The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 04-25-2001, 01:11 PM   #1
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

Sweet tea is predominantly southern. You can get some saccharine-sucking attempt up north, but true sweet tea only comes from the Dixon in Mason-Dixon. As my father so eloquently once put it, "Those boys don't mind chewing on their iced tea, do they?". Also, Coke(tm) is the default value when you say a coke in Atlanta and surrounding area, at least it has been in my experience. It's like declaring a variable without initializing it, it recieves a default value (except in C++, which sucks).

Steve Out
alphageek31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 09:49 AM   #2
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Re: blue fizzy water

I thought I had previously cited this Economist article of 24 Mar 2001:

""Something strange has been happening in Little Rock. Women from around the South have been descending on Arkansas's state capital and making their way to the Wycoff Coffee House. The reason is Niagara blue fizzy Swedish tonic, for which the Wycoff's owner, Lari Williams, is the sole American distributor. After two weeks without a shipment, 1,000 bottles of the potion arrived in Little Rock on Monday morning. By noon, fewer than 500 remained. By Tuesday lunchtime, it had all gone.

It is not unusual for Mrs Williams to find a line of frenzied Southern belles lined up outside the glass door of the Wycoff to buy the herbal drink. But demand has spread well beyond modern-day Scarlett O'Haras. Women from all over America have jammed the coffee house’s phone lines begging for the six-ounce bottles of blue. ...

Niagara, which is made by Nordic Drinks in Stockholm, has not been particularly successful in Europe. ...

Just as religious types never say hello to each other in liquor shops, some Arkansans like to avoid eye contact as they pick up their Niagara. One Little Rock socialite orders a cappuccino, whilst giving Mrs Williams a discreet wink. Two bottles of the love potion are put down at her table in a plain brown shopping bag.""
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 11:05 PM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

When I lived in DC (and traveled south to Virginia), it was incredibly hard to get iced tea without it already being sweetened. (Don't get me wrong, I love sweetened tea, but I also like the taste of plain tea.)

Now, I find it hard just to get iced tea here...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2001, 10:47 AM   #4
alphageek31337
Enemy Combatant/Evildoer

tea again

First off, I apologize for starting this as a new thread (it was meant to be a reply). I'd also like to add that you're right, it's damn near impossible to get good iced tea in Pennsylvania (I mean, we have a well, and our iced tea is still better than that in most restaraunts). I'll never understand it.

I'd also like to tack more on to the C++ variable analogy. Like an uninitialized variable in C++, I have to say that the average Coke can is filled with random garbage.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

---Friedrich Nietzsche
alphageek31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2001, 02:36 PM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Hey, no apology necessary, it's good to finally see someone other than me start a thread in the IotD section!

And as far as Coke and programming go, I'm okay with it as long as they *declare* their variables!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote