The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-25-2008, 09:52 AM   #16
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Me too. I love kids. I never had the desire to have my own, but I like kids. I tell people that kids and animals love me because they don't know any better. Someone once said maybe it's just because they sense I'm nice. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone!

I'm wondering how LJ's day with the kids at work is going.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:45 AM   #17
icileparadise
Coronation Incarnate

I'm half Swiss and half British as if you haven't guessed and I choose to live here in Switz coz I like it, guess what? In Switz. we have an official day whereupon the workforce bring their kids to the work for a day. It's not obligatory but encouraged by the Federal Govt. It's amazing and the children get day release from school. It's most popular at primary age and I applaud such programs so well done LJ. It's interesting how closely Switzerland and USA are linked. The Swiss version of the Decl. of Independence toured the USA a couple of years ago to great success. There are also many similarities between USA and Switz. much maligned recently is the credit woes. Anyway I agree with LJ - bring your kids to work once a year under the agreement of the Govt. and it is a good thing. Who could argue otherwise. Yes I know sewage workers and grave diggers might feel otherwise but you get the gist?
icileparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:53 AM   #18
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Actually I think sewage workers and gravediggers should take other people's children to work too! Same with anyone in the public sector.

See what a dead human body looks like (within a reasonable age limit I mean). See what other people have to do in order to allow us to flush the toilet and forget about what we've just done. See other teenagers come into A&E overdosed, hurt by DUI, speeding etc.

And in a more mundane way - see how interesting jobs are if you leave school without qualifications. What - you got bored watching Mum on the checkout all day? Guess what - that's what you'll get if you leave school without qualifications and when you have to pay the bills. It will show them how sometimes you have to deal with it to buy your offspring the latest must-have gadget.

I wholly approve.
It's a great idea all round.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:07 AM   #19
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

going great. every one is glad to see them, even the one customer i just had. they've been helping me run deals upstairs, and reloaded my forms drawer......

I had them clock in when we got here. Spencer got to bang the gong....they know the codes to the security locked doors.

fun
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:07 AM   #20
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Sounds great! Good to hear.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:10 AM   #21
icileparadise
Coronation Incarnate

I agree with your thought Sundaegirl - kids are more resilient than we give them credit for, their childhood is sadly over by age 12 even 11. I was still a child at 18. Let them see the real life for what it is, after all they see it all now due to the media that surrounds them. Perhaps the real thing is better for them to experience than reality tv. Poor things. I had such a nice childhood in the UK. circa 1970 - 1980. Gone now baby gone.
icileparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #22
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I remember doing "take your daughter to work day" (back when it really was just daughters; I'm glad it eventually got expanded) a couple of times with my mom. She's a computer QA analyst. There are few things more boring than watching someone sit in front of a computer all day, with zero coworker interaction except perhaps two or three phone calls. Fortunately she had a small couch in her office and she didn't really notice me taking naps throughout the day. At the time it convinced me that sitting in front of a computer by myself all day was definitely not what I wanted to do. Looks like the joke's on me.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:20 PM   #23
lookout123
changed his status to single

My dad worked in a afactory so I couldn't do that as a kid for safety reasons. That and I don't think he ever really wanted me to see what he did for 10 hours a day 6 days a week for all those years.

Of course, he helped me get hired there during college after I'd casually mentioned considering working in management there. I loved working there, but quickly realized it was because I wouldn't spend 30 + years in that building.