The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 11-09-2006, 07:13 PM   #16
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

D - Leg Before Wicket Why do it if you're going to be out? Why protect the wicket if getting hit by the ball means you're out anyway?
Old 11-09-2006, 07:16 PM   #17
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

to attempt to hit the ball into play and possibly score and avoid a sure loss. think of the qb throwing the ball out of bounds to avoid a sack.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:23 PM   #18
Nomet
Kinda New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
D - Leg Before Wicket Why do it if you're going to be out? Why protect the wicket if getting hit by the ball means you're out anyway?
It's strange how what seems so obvious to people who know and understand the game, is extremely unintuitive to others. To answer your question quickly, it is a natural part of the game for the batsmen to stand in line with the wicket, simply because that is where the bowler will be bowling. When others have said 'protected', they mean they are protecting with the bat, not with the body. And to clarify, getting hit by the ball does not lead immediately to the batsmen being out. It has to be judged by the umpire that the ball would have hit the wicket if not for the fact that it hit the batsmenon the legs.

Watching cricket can be a fantastic experience, though I reckon it must be the longest sporting game in the world. Even the 'short' version takes half a day.

This is your invitation to a global networking experiment
Nomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:23 AM   #19
Hagar
Master of the Domain

We've just had the first one day game of the domestic season here today. There is little better than driving around with the cricket on the radio, a/c on full tilt and the windows down.

All I need is a white bowling hat and it could be an old man's doof doof!
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:18 AM   #20
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

O
M
G
Hagar!!!
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:04 PM   #21
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

"You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he is out. When they are all out, the side that's been out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out, he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who are all out all the time, and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game."
Best description of the game I can think of (and it's two paragraphs, as requested!)! (Found here, but remembered from somewhere else (a tea-towel in a friend's kitchen I think ...)
Old 11-11-2006, 03:19 PM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Its now OCTOBER n my boony wont fkn shut up..
it goes form around 5am till wenever “Get me a vb the crickets about to start” or “Whens the drinks Break?” and “Todays codeword is “wateva” x3 todays codeword according to booney is Cheers…. he gets really annoying
-dani

Ive Got A Box Of Boony’s, Nearly All the Batteries are Flat Or Going Flat By Now. So I Changed The Batteries In About 15 Of Them, And They All Started Talking Again !!! Some In The Morning, Some In The Middle Of Night, Some During The Day.
Some Days They Dont Speak At All. So If You Change The Batteries You Shouldn’t Have Any Probs. They Talk In Cycles, They Shut Up For 114 Days Then Go Into A Talk Phase For ???
Then Go Back Into 114 Day Quiet Cycle. SHOULD LIVE FOREVER as long as Fresh Batteries Are Installed.
-Mark
Sounds like a mixed blessing.
Hmmm...wonder if I could get my Bobble-Head to swear?
Old 11-12-2006, 08:07 PM   #23
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Theres a boonie hack site somewhere, they got him saying all kinds of neat stuff
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote