Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-22-2017, 07:26 AM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

There's another story at your link.
Quote:
Twenty five tonnes of "festering pigeon faeces" have been removed from an 675-year-old ancient English monument.
From the IOtD on Passenger Pigeons.
Quote:
Let us now, kind reader, inspect their place of nightly rendezvous... The dung lay several inches deep, covering the whole extent of the roosting place, like a bed of snow... As the period of their arrival approached, their foes anxiously prepared to receive them. Some were furnished with iron pots containing sulphur, others with torches of pine knots, many with poles, and the rest with guns.. Suddenly there burst forth a general cry of “Here they come!” The noise which they made, though yet distant, reminded me of a hard gale at sea passing through the rigging of a close-reefed vessel. As the birds arrived and passed over me, I felt a current of air that surprised me. Thousands were soon knocked down by the pole men. The birds continued to pour in. The fires were lighted, and a magnificent as well as wonderful and almost terrifying sight presented itself. The pigeons, arriving by thousands, alighted everywhere, one above another, until solid masses as large as hogsheads were formed on the branches all round. Here and there the perches gave way under the weight with a crash and, falling to the ground, destroyed hundreds of the birds beneath, forcing down the dense groups with which every stick was loaded. It was a scene of uproar and confusion.
Quote:
Bristol City Council said there is nothing it can do as the spikes are on private property.
Sounds like they have the option of cutting the trees down.

We've upset the balance and knocked down their predators, now the flocks will grow like Topsy.