The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 11-05-2016, 03:49 AM   #76
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Bunny View Post
I have a question about slow cooking. Okay, so the recipe says to throw all the ingredients in. Is there an order of throwing ingredients in? Should we mix them after throwing them in? Should we put the "meat" in last, so it won't stick to the pot? The last time I "threw the ingredients in," the pork got stuck to the pot and kinda burnt. I got nervous and stirred the pot a couple of times.
Crock pots do rule. Root veg go in the bottom with just enough liquid to cover (or less as more will be produced by the cooking process) and I usually put the meat on top.
Sometimes I stir it after a few hours.

Sent by thought transference
Old 11-05-2016, 01:55 PM   #77
captainhook455
Rapscallion

I can see y'all from somewhere else. Lol. Ok, put just enough water to cover the string beans(oops), because the can vegetables are full of water. I cook all in one pot as I was single for 38 yrs. Meat is in the bottom getting seared and was cut in small pieces,then garlic, salt, pepper, Mrs. Dash, parsley whatever. I don't want a roast,Thats another dish. When finally putting in the taters add just enough water to cover them. I don't want to dilute the broth. I ended up making rice too although the potatoes are enough starch. Seems I had four people and six cats to feed.

tarheel
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 02:26 PM   #78
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Time for a roast. I will try to make this one easier as I am an amateur recipe giver. Adolph's meat tenderizer is for these 10 yr old cows we eat. It is salt, but not table salt. Fork it all over and put the Adolph's to it yesterday. I use a large square Teflon baking pan with foil on top. Put roast in pan, more salt, pepper and garlic powder. Coat both sides. Put your vegetables around the sides. If using taters these go first. Then string beans etc. I use stick butter and slice pieces around the sides. Cover, in the oven for hour and half at 350°. Ck with meat thermometer. Stick through foil.

tarheel
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #79
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Herb & Apple Bread Pudding
Serves 8 to 10

This bread pudding is based on the Thanksgiving stuffing that I’ve been making for Jeffrey for decades. I prefer to roast my turkey without stuffing because it cooks faster and stays moister. Bread pudding that bakes alongside the turkey is the best of both worlds: moist turkey and crispy stuffing.

8 cups (¾-inch-diced) country bread cubes, crusts removed
4 tablespoons ½ stick) unsalted butter
3 ounces pancetta, ½-inch-diced
2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
1 ½ cups medium-diced celery
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
½ cup medium or dry sherry
2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary leaves
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
7 extra-large eggs
2½ cups heavy cream
1¼ cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
2 cups grated Gruyère cheese, lightly packed (6 ounces with rind), divided

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the bread in a single layer on a sheet pan and bake for 20 minutes, tossing once, until lightly browned. Set aside.

Meanwhile, heat the butter in a large (12-inch) sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add the pancetta, raise the heat to medium, and cook for 5 minutes, until browned. Stir in the onions, celery, and apple and cook over medium to medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the sherry, rosemary, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1½ teaspoons pepper and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, until most of the liquid is gone. Off the heat, stir in the parsley.

Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, cream, chicken stock, and 1½ cups of the Gruyère in a very large bowl. Stir in the bread and the vegetable mixture and set aside for 30 minutes to allow the bread to soak up the custard. Pour into a 9 × 13 × 2-inch oven-to-table baking dish. Sprinkle with the ½ cup of Gruyère and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until the top is browned and a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Serve hot.

Make Ahead:

Assemble early in the day, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate. Bake just before serving.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:58 PM   #80
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Bunny View Post
I have a question about slow cooking. Okay, so the recipe says to throw all the ingredients in. Is there an order of throwing ingredients in? Should we mix them after throwing them in? Should we put the "meat" in last, so it won't stick to the pot? The last time I "threw the ingredients in," the pork got stuck to the pot and kinda burnt. I got nervous and stirred the pot a couple of times.
We just put it all in and stir occasionally. You really don't have to do much with slow cooking, though there are occasional misfires...usually in our case, they involve forgetting to turn the Crock Pot on.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:52 AM   #81
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elSicomoro View Post
...usually in our case, they involve forgetting to turn the Crock Pot on.
Did that. Once.

Got so pissed off when I came home and found the cold pot, I threw it, ingredients and all, out into the backyard.

Stupid pot, not turning itself on...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:43 AM   #82
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Fool-proof roast turkey:

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:37 PM   #83
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Cheap, quick, and easy...
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2016, 12:09 AM   #84
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
BEER BRAISED BEEF SHORT RIBS

If you use bone-in short ribs, check the meat after 3 hours of braising. They likely will need an extra hour of braising.

Servings: 8

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided

5 pounds boneless beef short ribs

Kosher salt and ground black pepper

2 cups thinly sliced yellow onions

2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped

11/2 tablespoons minced garlic

2 tablespoons tomato paste

1 sprig fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)

1 bay leaf

Two 12-ounce bottles beer

4 cups low-sodium chicken broth

1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

11/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

1/2 cup water

2 teaspoons lemon juice

Heat the oven to 325 F.

In a large Dutch oven over medium-high, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Use paper towels to pat the ribs dry, then season them on all sides with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium, add a quarter of the ribs to the pot and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer them to a large platter or bowl. Repeat with the remaining oil and short ribs, transferring them to the platter or bowl when finished.

Return the pot to the heat and add the onions and the carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.

Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato paste, thyme and bay leaf, then saute for 2 minutes. Transfer the vegetable mixture to the bowl with the ribs. Return the pot to the heat and add the beer. Bring to a boil and simmer until the beer is reduced by about three-quarters.

When the beer is reduced, add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Return the meat and vegetables to the pot and cover with a piece of kitchen parchment. Put the lid on the pot and set in the oven on the lower shelf and cook until the meat is very tender, 4 to 5 hours.

Use tongs to transfer the ribs to a platter. Let them stand until cool enough to be handled.

Meanwhile, strain liquid in the pan into a bowl. Discard the solids and return the liquid to the pot. Let stand for several minutes, then skim off any fat that floats to the surface (or use a fat separator).

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and water. Set the pot over medium-high heat and bring the cooking liquid to a boil. Add half of the flour mixture in a steady stream, whisking. Bring the sauce to a boil, check the consistency and if you would like it thicker, whisk in more of the flour-water mixture. Simmer for 8 minutes. Whisk in the mustard and lemon juice, then season with salt and pepper.

Add the meat to the pot along with any juices from the platter. Cook gently, just until heated through. To serve, arrange some rib meat on each plate and spoon some of the sauce over each portion.

Nutrition information per serving: 620 calories; 290 calories from fat (47 percent of total calories); 32 g fat (13 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 170 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrate; 2 g fiber; 3 g sugar; 57 g protein; 820 mg sodium.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:33 PM   #85
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Wesson makes veggies better...
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2017, 09:51 PM   #86
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

And cats too!
Old 02-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #87
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Something different.
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2017, 03:28 PM   #88
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Carrots Celebrate Recovery of Popularity
A long time ago:

My buddy's father was staying with my buddy and his girlfriend (remember 'Baby'?) and she had made pot roast. She brought buddy's dad a plate and said "It would have been better, but, I was out of carrots."

Buddy's dad, who sounded just like 'Carl' from Slingblade, responded with "Ain't nothing ever been made better by a damned carrot."

ETA: I miss that old guy, he was a trip.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:21 PM   #89
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sandwiches

Cannibal Sandwich
Chop raw beef and onions very fine, season with salt and pepper and spread on lightly buttered brown bread.

Bummers Custard Sandwich
Take a cake of Roquefort cheese and divide in thirds; moisten one third with brandy, another third with olive oil and the other third with Worcestershire sauce. mix all together and place between split water biscuits toasted. Good for a stag lunch.

Aspic Jelly Sandwich
Soak one box (two ounces) of gelatin in one cup of chicken liquor until softened; add three cupfuls of chicken stock seasoned with a little parsley, celery, three cloves, a blade of mace and a dash of salt and pepper. Strain into a dish and add a little shredded breast of chicken; set in a cold place to harden; when cold, slice in fancy shaped and place on slightly butter whole wheat bread. Garnish with a stick of celery.

Violet Sandwich
Cover the butter with violets over night; slice white bread thin and spread with the butter. Put slices together and cover with the petals of the violets.

Mexican Sandwich
A spoonful of baked beans mixed with catsup and butter, served atop a large square cracker.

The Oriental Sandwich
A spread made of cream cheese, maple syrup, and sliced maraschino cherries.

Dyspeptic Sandwich
gluten-free bread… sprinkled with brown bread crumbs.

Popcorn Sandwich
Popcorn which is passed through a meat chopper and combined with sardines, prior to being spread with Parmesan and slid under the broiler.

Peanut butter
Chopped peanuts and the cook’s choice of mayonnaise, sweetened whipped cream, sherry or port wine.

School Sandwich
Buttered white bread and brown sugar.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:46 PM   #90
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I like it cold.
Attached Images