The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 09-19-2015, 10:20 AM   #1
bbro
Insert witty comment here

New Camera!

I am not sure if this is the right forum, but I got a new camera! A big girl camera! With changeable lenses and everything! The only problem? I have no idea how to use the shit - lol. The package I got came with (I think) everything I need: flash, tripod, 2 UV filters, cleaning kit, macro lens, remote, HDMI cord, extra battery, usb memory card reader, and of course, the actual camera.

Does anyone know of any websites that would be helpful in learning how to use all this stuff? I mean, when am I going to need a separate flash? Or what the difference between the UV filters are - besides the thickness: 52mm and 62mm?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2015, 10:57 AM   #2
glatt

Sounds like you have two lenses. They are probably different sizes and you have a UV filter for each lens. The UV filters are generally jut used to protect the lens. You just leave them on all the time, and they take all the abuse. You'll need to clean them off periodically. Filtering out the UV doesn't do much of anything for the photographs.

I'm not away of any good basic photography websites out there, but I'm sure they exist.

Exciting!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:02 AM   #3
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Might get more responses if the thread is moved to Technology.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 01:01 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
I mean, when am I going to need a separate flash?
Portraiture, I would imagine.

Congrats on the new toy. New toys are fun!

Be sure to post your pics as you learn the new-to-you stuff, we'd love to watch your learning curve.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 01:24 PM   #5
Scriveyn
amnesic-confabulatory opsimath

To begin with be aware what you want to photograph: family - landscape -architecture - wildlife - flowers - people in the street - sports - etc.

Then go out and try.

Did you do any amount of photography before, such as with a point-and-shoot camera or your mobile phone?

With some tutorials: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/

Not a tutorial, but a huge forum with helpful people: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/
Scriveyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:29 PM   #6
bbro
Insert witty comment here

glatt - thanks! I tried googling, but didn't get any relevant answers

sexobon - didn't think of that. I can't move it, though. I don't want to double post :/

Gravdigr - I shall. I plan on doing some walking or something to get some different views. My back yard sucks

Scriveyn - Thanks for the links! I have used a point and shoot, but it never gave me the pictures I actually wanted. I want to do mostly stills of not-people - lol. I do have a cooking blog I want to use it for, too. That'll probably be the first photos I take.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #7
Sperlock
Elite Elitist

You may also find http://digital-photography-school.com/ helpful.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:59 AM   #8
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Congrats on the new camera!

It sounds like the whole thing is pretty new to you. Since you asked, this is what I'd recommend, they are books not online resources, but they are infinitely better than any website you'll find. Even though they are not about digital cameras they are about the theory and principles that digital photography is based on and 90% of what you learn is directly applicable to digital photography. The other ten percent is translatable. E.g. ASA is now called ISO. Even though you don't use film, the principles of film speed (ASA) and how it relates to exposure translate directly to digital exposure ISO settings. (Exposure=Intensity*Duration) F- stops and shutter speeds are the same, depth of field and so forth. Understanding these concepts will make the camera your bitch in the parlance of the streets, rather than vice versa.

The first is a very clear. understandable book on flash units and even though it was written in 1981, the general concepts of lighting with a flash haven't changed even though some of the bells and whistles available today are pretty shiny. When you do begin looking at flash units you'll understand the pros and cons much better after reading this. And you can get it used for $0.91

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-fla.../dp/0879852712

The second is another book that I can't recommend highly enough; it's the gold standard for college photo courses. And I just realized I lent my copy to someone, I can't remember who, and they never returned it. Fuck. When will I learn?
http://www.amazon.com/Black-White-Ph.../dp/0316373052

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions, or make a thread.

What kind of camera did you get?
Old 09-21-2015, 09:45 AM   #9
glatt

I'd add that there are two things to know about photography.
The first is the technical side of it. You want to learn, as foot said, about the different ways you can set the exposure. Several things impact the exposure: the aperture (also known as F-stop); the shutter speed; the ISO (or sensitivity) of the sensor; and manually adding light to the scene by using a flash or moving a subject a next to a window or something.

That brings me to the second thing. The funny thing about the technical side of things is that EVERY single one of those things you can adjust has other things it will impact, and that's where the artistic side of things comes in. You can force the camera to achieve different effects by manipulating any one of them. For example:
-by adjusting the aperture, you can change the depth of field, which is how much of the scene is in focus.
-by adjusting the shutter speed, you can freeze motion sharply, or you can let things have a motion blur
- by adjusting the ISO, you can magnify the "noise" in the image, or get rid of the "noise" altogether.
-by changing the amount of light in the scene, either by using a flash, or other external light, or putting a neutral density filter on the camera to block out light, you can play with the other settings more than you would be able to otherwise

And when ever you change any one of those things, the others will either change automatically to retain the proper exposure level, or if you are in manual mode you will have to change them manually to keep the exposure right. So there are always trade offs. For example, if there isn't a lot of light available, a fast shutter speed can only be accomplished by opening the aperture wide and maybe cranking up the sensitivity of the sensor. So if you are in a nightclub and want to take a picture of somebody dancing without using a flash, they are going to be blurry from moving around. And there is going to be a lot of noise in the picture from the sensor being cranked up.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #10
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

When I read this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
--snip
I have used a point and shoot, but it never gave me the pictures I actually wanted.
--snip
I felt compelled to write this.

QFT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Congrats on the new camera!

--snip--

Understanding these concepts will make the camera your bitch in the parlance of the streets, rather than vice versa.

--snip
Old 09-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #11
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Bbro, you may find this chart somewhat helpful in understanding some of the more basic basics.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:41 PM   #12
glatt

Yeah. that's a pretty good link.

I'd like to see a little online simulator where you can slide a bar back and forth for each of the exposure variables and then see the other variable move in response to that change and a sample image change as well.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:44 PM   #13
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I'd like to see a little online simulator where you can slide a bar back and forth for each of the exposure variables and then see the other variable move in response to that change and a sample image change as well.
Heh. Well, glatt, I'm glad you asked. I did a search and found such a creature.
http://camerasim.com/apps/original-camerasim/web/
Old 09-21-2015, 02:48 PM   #14
glatt

You know, glatt. I've been playing with that virtual camera for a couple minutes and it's amazing. It has everything. Even simulates sensor noise and shaking hands blurring.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:19 AM   #15
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

I'm confused. Is Glatt talking to himself?
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote