The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-29-2020, 12:21 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Just because you can.... should you?

Just idle musings on a rainy day, really....

The British PM is a dad again -at 55.

Running around with/after 5 year-olds is pretty exhausting at 35, never mind 60. It's not unusual for children to be primarily raised by only one of the parents and/or staff, but...

Assuming a 55 year-old father continues in reasonable health, when his son is in his teens, when parenting is arguably its hardest, he will be an old man. This doesn't seem fair to the child or the mother, but mum knew what she was getting into and the child will never have any other experience to compare it to...

And then, when the young man is at college or starting to raise a family of his own, when he's old enough to appreciate and young enough to still need the advice of a father.... his father will die. Younger parents die too, but with older parents, it's a given this will happen.

Of course every case is different and in this particular case, this is the first child for the new mum whose body clock must've been ticking loud enough to replace Big Ben's chimes and hopefully weighed up the pros and cons....

...but I can't help but feel bad for the child. Many older parents chose the same schools we chose for our children. Schools with big parental involvement. But they weren't able to get down in the sandpit or run along holding the back of the bike. And that's ok, they knew what they were signing up for. But I saw their kids not understanding why their parents weren't doing those things like the other moms and dads.

Then again, those parents generally had more money to provide amazing experiences and more time to talk with the kids as they got older whilst I was a frazzled wreck relying on the public schools for things like music tuition. None of my kids have been skiing and we live in the frozen North...

You only ever get to do it one way and I have never heard an older parent say they regretted it, even the oops parents, and now they are older, my kids' peers with older parents seem cool about it, but this made me wonder if there are adults whose parents were older who feel a bit cheated now? (for want of a better phrase)
Old 04-29-2020, 12:37 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Reasonably he should be around until the kid is 30 and damn well better to be ready to handle life on his own. Besides, kids don't listen anyway, smartalec whippersnappers think they know everything.
My brother is 11 years younger and having older parents with better income made a huge difference in our lives.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:51 AM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

There are the health effects on the baby to take into consideration as well.

I know a great older Dad who is a physical specimen but the clock is ticking. He's not typical, its his first marriage and his wife has adult kids. I wouldn't do it but I can see the attraction. I also know an old man in an Alzheimer's home whose trophy wife and daughter pretend doesn't exist. TBF they cut him out of their lives long ago except for the money part.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:29 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
...except for the money part.
I wonder if that combination of words has ever been used before?