The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-12-2006, 04:08 AM   #1
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

American Phrases

It occurred to me whilst reading and contributing to the British phrases thread, that most of what we Brits (and probably other nations too) know of American phrases, comes to us through TV shows and movies. I am guessing that's a fairly narrow experience base. Given how different dialects and language use can be in such a small island as Britain, it stands to reason there's a bunch of innately American phrases that never make it to our tv screens, or that are used differently from one state to the next.

I am a huge fan of any books set in and around Maine, because I love the phrases used by the characters and the culture those books portray.

So.....Any of you Americans care to share any gems you think we might not have come across?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:26 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

How about- I beat him like a rented mule; used interchangably with; beat him like a red-headed step child. Used in competitive situations not necessarily physical. Maybe they don't reflect well on our psyche?
Old 11-12-2006, 07:32 AM   #3
DanaC

Quote:
beat him like a red-headed step child.
Oh my, that's great.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:35 AM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Just like the Brits in the Brit phrases thread, it's hard for me to work out what is distinctly American... and which American phrases are less known.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:59 AM   #5
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Just like the Brits in the Brit phrases thread, it's hard for me to work out what is distinctly American... and which American phrases are less known.
Stay the course.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:57 AM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

"Y'all"

Also, I would guess that these are American: "Gotta pee like a racehorse," and "shotgun wedding."
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:02 PM   #7
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

was just wondering if " well.. fuck me running (down a gravel road) " had made it back across the pond
Old 11-12-2006, 12:07 PM   #8
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

damn. I tell you.. culturally speaking since moving to the south I have had to learn soooooo many more phrases.. therein lies the problem with america.. it's too damn big.. too many regional dialects and phrases.. "all shot out" is a southern phrase meaning 'crazy but in a good way' (heh.. I've had a dozen people call me that, I take it as a compliment personally) still learning..helps that the g/f / neo-wife is a southerner and very intelligent so I can ask her what they mean in a 'northern'/'yankee' sense..
Old 11-12-2006, 12:11 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hold my beer and watch this.
Shit through a tin horn.
Horny as a hoot owl.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:31 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

There's the classic "built like a brick shithouse", but who can figure how that one came to be.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:13 PM   #11
DanaC

That's used a lot in Britain.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:14 PM   #12
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

In the Uk, a lot our phrases come from various sports: sticky wicket, horses for courses etc...... I guess the same is true of the US. We've all heard the 'three strikes and out' thingie (taken from your version of rounders, I believe) but I'm sure there are others....
Old 11-12-2006, 07:19 PM   #13
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMcGee
In the Uk, a lot our phrases come from various sports: sticky wicket, horses for courses etc...... I guess the same is true of the US. We've all heard the 'three strikes and out' thingie (taken from your version of rounders, I believe) but I'm sure there are others....
three strikes and your out is from baseball. I have no clue what rounders is. My mother uses "pertnear" (don't know how to spell it) meaning close to. wow this is hard...hmmm. Yellow bellied snake is a bit outdated but sometimes used. Cows are sometimes referred to as "doggies." "Best in the west." is common when someone is bragging (although normally its in a joking way). Around here references to the street Harry Hines blvd has to do with prostitutes. Goin' muddin' is what the hicks do after it rains...they take their truck (normally) and find a muddy field to drive in. Drunk as a skunk...well i don't think explanation is needed. (unless you don't know what a skunk is). Vittles is food. Crackers are white people, beaners are mexicans, wetbacks are mexicans (pretty racist tho). I'll be back when I can think of some more.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:33 PM   #14
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

is 'hook, line and sinker' also used in the US?
Old 11-12-2006, 07:42 PM   #15
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowhead
was just wondering if " well.. fuck me running (down a gravel road) " had made it back across the pond
Our version of that is "fuck me swinging" or "fuck me drunk" or even "fuck me backwards".....if youre feeling reaallly creative you could even go as far as "fuck me drunk whilst swinging backwards"....but you would almost need to be dying of incredation (I just made that up, but it sounds cool :p ) to use that little gem.

"silly wanker" used to be mainly Australian from what I gather.

"Flamin' Galah" is NOT used by any Australian barr Alf from Home and Away (aussie sitcom).

I personally dont know anyone who says "Crikey".

"Go root your boot"

Getting "pissed" is drunk.

"off his face" is also drunk (but very old school).

I'm sure there are a tonne more, but I cant think of them now.

Pomms - those English buggers

Yanks - those American buggers

the others are NOT PC that I refuse to mention them
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote