The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 08-06-2007, 06:42 PM   #166
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
That's about 2/7ths zucchini by volume. You could probably sneak that much wet sawdust in and noone would be the wiser if you used maple or sweet birch.
I know you arn't here much but when you got the time can you post a good dense sweet zucchini bread recipe?

I have the texture I am looking for in my mind but I can't convert it to the baking dish.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:25 AM   #167
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
This is ratatouille ...Ratatouille can be an all-vegetable entree,...
This reminds me of something I used to do from time to time.
I used to do a mix of a lot of great spices cornmeal, cornflour, and flour and put it in the processor then coat-dredge-coat-fry; green tomatoes, eggplant (preferably Asian), zucchini, summer squash and anything else that is seasonal and good fried. All very young and cross cut and on the same large platter when done.
That way you don't know what you are getting.
There were always good dipping sauces too.
It was a fave with friends and family, I miss doing it.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:18 PM   #168
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Okay, which spices were the "great" spices?
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:01 AM   #169
Urbane Guerrilla

Cool

I don't know from Lamingtons, so here's a link to the first of 61,000 hits on the 'Net on the term "Lamingtons recipes":

Australian Lamingtons Recipe
Old 08-31-2007, 07:36 AM   #170
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

That's a very lazy lamington recipe.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:42 AM   #171
Griff
still says videotape

BBQ Squirrel

~ 4 squirrels, quartered
~ 3 tbsp salt
~ 2 tsp pepper
~ 1 tsp garlic powder
~ 1 tsp onion powder
~ your favorite dry rub
~ 15 charcoal briquets
~ 3 handfuls hickory chips
~ your favorite bbq sauce

In a large pot, boil the squirrel in water seasoned with the salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder for 1 hour or until tender.

In the meantime, soak the hickory chips in water. Light the charcoal and let them get white hot. Place them to one side of your grill.

Remove the squirrel from the water and pat dry. Coat with your favorite dry rub.

Add one handful of wood chips to the hot coals.

Place squirrel on grill across from the hot coals. Cover and smoke for 1 hour. Add a handful of wood chips every half hour.

Add last of the wood chips and baste squirrel with bbq sauce. Smoke for another half hour basting another 3 - 4 times.

Serve with mashed potatoes, sweet corn and buttermilk bisquits.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:43 AM   #172
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

I've had squirrel fried like chicken. It was good.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:55 PM   #173
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

UG, yooo hoooo UGGGGGGGG

Whats quinoa and what can I supplement it with???

I have a recipe for quinoa salad that I want to try, buuuut, I cant find quinoa anywhere locally.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:00 PM   #174
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Oh never mind, I found a website that will sell it to me, stupid bloody hixville pokey town.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:49 AM   #175
Urbane Guerrilla

Yeah, where O where to go for funny grains? The health-food stores in my area sell it packaged or in bulk -- look carefully at the bulk, 'cos quinoa looks like great big amaranth! As I've said, two volumes of stock to one volume, perhaps a little more, of quinoa cooks up nicely in a rice cooker. Or else use water if you're not trying for the pilaf effect.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:01 PM   #176
skysidhe

Clam Bake Stoup

Quote:
This is ratatouille by the classic, slow technique, but ratatouille can be cooked entirely on top of the stove and more quickly without peeling or seeding. It can be left chunky or cooked to a puree. Add cheeses such as feta, goat cheese, mozzarella or Parmesan at the end.

Ratatouille can be an all-vegetable entree, a side dish or a filling of crepes and pita sandwiches. It may be served cold, and ageing in the fridge improves it.

If you really don't want to peel the eggplant, take a very sharp knife and lop the skin off in six or eight pieces; you won't lose much flesh to this. Chop the zucchini and any other squash the same size as the tomatoes, about 1-inch cubes. With the eggplant it matters little if it is chopped so or simply sliced as it will meld into the tomatoes.

Ratatouille

1 Eggplant, 1 1/2 to 2 lb, peeled/trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
About 1/2 c Olive Oil, divided
2 Zucchini, cut in 1/4" slices
1 large Red Bell Pepper, cored, seeded, sliced
1 large Green Bell Pepper
1 large Onion, sliced
2 c Tomatoes, chopped, seeded
1 TBSP Tomato Paste
1 TBSP Minced Garlic
1/2 c minced fresh Basil leaves (or 2 tsp dried)
1 tsp dried Thyme}
1 Bay leaf ...........}optional: Herbes de Provence herb blend may be substituted (rosemary, marjoram, basil, bay leaf, thyme) -- basically whichever you've got on hand. Try a little extra Thyme too.
Salt and fresh ground Pepper

Equipment other than oven: colander, skillet, casserole

In a colander, toss Eggplant with salt, let sit to draw bitter juices out, pat dry.
Preheat oven 350 F.

In large skillet over medium heat, warm 2 TBSP Oil until hot, add half of Eggplant, stirring occasionally cook for 5-7 minutes or until soft. With a slotted spoon, transfer eggplant into casserole dish. Repeat process with remaining Eggplant and same amount of oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes and transfer to casserole.

In 2 more TBSP Oil, saute Bell Peppers 5 min until softened and add to eggplant in casserole.

In same skillet, saute Onion in 1 TBSP Oil for 7 min or until golden, transfer to casserole.

Add Tomatoes to ingredients in casserole dish, and the Tomato Paste, Garlic, Basil, Thyme, Bay Leaf, Salt and Pepper to taste; stir to combine. Cover casserole and bake 30 minutes.

--The Best of France, Evie Richter

Serve with lamb, roast pork, grilled shrimp. Pairs with oven-browned potatoes or crusty bread. Red wine. Keeps well, and improves some with fridge ageing.
oh yum-0 UG

Here's one I want to try.

Clam Bake Stoup Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray, 2007
See this recipe on air Tuesday Sep. 04 at 6:00 PM ET/PT.

Show: 30 Minute Meals
Episode: Clam Up

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 pound kielbasa, diced
4 cups (half a 32-ounce bag) frozen diced hash browns
1 large onion, chopped
4 ribs celery, chopped
1 bay leaf
5 to 6 sprigs fresh thyme
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 rounded tablespoon seafood seasoning (recommended: Old Bay)
4 large ears corn on the cob or 3 cups frozen kernels
1 (15-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
1 quart chicken stock
4 dozen littleneck clams
Hot sauce, to taste
1 lemon, zested and juiced
Handful fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
4 jumbo sourdough English muffins, split
3 tablespoons butter
1 clove garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons chopped chives

Heat a large soup pot with extra-virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the kielbasa and brown for 2 minutes; add the potatoes, onions, celery, bay, thyme, and salt and pepper and let the veggies soften up 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Pat shrimp dry and toss with a rounded tablespoon (a generous palmful) of seafood seasoning.

Invert a small bowl and place at the bottom of a larger bowl. Shuck corn and stand on end on the small bowl. Scrape off kernels. Add corn to soup pot.

Add the tomatoes and stock to the pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the shrimp and clams and replace the cover. Cook until shrimp are pink and firm and the clams have opened up, 5 to 6 minutes. Finish stoup with hot sauce, lemon zest and juice and a handful of parsley.

While the seafood cooks, toast the English muffins. Soften the butter in the microwave. Mash the garlic cloves with a little salt and make a paste. Add the chives and garlic paste to the softened butter and mix. Rub hot toasted muffins with garlic/butter mixture and chop into large dice.

Serve stoup in shallow bowls with muffin croutons. Place an extra bowl at each setting to collect shells as you eat your Clam Bake Stoup.

Last edited by skysidhe; 09-17-2007 at 12:02 PM. Reason: add title
Old 09-18-2007, 02:28 AM   #177
Urbane Guerrilla

I think ol' Rachel gets EVOO into everything short of vanilla ice cream. And my own consumption of EVOO has gone up quite a bit since I started watching her show. Kinda too bad for us guys she's been married for a couple of years, huh?

(Remember to scroll down farther on the page for a paragraph I neglected to copy into the recipe.)
Old 09-18-2007, 10:38 AM   #178
skysidhe

Quote:
I think ol' Rachel gets EVOO into everything short of vanilla ice cream. And my own consumption of EVOO has gone up quite a bit since I started watching her show. Kinda too bad for us guys she's been married for a couple of years, huh?

(Remember to scroll down farther on the page for a paragraph I neglected to copy into the recipe.)
lol true about the EVOO in everything sort of ice cream

I don't know. I thought guys didn't like her for the most part? I thought guys
liked bitchy controlling women or beauty without brains. Of which I fall short or inbetween both .....plus I'm not a guy and I don't really know what they like.

( ok I'll scroll ) edit- ok I have the entire recipe copied to my notepad. thanks!

Last edited by skysidhe; 09-18-2007 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #179
Urbane Guerrilla

I could kind of crush on Rachel, not least for her looking like she should have dimples in her cheeks when she smiles that broad smile -- but she doesn't. Attention-getting.

Hey, she's brunette, she's clearly passionate about food and its creation, she's got a good figure. And she can cook -- and she can teach you how. She makes good money at it too.

Rachel's got a lot going for her. Some don't like her vocal squeaks, but they don't bother me. What does bother me is accidentally treading on my tongue watching her. That's a hell of a way to find out the living room carpet really needs vacuuming.

Well, ninety to ninety-five men out of a hundred like people like you, skysidhe. You know, female people. That, and the fully grown make the best partners. Remember that men as a whole are less inclined to say love loudly than to do love, and long.

Meanwhile, it's a real hoot getting men to do something if you can frame it as an opportunity to show off before women. That is like totally not a secret; you'll see us smile knowingly then, and, laughing a little, go right on to do whatever it is.

Right down to "honey-do" projects.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 09-18-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #180
skysidhe

Quote:
What does bother me is accidentally treading on my tongue watching her. That's a hell of a way to find out the living room carpet really needs vacuuming.
That's a funny image

I do agree that fully grown partners are nice except that by my age if a man isn't attached there are some serious reasons? I don't know I've been out of the loop. It's either that or I am a freak magnent and therefore lose my trust so/ and ....therefore I don't see so clearly.

You might ask the same of a woman who at my age isn't attached. Well for me it has been rasing a kid. My whole focus even to the exclusion of my own needs which isn't healthy but when your plate has been full things just are sometimes.

I do agree that a man usually expresses his love by doing something and I like that since that is my way to express love too. I think giving of oneself is a good way to create harmony in a relationship. A giving back and forth...words don't mean so much if not matched by the action.

So I know that was a little bit personal but since you shared what seemed a genuine effort I thought I would respond in kind.

thanks for the nice little chat

Tags
recipes