The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-13-2017, 08:38 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Solar Eclipse 2017

So who lives in the path?

I asked because I fucked up with our viewing camping plans and need somewhere driveable from MI to pitch two tents for 3-5 nights..... (MO, IL, TN, KYish)

But why waste a whole thread on my needy idiocy...... so have at it with any other eclipse discussion.....
Old 07-13-2017, 09:16 PM   #2
monster

....so my Brit Expat Friend who lives in the path doesn't seem to think there will be a big problem just rolling up for an unreseravble rustic campsite in a national forest or state park campground, but I'm not so sure. The sitesI had bookmarked all became unreservable or disappeared, so I'm kind of wondering if tent camping is becoming aa popular option and we will have to arrive super-early and fight for space
Old 07-13-2017, 09:25 PM   #3
glatt

Absolutely arrive super early. There are hundreds of sites available for thousands of interested people. There was talk in my troop of camping in that area then for the eclipse, although we decided against it. But if we were considering it, then others were too.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:03 PM   #4
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Absolutely arrive super early. There are hundreds of sites available for thousands of interested people. There was talk in my troop of camping in that area then for the eclipse, although we decided against it. But if we were considering it, then others were too.
...there's a group site available for $130/night.

Do you think Thursday is super-early enough?
Old 07-13-2017, 10:32 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Be interesting to see if anyone is scalping campground reservations on fleabay.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:34 AM   #6
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
...there's a group site available for $130/night.

Do you think Thursday is super-early enough?
I'd imagine yes. But if you can get a reservation, do you need to go early at all?

And can you get the group site or do you have to show that you are affiliated with some group? Maybe you could say it's a swim team camping trip?
Old 07-28-2017, 03:34 PM   #7
glatt

I just bought my glasses today.

I'm sure there are lots of sources for the glasses. Make sure you get legit ISO certified ones so you don't give yourself blind spots on your retinas.

Bought mine from http://www.2017solar.com/free-eclipse-glasses/
4 glasses for $5. They stop taking orders on August 1st so do it today while you are thinking of it.

The eclipse is August 21st and will be visible by everyone in the US to varying degrees assuming the weather cooperates.

Now I just have to figure out how to take pictures. I see pointing your camera directly at the sun will do to the sensor what a magnifying glass will do to ants. Trying to source a cheap camera lens filter. Cheapest I can find is around 20 bucks.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:33 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

About 75% here, not worth going out to look at, and why take pictures of something the internet will have millions of?
Old 07-28-2017, 09:10 PM   #9
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Visible to everyone? All the maps I've seen have a swath going across the midwest, but Texas isn't supposed to be able to see it, are we? Is it just that we'll see a semi circle cross along the bottom of the sun, instead of the full eclipse?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:02 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

What you're seeing is the 70 mile wide TOTAL eclipse. All the US will see some of it. I saw another site I can't find at the moment that shows 75% here.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:42 AM   #11
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Is it just that we'll see a semi circle cross along the bottom of the sun, instead of the full eclipse?

Exactly.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:48 PM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Now I just have to figure out how to take pictures. I see pointing your camera directly at the sun will do to the sensor what a magnifying glass will do to ants. Trying to source a cheap camera lens filter. Cheapest I can find is around 20 bucks.
To see the Venus transit of the Sun, I used a cd. Maybe your uber-resourceful self could make a filter from a cd?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:09 AM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

We live in a divided nation according to the political pundits. This month we will be physically divided if the Eclipse pundits are correct in their gridlock predictions.
Quote:
From a traffic standpoint, though, viewing the total eclipse could prove to be a little too popular. Transportation officials in the 13 states where the total eclipse will be visible have been rushing to finish preparations for dealing with what could be massive traffic jams before, during and after the celestial event. The New York Post has labeled Aug. 21 as the date that "could paralyze America," while NBC News compared it to a zombie apocalypse. To understand whether that's just sensationalism, let's look at what's actually going to happen.

link
Old 08-04-2017, 01:06 PM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Some internet provider (ATT maybe) said they will have mobile cell towers (in KY, anyway) on trucks to handle the heavy internet needs of eclipse watchers in the rural, no/little coverage areas of KY.

I would have never thought of that.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:07 PM   #15
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I might have read that here on Teh Cellar.