The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-26-2008, 11:03 AM   #31
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Maybe it's a phoney ID. Someones sock puppet?
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:09 AM   #32
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
Maybe it's a phoney ID. Someones sock puppet?
uuuh. What? Who's phoney...ID? Huh?
Old 04-26-2008, 11:18 AM   #33
icileparadise
Coronation Incarnate

I don't want to upset anyone but it intrigues me how us humans feel so compassionatly for pets when we are so quiet and dignified about human troubles and am not speaking about human deaths. We seem to steel ourselves about the courage of humans but when it come to little or big animals we lose it. Now Cicero you are a woman of life bear with me I just wish to know how and why we humans make this disitinction. For example I was with my infant daughter in a park one day when she had to really take a crap and I held her under a tree with broken ground under it to do it and some people said to us to go to a toilet or use a diaper. I said to them coz they had a dog like your dog pisses and craps in a public toilet instead of all over the place.

We look at animals differently. That's all I'm saying. I have a blind woman lives near me and her Guide Dog is astonishing; it crosses a really busy road for her and acts like a human in every caring sense. I am astonished how a dog can be so trained in a way that we can't. It's never distracted even by other dogs. Fascinating.
icileparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #34
skysidhe

@ icileparadise.......do we know you by another name? I mean do you log in here under another name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icileparadise View Post
I don't want to upset anyone but it intrigues me how us humans feel so compassionatly for pets when we are so quiet and dignified about human troubles and am not speaking about human deaths. We seem to steel ourselves about the courage of humans but when it come to little or big animals we lose it. Now Cicero you are a woman of life bear with me I just wish to know how and why we humans make this disitinction. For example I was with my infant daughter in a park one day when she had to really take a crap and I held her under a tree with broken ground under it to do it and some people said to us to go to a toilet or use a diaper. I said to them coz they had a dog like your dog pisses and craps in a public toilet instead of all over the place.

We look at animals differently. That's all I'm saying. I have a blind woman lives near me and her Guide Dog is astonishing; it crosses a really busy road for her and acts like a human in every caring sense. I am astonished how a dog can be so trained in a way that we can't. It's never distracted even by other dogs. Fascinating.
*reads your last post* nevermind...it's not important.I don't want to know.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:37 AM   #35
icileparadise
Coronation Incarnate

No why are you suspicious? It's me. Just this pet/animal thing intigues me. I eat meat but am disgusted at wholesalers abbottoirs who would not be. We treat animals in a different way to humans that all I'm exploring here. What do you mean another name Sky? I am not another name. See how contentious this animal thing can become. We eat them. It's how we treat them that is the point.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:42 AM   #36
skysidhe

okie dokie
Old 04-26-2008, 11:49 AM   #37
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Look, ya'll---ici is just asking why we seem to have more compassion for animals than people sometimes. To me, this is an easy question. Animals are so innocent...they don't try to manipulate or do you wrong and they are completely dependant upon us (well, I'm talking pets here, of course) so it makes it EASIER to love them.

I am not stoic in the face of anyone's death or illness and I doubt I could stand at a funereal and be stoic, brave or emotionless. thankfully, I"ve only had to do that once in my life and I did indeed cry very much.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:08 PM   #38
skysidhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
Look, ya'll---ici is just asking why we seem to have more compassion for animals than people sometimes.
My response is: It must be sunny out where Brianna lives today.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #39
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Cicero you are a woman of life bear with me I just wish to know how and why we humans make this disitinction.
I honestly read this over and over as: Cicero you are a woman of life bear, with me, I just want to know how and why we humans make this distinction.
lol!
Now I got ya!!

The reason why we make this distinction is the same reason why people don't like to watch your infant poo in public parks. We are supposed to have reasoning on our side, and be civilized.

People act out of grief or compassion in many different ways. If we weren't forced to show respect at funerals and be somber, we would be wallowing all over the caskets and flowers..not giving anyone a quiet moment of reflection for the person they also lost.

Dog deaths are less formal unless you are talking about our dog chamois that we bought a funeral plot for in a respectable pet cemetary that had a somber respectable funeral.

Example Dog: As soon as I saw my puppy dead in the street as it had been run over by a car, I dropped to my knees to pick it up, and could not see where I was carrying it because my eyes were full of tears. I was in shock and heaving, and sobbing all at the same time. It (he) as in, Astro, was limp in my arms as I carried it (he) as in, Astro, home in a massive state of dramatic grief.

Example Human: When I saw that my friend was showcased on the nightly news as dead, I went to his house, and saw no one was home. I dropped to my knees in the street and pounded my fist into the pavement, heaved, and sobbed. My friend had to pull me into her car as I was in a massive state of dramatic grief and quit functioning.

I don't do that at funerals.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:51 PM   #40
icileparadise
Coronation Incarnate

Dear Cicero, I never meant to go this way but your experieces have helped me. I to have dealt with death and yours is just as painful. Am sorry to bring this study to this. You can not be alone in your past griefs as will I.

I think we should let this thread go. Death is not easy at any level.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:46 PM   #41
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'd like to speak up for Icile, in case anyone is still under the troll/ sock puppet delusion - I've known him for a few months and he is a genuine case.

And I concur with some of his questions. Anyone who knows me will know this isn't a new position for me. Personally I've cried over animal's deaths. And I mourned the loss of my cats far more than my husband (not death - I walked out on all three of them but I'd have taken the cats if it was fair).

I know when my babbas die I will mourn them more sincerely than any animal yet, just because they give so much back. But never, never, NEVER more than I've hurt over lovers, friends betrayal, the fear I have of a family member dying.

I'm just not that sentimental about animals. I'll look after them to the best of my ability. But they are animals. There seems to be a line drawn in my mind. For example it distresses me when I read people inciting violence against someone who was cruel to animals. I wouldn't call anyone deliberately cruel a friend, but I find it harder to condone deliberate harm to another human being. Maybe I'm just a hard bitch.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:24 PM   #42
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

a hard bitch?

Oh, my! NOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo! You're the sweetest!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #43
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I don't want to upset anyone but it intrigues me how us humans feel so compassionatly for pets when we are so quiet and dignified about human troubles and am not speaking about human deaths. We seem to steel ourselves about the courage of humans but when it come to little or big animals we lose it.
Because that is the custom where you, and I, live, doesn't make it a universal truth. In many parts of the world, animals are viewed as food or tools, only.
Quote:
We look at animals differently. That's all I'm saying. I have a blind woman lives near me and her Guide Dog is astonishing; it crosses a really busy road for her and acts like a human in every caring sense.
No, it acts like a dog... faithful and dedicated to please it's human. That's why losing such a friend is so painful.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:48 AM   #44
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

I'm astonished that the difficulty of adopting black dogs has been noticed by others and the reasons I felt contributed to it, and more, were so well expressed in the links posted by Cloud. When litters of black or mostly black pups would come in I'd try to get them split up (improved their chances) or reduced in number. Personally, if I had to pick a yellow or black Labrador and all else was equal, I'd go with yellow - my reason is that I invest a lot in my pets both verbally and non-verbally. Black fur around dark eyes makes it harder to enjoy the marvelous expression our canine friends transmit. But mostly it's because dark fur shows up more on the carpet!
Old 04-27-2008, 07:53 AM   #45
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

In addition to Big Black Dog Syndrome there is Small White Dog Syndrome. Really. But it's a problem with the dog, not the humans who are looking at it.