The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-04-2015, 11:32 AM   #3181
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
UT, here is your friendly corporation looking out for your best interest.
I was aware of the story last week, the Times is late to it

You could blame the Disney corporation for disrupting these 250 jobs; or you could blame the US Government's H1B Visa program which permitted it, and which has disrupted approximately 750,000 careers in this country, including mine.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:33 AM   #3182
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

This story is GRRRREAT!

Because tigers can often be found chillin' in a driveway in Grand Rapids. I suppose it could be Richard Parker.

http://wate.com/2015/06/03/officers-...stuffed-tiger/
Attached Images

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:07 PM   #3183
glatt

Looks kinda real, if you squint.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:19 PM   #3184
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I know an animal control officer who gets called out frequently for rubber snakes and reptiles.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:34 PM   #3185
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Because tigers can often be found chillin' in a driveway in Grand Rapids. I suppose it could be Richard Parker.

http://wate.com/2015/06/03/officers-...stuffed-tiger/
Nope, Chuck Testa!
Old 06-11-2015, 01:17 PM   #3186
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

This just in from Buckinghamshire's premier journal of record, the Bucks Herald.

No doubt heads will roll at the New York Times because they missed this scoop. A poop scoop I suppose you could call it.

Quote:
Shoppers’ horror as still-pooping dog runs amok in shopping centre

17:12Thursday 11 June 2015

A rogue dog caused a messy scene in the Friars Square shopping centre yesterday, leaving a trail of smelly destruction.

Shopper Damien Lucas was walking close to the bridge to the car park at around 3.45pm when he smelled what he thought was a ‘burned hair aroma’.

All of a sudden he says a man sprinted by, pulling his dog on a lead.

But Mr Lucas only realised why the man was running so quickly when he stepped in what the dog was leaving behind.

He said: “There was a horrible smell, then I saw a bloke with a dog on the end of a lead at the end of the walk way – he was sprinting which struck me as unusual.

“The smell was getting worse as I got towards the walkway, then I stepped in something.”

He added: “I tried to warn people but they were just looking at me, and because they were looking at me they were stepping in it. There was about five or six lumps all along the walkway and the smell was awful.”

Friars Square manager Andy Margieson said that security stopped the man as he tried to enter the shopping centre, and security staff called cleaners to deal with the mess as soon as it happened.

He said: “The man did pick up some of the poo and put it in the bin, but he obviously left some behind which was dealt with by our cleaners. This is why we do not allow dogs in the shopping centre.”
Old 06-12-2015, 08:12 AM   #3187
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

My parents will be glad to have missed that excitement.
I did have a good laugh at Mr Lucas taking his share of responsibility though
Old 06-12-2015, 08:22 AM   #3188
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

It really is 'parish pump' stuff, isn't it?
It's quite bizarre what is published in the BH on an almost weekly basis, but they've excelled themselves this time.

Last edited by Carruthers; 06-12-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:33 AM   #3189
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Our next door neighbour got in the Bucks Herald years back. She bought and paid for her shopping in Sainsbury's, but when she got home she realised she hadn't got her fishfingers. So she called the store, but no-one had alerted the lady at the checkout. It could only therefore be presumed that the next shopper had capitalised on Maureen's careless bag-packing and walked off with a free box of fishfingers.

She sent a letter for publication, but the Bucks Herald was so moved by her plight that they sent a reporter and photographer round. I seem to remember her posing with a similar item and a cross look on her face, but that might be a false memory from all the mock-ups my brother and I made up (and laughed ourselves quite weak about).

Slow news day maybe?
Old 06-12-2015, 11:13 AM   #3190
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Fishfingers. I first saw that as 'fishfingerers'. WTH?

I'm assuming they're what we'd call fish sticks, and what I call fishdicks.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:14 PM   #3191
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Fishfingers. I first saw that as 'fishfingerers'. WTH?

I'm assuming they're what we'd call fish sticks, and what I call fishdicks.

Google images for 'fish sticks' shows exactly what we call fish fingers.
Hit the nail on the head, Grav.
I wonder why the different names?

Speaking of names, I wandered into a supermarket in Torrington, Wyoming, looking for familiar sustenance and my gaze was drawn to what we know as fig rolls.
Amusingly, they were called 'Cobblers'. I say amusingly, because 'Cobblers'! is an expression which can be loosely translated as 'I do not agree with your hypothesis my good man. Kindly trouble me with it no further'.

Cobblers!
Old 06-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #3192
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
snip--

I say amusingly, because 'Cobblers'! is an expression which can be loosely translated as 'I do not agree with your hypothesis my good man. Kindly trouble me with it no further'.

Cobblers!
I'm totally stealing this. I can imagine many situations when this is perfectly applicable. I hope the subliminal message is received when the surface message is spoken.

Kindly trouble me with it no further.

Amusing indeed.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:43 PM   #3193
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

It's from cockney rhyming slang btw.
Cobblers' awls = balls.

Quite a few words we use have ruder meanings if you know their origins, although some are benign. For example barnet, meaning hairstyle, comes from Barnet Fair = hair.
Butchers, meaning to check something out, comes from Butcher's hook = look.
Bottle however, meaning courage or pluck, is from bottle and glass = arse. So if you say someone's lost their bottle, you're suggesting they pooped themselves in fright.

I'm not sure how well travelled even the contractions are outside of London.

Back to weird news (and local "news") it turns out that cats in Wharfedale now have opposable thumbs.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2015, 03:40 PM   #3194
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Bottle however, meaning courage or pluck, is from bottle and glass = arse. So if you say someone's lost their bottle, you're suggesting they pooped themselves in fright.
That so? Awesome. I had always just assumed it was the idea of courage found in a bottle - like dutch courage - so if you'd lost your bottle, you'd lost your nerve.

That's one of the things that always fascinates me with slang - often they have an actual meaning, a metaphor, or rhyme, well-understood by all at the time they came into currency, then that original meaning fell away yet we still understand the point. We just attach another likely meaning to arrive at the same place.

'tenter hooks' is the classic example, for me. I know we've talked about it before. We all instinctively know what we mean by tenter hooks despite that production process no longer being part of our landscape - most people wouldn't really know what tenter hooks were (or indeed tender hooks - which somehow conveys exactly the same sense ) but the image the word now conjures is just as effective in conveying the same meaning as the original.

I remember an awesome episode of Star Trek Next Gen, where they encountered a race that communicated entirely through metaphor and allegory. Fascinating really. So much of our day-to-day language and expression is indirect.

...... sorry ....bit of a tangent. Just smoked something marvellous.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:41 PM   #3195
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Was it a kipper? Will you be back for breakfast?