The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #121
Tiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
funny....i know i said i'd ignore you....but i just happened upon this thread and that deal is now off.

it was posted some 13 hours before the OP....where you use 'strong verbiage' not personal insults. see....i was offended by the tone of the 1st post in this thread because i knew we'd argued about this in the past, and felt like it might be directed at me and my family. now i see that it was, indeed.....even though you've claimed to be speaking in general since i've pointed it out.

fucking lying reality bending hypocrite jerkoff. i cant wait until you get back on your meds.
Paranoid much?

Not only was my OP not directed at you and your family, but it wasn't even originally composed for this board... I posted it at CoG first, and then realizing that almost everybody there is underage and has no interest in the topic, I reposted it here.

You can keep on with your hysterical high-school-girl namecalling and persecution complex, but I suggest you reconsider your delusional belief that anyone spends that much time thinking about you.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #122
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Here's what the study referenced says

Quote:
CONCLUSIONS: No consistent significant associations were found between TCVs and neurodevelopmental outcomes.
To understand why they came to that conclusion, I expect one would need coursework in statistics. Nevertheless, that was the conclusion of the researchers, and you are merely cherry-picking their work to try to come to a different conclusion, which I think you shouldn't do.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #123
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Frankly, the onus should be on medical science to prove that it is safe. At the moment the onus seems to be on people having to prove that it isn't.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #124
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

UT Ithink the key words there are consistent and significant. They also suggested areas of concern where results were slightly different.

It is very difficult to prove a consistent cause of eczema and asthma. There are a variety of 'triggers' that set off a flare. As yet they've been unable to find a consistent cause. There are a number of possibilities. But immuno conditions are a bitch to figure out. It's entirely possible conditions like autism are just as tricky. If we're relying on consistent results, then I doubt they will ever be confident enough to point to anything as a cause.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #125
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

You guys are working really hard to interpret the science differently than the science interprets itself. You shouldn't do that.

I should add, I love you guys. If I am wrong I hope you still love me.

I pushed you cause
I loved you guys
I didn't realize
You weren't having fun
I dragged you up the stairs
And I told you to fly
You were flapping your arms
You started to cry
You were too high
Too high
-- Ben Folds Five, My Philosophy
Old 05-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #126
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
Here's what UT's article says

Here's what the study referenced says
What I get from those sitations is that there is no proof that these are not normal variations seen in populations where there could be other causes not studied by the original research. They see the variations but that does not mean there is a truely causative relationship.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:51 PM   #127
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Frankly, the onus should be on medical science to prove that it is safe. At the moment the onus seems to be on people having to prove that it isn't.
It has always been like that because people want solutions to their problems and people who have disease are willing to accept risk-benefit ratios that are directed to a greater extent to easing or curing disease, not thinking to much about the very small group that is affected by rare unintended effects. The medical commuinty thinks the same way. Can we fix problem x with solution y and are 99% of the people relieved.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:03 PM   #128
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
You guys are working really hard to interpret the science differently than the science interprets itself. You shouldn't do that.
I disagree but thanks for your perspective. That study was offered under the context of dismissing an autism connection. It clearly doesn't dismiss anything when it calls for more accurate research.

Quote:
In the United Kingdom, researchers evaluated the vaccination records of 100,572 children born during 1988–1997, using the General Practice Research Database, 104 of whom were affected with autism [27]. No relationship between thimerosal exposure and autism diagnosis was observed.
And we can tell that by studying just one of several vaccines an infant receives at once? That's what the reference says...

Quote:
CONCLUSIONS: With the possible exception of tics, there was no evidence that thimerosal exposure via DTP/DT vaccines causes neurodevelopmental disorders.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:06 PM   #129
jinx
Come on, cat.

It should also be noted that Paul Offit (author of article) holds the patent on 2 vaccines; one currently on the schedule, and one that was taken off due to babies dying from intusception.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #130
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
It should also be noted that Paul Offit (author of article) holds the patent on 2 vaccines; one currently on the schedule, and one that was taken off due to babies dying from intusception.
That is quite interesting. Thanks for that bit.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #131
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That covers the overview and (partially) one of the studies, what of the other 19?
Old 05-20-2009, 01:11 PM   #132
TheMercenary

Here is a list of other studies done by various authors:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/doc...ne_studies.pdf
Old 05-20-2009, 01:12 PM   #133
Tiki

Just FYI:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Offit

and about the withdrawn vaccine, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotavirus_vaccine:

Quote:
Clinical trials in the United States, Finland, and Venezuela had found it to be 80 to 100% effective at preventing severe diarrhea caused by rotavirus A, and researchers had detected no statistically significant serious adverse effects. The manufacturer of the vaccine, however, withdrew it from the market in 1999, after it was discovered that the vaccine may have contributed to an increased risk for intussusception, or bowel obstruction, in one of every 12,000 vaccinated infants.
I don't normally cite Wikipedia but, in this case, it seemed the source least likely to reflect bias.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:12 PM   #134
TheMercenary

I do have the ability to pull original articles in their complete format if you need me to.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #135
TheMercenary

1 in 12,000 is a pretty high incidence in medicine. And most likely due to the severity of intussusception for the infants that get it, not worth the risk-benefit ratio.