 1/4 cup. Enough olive oil to give it body. Salt and pepper, I used a generous amount. Taste as you go. Too sweet? More tang. Versa-vicea, etc. xoB might try the pickle juice. Go crazy.

But I exercised restraint, because the corn tonight was de-fucking-licious. And it doesn't take much to overpower the corn. And it doesn't take much to showcase it. You can always add more.

Add the dressing, mix well. When serving, put a small garnish of basil on the top.

Pig out, you're welcome.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:22 AM   #30
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Popular with the mm at the moment:
from fridge to mouth: <10 minutes

flour tortilla
a few spoons of tapenade
a few spoons of black beans
grated cheddar

lay wrap in cast iron pan
spread tapenade
spread beans
grate cheese
low heat with cover until cheese melts

repeat as needed.

I use Goya canned black beans because I'm shit at planning ahead. the mm prefers sharp cheddar.