The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #16
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 6,250
OT but I think worth quoting, Michael Graham on la Garofalo:

Quote:
Having run into [Jeanene Garofalo] a few times since then, I've come to two conclusions.

First, there is a pleasant and intelligent person buried somewhere inside that rude, angry, tattoo-covered exterior. Second, the rational Janeane can't escape this hideous trap because her far-left politics have literally driven her mad. Indeed, it could be argued that being a nut is a requirement for being a member in good standing of the Obama Left.

Don't take my word for it. Ask a liberal.

Pew Research did. A 2009 study by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life asked Americans about their beliefs in supernatural phenomena like psychic powers, astrology, and reincarnation. . . and that some objects contain "spiritual energy."
The results showed liberal Democrats about twice as likely to believe in this stuff than the conservatives they despise so loudly or the independents.
__________________
Wanna stop school shootings? End Gun-Free Zones, of course.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #17
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 6,250
I do have occasional trouble spelling Janeane Garofalo right. Sigh.
__________________
Wanna stop school shootings? End Gun-Free Zones, of course.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:19 PM   #18
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 63,822
The hand wringing lefties did it, after the chest thumpers failed for 8 years.
__________________
Everything is interesting... look closer.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #19
Sundae
polaroid of perfection
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: West Yorkshire
Posts: 24,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
I do have occasional trouble spelling Janeane Garofalo right. Sigh.
She was in The Truth About Cats and Dogs, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
The hand wringing lefties did it, after the chest thumpers failed for 8 years.
You can achieve a surpising amount when have a strong left hand grip.
__________________
Life's hard you know, so strike a pose on a Cadillac
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #20
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
You can achieve a surpising amount when have a strong left hand grip.
And I do.
__________________
Laugh and the world laughs with you; cry and the world laughs AT you.
Sheldonrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #21
Jill
Colonist Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Redondo Beach, CA (transplant from St. Louis, MO)
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post

They aren't. Republicans always do appreciate the Republic's victories. Some non-Republicans resolutely avoid grasping this, to the wonderment of all who see it.
Fascinating. What blinders are you wearing that you aren't seeing the gnashing of teeth and utter flailing of the rightwingers that Obama got this done while at the same time trying to give complete credit for it to Bush? The right is downright apoplectic right now, desperately trying to figure out how to take this victory away from President Obama.

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/a...g-picture.html
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ould-escalate/
http://rightwingnews.com/uncategoriz...-ladens-death/
http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...aden-dead.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post

Thinking of this sort illustrates the mentality of the Left -- too childish for Urbane Guerrilla to respect in the slightest, and I damn it categorically and often. Stupid, you see, should hurt. It should hurt as much as is needed for the lesson to be taught. For some minds, that means a level of agony that would double that of terminal prostate cancer, so slow are they to learn what they should.

Do not respect such minds -- they are slow and not nimble. In severe cases, meds must be considered. There are some folks who are only clinically sane. (Which is roughly what Michael Graham said of Janeane Garofolo.)
Ahhh, more personal attacks against Democrats and Liberals. So mature. What kind of mentality does that reflect, you think?
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 63,822
Clearly Obama located Bin laden, because he's secretly one of them.
__________________
Everything is interesting... look closer.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #23
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: above 7,000 feet
Posts: 7,208
Yah, that's a good one, Bruce.
__________________
Keep Your Bodies Off My Lawn

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #24
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 6,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Fascinating. What blinders are you wearing that you aren't seeing the gnashing of teeth and utter flailing of the rightwingers that Obama got this done while at the same time trying to give complete credit for it to Bush? The right is downright apoplectic right now, desperately trying to figure out how to take this victory away from President Obama.

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/a...g-picture.html
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ould-escalate/
http://rightwingnews.com/uncategoriz...-ladens-death/
http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...aden-dead.html
Ahhh, more personal attacks against Democrats and Liberals. So mature. What kind of mentality does that reflect, you think?
Jill, you do not have a rational reason to vote for a Democrat, ever again, for any office. You do have falsehoods, rationalizations, and excuses, but I, as one of the people of freedom, a small-government sort of fellow, do not.

The Democrats successfully win elections relying on the votes of the socialistic, the parasitic, and the dull-normal fellow travelers.

Lets me out of that constituency, doesn't it? I registered Libertarian Party, so I don't exactly have a dog in the Dem/Rep fight. You do know which dog I root for.

It's not that I couldn't see some blogger bloviations -- it's that I care mighty little for them, hewing to the sort of opinionmongering that is giving the due credit to both -- Obama got schooled in the business of fighting a sub-rosa war and after two years' experience has had an unequivocal victory in this sort of unconventional, non-state conflict in which symbolic sorts of victories have more weight than they do in contentions between states.

An attack upon the policy record hardly means an attack upon persons. But again, and again and ten billion times again: stupid should and must hurt until it educates the educable to quit pissing on that electric fence. When you are committed to an ideology that obliges you to choose the lesser, the more collectivist choice, does that say you're intelligent?

Turning to a posted link or two: it is a complete mischaracterization of the Washington Times editorial to call it "flailing of the rightwingers" when it is a straightforward account of who did what, and how long. When I lived in Prince George's County, Maryland, I was much in the habit of buying both each day's Washington Post and Washington Times, leaning their editorial positions up against each other to see what insight dropping a mental plumb between their respective slants might give. Sometimes it was illuminating. Eventually I got the idea the Times staffers were the less dickheaded, and rather the less statist. Encouraging, really.

Does
Quote:
George W. Bush started the hunt for Bin Laden and almost everything Obama has done to get Osama has been a continuation or an enhancement of the programs Bush put in place. That’s not an effort to steal credit from Obama, because he does deserve credit, but it’s just giving Bush some rightful credit for the part he played in helping to kill Bin Laden.
sound to you like flailing around to be unfair to Obama? This is all a matter of public record, and it's all over the place. If you think this is utter flailing, shame on you. You could always reread the piece. Indeed you should, for you have grasped little of its essence. I could keep on citing paragraph after paragraph from that linked article of its evenhandedness, but a tw-ish wall-of-text isn't my style. I'm not an obsessive.

Pp. 130-131 of this thread in CityData's forum are a typical-enough Internent firefight, yeah. An example of the sort of thing I don't waste a lot of caring upon. And your point might have been?

Honestly, Jill dear. Don't post stuff that invites condescension; use the old noodle. We are smarter than you'd like, or would like to acknowledge, tougher than you could handle, and we're fertile too. See Sarah Palin. And we make more sensible arguments, as anyone reading Jonah Goldberg's Proud To Be Right really has to acknowledge. We read things presently beyond your ken, but you can catch up. If you have the courage of your convictions, I invite you to test them.
__________________
Wanna stop school shootings? End Gun-Free Zones, of course.

Last edited by Urbane Guerrilla; 05-02-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Urbane Guerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #25
Jill
Colonist Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Redondo Beach, CA (transplant from St. Louis, MO)
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post

Jill, you do not have a rational reason to vote for a Democrat, ever again, for any office. You do have falsehoods, rationalizations, and excuses, but I, as one of the people of freedom, a small-government sort of fellow, do not.
You are free to rationalize your own politics. You are not free to do so with mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post

The Democrats successfully win elections relying on the votes of the socialistic, the parasitic, and the dull-normal fellow travelers.
Interesting perspective. I find that the Republicans successfully win elections relying on the votes of the greedy, selfish, low-IQ, hate-filled, angry, frightened and those easily manipulated with complete lies. Guess which group I'd rather belong to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post

Lets me out of that constituency, doesn't it? I registered Libertarian Party, so I don't exactly have a dog in the Dem/Rep fight. You do know which dog I root for.
The rabid one that needs to be put down?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post

It's not that I couldn't see some blogger bloviations -- it's that I care mighty little for them, hewing to the sort of opinionmongering that is giving the due credit to both -- Obama got schooled in the business of fighting a sub-rosa war and after two years' experience has had an unequivocal victory in this sort of unconventional, non-state conflict in which symbolic sorts of victories have more weight than they do in contentions between states.

An attack upon the policy record hardly means an attack upon persons. But again, and again and ten billion times again: stupid should and must hurt until it educates the educable to quit pissing on that electric fence. When you are committed to an ideology that obliges you to choose the lesser, the more collectivist choice, does that say you're intelligent?
What policy records? That's not what you attacked. You attacked the persons who adhere to those policies as being mentally ill.

The facts are, when viewed through the lens of reality, we as a nation have historically done better over the past half century when Democrats have been in control. Republican policies have repeatedly been proven, when implemented, not to work. At all. Well, that's not completely true. They work -- in the exact opposite way that's claimed.

I won't even humor you with what this country would devolve into under Libertarian rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post

Honestly, Jill dear. We are smarter than you'd like, or would like to acknowledge, tougher than you could handle, and we're fertile too. Just check out Sarah Palin -- who also might be hotter than you unless you could take the crown from Miss Turkey.
Honestly, Guerrilla dear, don't flatter yourself. I've taken on smarter than you and won. Handily.

As to whether or not Sarah Palin is hotter than me, or I could unseat Miss Turkey, I guess that depends on who's judging.

Last edited by Jill; 05-02-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #26
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: little town (but not the littlest) in texas
Posts: 2,957
DAYUM, Jill is hawt!
You win.

Also, I bet your whoha isn't all stretched out from popping out too many babies!
__________________
Addicts may suck dick for coke, but love came up with the idea to put a dick in there to begin with.
-Jack O'Brien
morethanpretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #27
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 13,002
Oh SNAP!

Jill, there are just no words for how much you won that!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #28
Jill
Colonist Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Redondo Beach, CA (transplant from St. Louis, MO)
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanpretty View Post

DAYUM, Jill is hawt!
You win.

Also, I bet your whoha isn't all stretched out from popping out too many babies!
Awww, thank you very much. That's really sweet of you to say. Hooha's not stretched out from having any babies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post

Oh SNAP!

Jill, there are just no words for how much you won that!
I feel like taking a bow, but I don't want to appear arrogant.

I did kinda show him, though, didn't I? Hehe
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #29
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 13,002
A hundred times over. I'm still chuckling.

You rock!
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #30
plthijinx
Master Dwellar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 4,181
the GM here at work was watching cnn and they broke a leak story saying that the US actually didn't kill bin laden but that he was killed by his own people. something about that he ordered them to do it in case it looked like he was either going to be captured or killed by the americans, he didn't want to die by an american hand but rather one of his own people. either way i don't care. he's dead.
__________________
For your dreams to come true, you must first have a dream.
plthijinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
i love tw, i love ug, merc luvs jill, merry xmas from barry o, rip ug, teh president barry, u want me, who be barrio?


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.