Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Creative Expression
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Creative Expression Post your own works and chat about them

Old 04-15-2014, 05:41 AM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Holy shit, I missed this thread.

The battle of the Shit-Stirrers!
Hurry, hurry, hurry, step right up, right here in the center ring!
One crazy, one maybe less so, can you decipher the intent?
Vote you're choice with the coupon off your popcorn or Cracker Jacks box.

Did this cause Lamplighter drive off in a shiny new Snit?

The Cellar is like a coffee shop? Like a family of crazy relatives? Like a community?
Hell no, more like a city... not Gotham mind you, but a genuine bigger than a town, city.
Wandering around you see things that are familiar and reassuring. Sometimes you'll see things that are disgusting or disturbing.
Sometimes it depends on your mood. The city looks different on the way home from work if it's been a good day or bad day.

You might see the cop tell a guy to empty his pockets and seeing they were empty, give the guy a couple bucks for food. Yo, internet... could happen.
Or maybe the happy drunk who waves at people, cars, busses, trashcans, puking up what looks like green sewer rat. Eww, grossed out... but safe.

In the Cellar you're safe... however you're ego, pride, and pedestal, are on their own.

Damn, I missed my chance to be a link in the chain.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:40 AM   #17
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Well, he hasn't been back since. Not sure describing it as a 'shiny new snit' is fair. I suspect he was a little disgusted.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:15 AM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Well, he hasn't been back since. Not sure describing it as a 'shiny new snit' is fair. I suspect he was a little disgusted.
Fair? We ain't got no fair. We don't need no stinkin' fair.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #19
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
JBK's open, lucid, and emotional, poem above, is dramatic a call for relief from an verbal adult bully.
I'm hopeful the Dwellar community responds in some way to prevent any more such episodes.
JBK's 'poem' (more lik an Eminem-rap-a-like) was open, and it was emotional...'Lucid'? Not so much. I've never seen a 'lucid' JBK post.

Either Lamplighter doesn't know what lucid means, or it means something different in the PDX.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:28 PM   #20
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Holy shit, I missed this thread.

The battle of the Shit-Stirrers!
Hurry, hurry, hurry, step right up, right here in the center ring!

--snip--

Damn, I missed my chance to be a link in the chain
Maybe not. sexobon is trolling recruiting for input. You could be a link ***and*** a tool. All it takes is one little private message to him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Just seeing if there were any stragglers who didn't bite the first time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
You took it for what it was. Others, whose interventions were well intentioned but ineffective (as elsewhere noted by glatt), are just reading into it what they want for their own purposes. I'm results oriented and simply catalyzed the inevitable (also noted by glatt). It would have been inappropriate for the moderators to do that, thus creating a niche for a plain vanilla dwellar experienced in cutting losses to step up and facilitate their ability to prevent further degradation of the community.

If you want to learn the procedure and underlying principles, post your interest in this thread. I'll respond by PM to those whom I believe will appropriately employ and maintain a chain of custody on the information. While I don't generally do other than administrative PMs, there is an occasional exception. I believe the community would benefit from a few others knowing this particular elicitation technique. If you don't hear from me, you're not a candidate and I won't tell you why.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:42 PM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
All it takes is one little private message to him.
Handle that for me would you, let me know what his response is to your PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:08 PM   #22
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

*thnort!*
Old 04-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #23
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

From day one in the Cellar back in APR 06, I've had the Cellar administration and one other person on my contact list. That was Tonchi, who invited me to check this place out. Other than those, I've done one PM in the past eight years. That was a professional courtesy to regular.joe, who requested it in the forums, while on active duty putting his life on the line for us. Abba-de, abba-de, abba-de, th-th-th-that's all folks!
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Oh ferchristsake, you make it sound like an accomplishment.
You choose not to receive or send PMs. Fine, your choice.
After all, isn't that what Regular Joe was fighting for?
But personal choice isn't equal to a noble goal,
not pulling the sword from the stone.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:23 PM   #25
sexobon

That's your interpretation. It's a little skewed; but, at you advanced age not unexpected. I was just letting people know so they don't waste their time trying.

Did you know that if you get a friend request, you can't get it out of your notification box; unless, you reply one way or the other ... you have to reply. Make yourself useful and find a way around that Mr. former moderator.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #26
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Nay, don't do windows, besides I have no power here. Former is like being Col Sanders, sounds good but nobody salutes you... think Rodney Dangerfield. All I can do to keep 'em off the lawn.

Besides, why expend worry/effort over something which doesn't bother me, I'll just step over it like the dead cat in the living room. Life is so much easier when you're not anal.

Hey, I've got a WWII Airborne Glider badge. Shiny silver, too heavy for aluminum, non-magnetic, brass I'd guess. I've seen Vietnam era ones, black, green, dark. Do they still use them or are they now a blast from the past?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:58 PM   #27
sexobon

I've never seen anyone wearing a glider badge on their uniform. Wikipedia says the closing date for award of the glider badge is in '61 although qualifying events ceased many years earlier. Everyone awarded the badge would still be authorized to wear it; but, I don't think there could be anyone left on active duty. Retirees; however, are authorized to wear their uniforms on appropriate occasions and there may still be someone out there with it on theirs.

If you haven't already checked, see if it has Sterling or .925 on the back of the badge as I'm sure some were made. In my day, sterling silver qualification badges were optional, available for purchase through the PX or Clothing Sales Store. Issued badges were 5% silver filled base metal marked 1/20 SF.

During the period your badge comes from, sterling silver jewelry was sometimes Rhodium plated to keep it tarnish free and shiny though they did the same with base metal versions too. I wore an older, all shiny plated base metal version of the French parachutist badge rather than the contemporary antique finish one they issued me in France. US Army regs at the time permitted antique finish; or, "bright" finish badges though all the badges on one's uniform had to be the same.

There has always been plenty of collectors of military insignias. In some parts of the country there are militaria (military paraphernalia) shows which like gun shows, coin shows, and other hobbyist shows have a bourse and such. People there can authenticate (differentiate USGI from a period commercial copy) and elaborate on what you have.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:32 AM   #28
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No markings but it's shiny as hell with no hint of fingerprints no less corrosion, some 70 odd years later. Granted it wasn't handle much over the years, but it wasn't protected other than rattling around the dresser drawer.

I was curious if it was a discontinued badge from so long ago and far away that it would be obvious it couldn't have been mine. That way I could pin it to my hat without being accused of misrepresenting by the medal Nazis who I think are bat-shit crazy. I've seen them fuck with a guy wearing some ribbons and tin on a fucking muscle shirt. I don't want to put myself in a position where I have to shoot some fucker over dumb shit.