The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-28-2015, 01:51 PM   #1156
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Customer: This is my friend's camera and I don't want him to have it any more.
Steve: So you stole it from your friend.
Customer: Well yes but it's okay because I gave it to him.
Steve: Okay, I don't need to hear any of all that. you're not helping yourself out here...
Customer And this laptop. It work, the only thing wrong with it is the battery.
Steve: Do you have a charger.
Customer: No.
Steve: So we can't test it out.
Customer: That's the only thing wrong with it and --
Steve: What's all this white powder all over it.
Customer: Oh that don't matter
Steve: There's nothing I can do for you, it's too old and busted.
Customer: Okay thanks
Steve (to Alan): Christ. Don't do coke all over your stolen laptop and forget to wipe it off before you bring it in to sell it.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:03 PM   #1157
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

He just ran off a potential connection!!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #1158
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's funny, you know I tried to document everything interesting or notable during my full-time time there, but I keep remembering little funny things that I never wrote up.

One day I went across the street to the Chinese place to pick up some dumplings, and an older ghetto gentleman was waiting for his order. Older ghetto gentlemen are my favorite of all ghetto people. Although they can be rather nuts, they are generally harmless, and usually of good humor.

Some very small talk was exchanged. A few sentences. And then he asks

Old ghetto guy: You look happy, why you so happy?

Luckily I had a ready and complete answer to this question. Maybe not the most complete and most honest answer, but one that I knew would blow his mind. I went slowly, and put it in terms he could appreciate.

UT: Well sir, I believe that life is an amazing gift. I don't know whether it's a gift from God, or from chance, or what. But every day I wake up, put my two feet on the ground, and I see the day, I think to myself, damn! Isn't this great? I get to live another day of life.

And I paid the Chinese lady for my food and left. Fifteen minutes later, Ron goes over to get a soda. He comes back and reports...

Ron: They're still talking about you.

Mission accomplished.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #1159
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

haHA!

Well played!
Old 03-05-2015, 06:20 AM   #1160
Griff
still says videotape

That was f'in brilliant!
Old 03-05-2015, 07:01 AM   #1161
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Very nice sir.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #1162
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

That was great.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #1163
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

You little Buddha, you.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:39 PM   #1164
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Fakes!

Alan showed me some silver dollars that he bought in that were not accepted at the smelter's. They were actually magnetic.

1895 and similar, Morgan Dollars. He had bought in eight of them.

They were remarkable Chinese fakes. They had circulation marks on them... what looked like dirt and grime of age.

~

An eBay buyer returned a Samsung Galaxy S5 saying that it was fake. I brought over my own S5. Sure enough, a brilliant fake! The size and colors were exactly right, but the screen was not as clear and bright and slightly smaller. The various ports were just a little different, the camera was different, and it didn't boot with a SAMSUNG splash screen. Just plain Android. this item came to us new in a new looking consumer S5 box with an S5 plastic screen protector. Good lord.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:34 PM   #1165
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
... 1895 and similar, Morgan Dollars. He had bought in eight of them. ...
The 1895 is a rare key to the series and would be worth tens of thousands of dollars even in the condition you describe (circulated proof). Fakes are abundant. That date always raises a red flag for a raw (uncertified/unauthenticated) example. Even if it was a an 1895-O or 1895-S, it would still be worth several times and perhaps many times melt value. It doesn't make sense that anyone would send it to the smelter.

Were you just using the 1895 date to illustrate the time period of those coins; or, was there actually one with that date?
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:04 PM   #1166
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Just to illustrate, I don't remember the exact date but it was around there
Old 03-07-2015, 03:49 PM   #1167
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Alan showed me some silver dollars that he bought in that were not accepted at the smelter's. They were actually magnetic.

1895 and similar, Morgan Dollars. He had bought in eight of them.

They were remarkable Chinese fakes. They had circulation marks on them... what looked like dirt and grime of age.

~

An eBay buyer returned a Samsung Galaxy S5 saying that it was fake. I brought over my own S5. Sure enough, a brilliant fake! The size and colors were exactly right, but the screen was not as clear and bright and slightly smaller. The various ports were just a little different, the camera was different, and it didn't boot with a SAMSUNG splash screen. Just plain Android. this item came to us new in a new looking consumer S5 box with an S5 plastic screen protector. Good lord.
I woke up this morning and discovered that everything in my apartment had been stolen and replaced with an exact replica.

--Steven Wright
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:51 PM   #1168
glatt

UT, how do I get the best experience pawning something? At work, they were throwing away bluray players from an old patent case. Most of them had been disassembled and really were trash, but a handful of them worked. And various employees got to take them home. I brought a Panasonic one home for personal use, but there was one left over that was put out for the trash. I took it, and want to pawn it because I can't be bothered with Ebay and shipping.

This thing is basically new, although the foam packing was thrown away. The remote control and batteries and cables are all still shrink wrapped in the box. It was a top of the line bluray player when it came out 5 years ago, and I just looked on Ebay and found only one completed listing (with 25 bids) for $320 and that was for a used one missing its remote. Other newer different models by this company go for a lot more and I think there are just fewer of this particular model on the market.

Should I call the pawn shop first and ask if they will buy it? Do I just show up with it? If these go on Ebay for $320, what can I reasonably expect to be paid for one? How long would they take to inspect the thing? It never came with any connector cables, just a power cord. Should I bring my own RCA cords from home so they can hook it up and test it, or will they have that stuff?

FYI, this is a Cambridge Audio azur BD650BD-B Region A/CU Blu-ray Disc Player

There's a pawn shop a 15 minute walk from my office.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:58 PM   #1169
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Glatt, they'll have any cables and such for testing. Shouldn't take but a minute. My experience is that you can expect about a third of perceived value, at best. If something is worth, say, $300, that's all they can get for it, if that. You can expect to get about $85-$100. Maybe even less. If it's something that will move really fast, maybe just a shade more. You can prolly just show up, but, a head's up never hurts.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #1170
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

A Blu-Ray player that sells for $320 and is not made of gold. Sounds like a mistake. I am not finding this completed listing?