The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 06-11-2011, 04:52 AM   #1261
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Season 1 - The Walking Dead.

Loved it!!
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:23 AM   #1262
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

True Grit. Just as good as the original. If not better.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #1263
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I enjoyed it too, wonderful performances by Hailee, Matt and Jeff - although I'm getting a little tired with Bridges 'gruff ole man' persona nowadays.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:48 PM   #1264
Beest
Adapt and Survive

True Grit - Somewhat disappointed actually. perhaps compared to the anticipation of it's glowing reviews. i din't like Bridges Rooster much, I still the Duke has it.

Harry Brown - now out on Netflix streaming, so I watched it last night. Michael Cain portrays a doddery old guy very well and the transition to vigilante well portrayed.
Not a hollywood movie, no music, the beginning is very dry, with long scenes of the ordinary life of an old man.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #1265
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
At least it will be over soon.

Shrek Forever After
Not sure how they manage to keep these funny. By the 4th movie they should really suck and be unfunny.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #1266
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Shrek just has heart I think. And a damn good dollop of whimsy.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:58 AM   #1267
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Found "Knight and Day" in the media closet unopened... Excelllent covert action movie with a great love story twist. Tom Cruise and Cam Diaz are a great team.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #1268
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I watched Shutter Island this weekend. Very interesting.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #1269
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

someone else picked the movie last night--tha's my excuse.

The movie? Drive Angry.

Nick Cage and some other people aping Quentin Tarrantino/Kill Bill. a star and a half for naked women explosions and hawt cars
Old 07-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #1270
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

We just started watching the BBC's new series Sherlock, the classic story of Sherlock Holmes but in a modern setting.

Holy cow. I haven't loved a series this much in a very long time. The casting is just fantastic, and unlike most BBC productions, this one has a serious budget. Apparently they were afraid it wouldn't catch on quickly enough after all the money they'd spent on it, so the "first season" is paced as three 90-minute episodes, instead of 9 half-hours.

It's really incredible. Dana, I think you in particular would adore it, if you haven't seen it already. It's written by Mark Gatiss, you know.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #1271
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
We just started watching the BBC's new series Sherlock, the classic story of Sherlock Holmes but in a modern setting.

Holy cow. I haven't loved a series this much in a very long time. The casting is just fantastic, and unlike most BBC productions, this one has a serious budget. Apparently they were afraid it wouldn't catch on quickly enough after all the money they'd spent on it, so the "first season" is paced as three 90-minute episodes, instead of 9 half-hours.

It's really incredible. Dana, I think you in particular would adore it, if you haven't seen it already. It's written by Mark Gatiss, you know.
Synchronicity! (sort of - it is weeks later)

I just finished the first episode via Netflix streaming. I really liked this show. The writing is witty and fast paced. In fact, I really wish Netflix had subtitles for this. Holmes is sometimes talks too fast for me. Cumberbatch is great as Holmes and Freeman is the perfect everyman for Watson.

I enjoyed watching this so much that I was wondering if I was giving it too much leeway and it wasn't really as good as I was thinking. But here is your review, so I feel vindicated.

Can't wait to watch the next one. I may try to get it from the library system, though, so I'll have the subtitles.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:34 AM   #1272
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

"Sanctum"... one of the better movies I've seen lately. Edge of the seat adventure and I caught myself holding my breath along with the actors.

"Insidious" What a waste of fokkin time. The trailer was better than the movie.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:42 AM   #1273
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Oh I loved Sherlock. It is actually co-written by Gatiss and Steven Moffatt (the showrunner for Doctor Who).

The short run series isnt unusual here. Luther, another premium drama was 6 episodes to start, then a second series at 4 episodes. Life on Mars was I think either 6 or 8 episodes. It's also unlikely they'd have ever gone for half hour slots. More likely would have been 1 hour slots. Comedies often come in half hour format, but drama rarely does, and almost never at primetime.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:29 AM   #1274
glatt

Thinking of cancelling Netflix. We only watch about two DVDs a month, and stream maybe two movies a month. Now that they are splitting the services out and charging separately for each, it's not really worth it. We're probably going to put it on hold for a few months and maybe turn it back on in the Fall if we miss it. There's always Redbox at the corner grocery.

Problem is that the kids are getting older and getting later bedtimes, and there isn't time to watch a movie between when they go to bed and we need to.

Anyone else a little bummed at the change in Netflix pricing?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:33 AM   #1275
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Not really, Glatt. Sooner or later the piper has to be paid. It's been an incredibly cheap deal for a long time. With the movie and tv corps bearing down on them, I expected something along this line.

But if you don't use it, why pay for it?

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movies