The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 04-28-2005, 11:22 AM   #91
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I don't think that author meant it as a compliment.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 11:30 AM   #92
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

UT's wasn't the most complimentary thing I've read either...
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 10:47 PM   #93
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No, but much classier and more humorous.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:08 AM   #94
Be Less Bored
Throwing turnips off the truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
evaluate her based on her words.

Of course, if you do that, she falls apart rather quickly.
oh does she? Where?

Be Less Bored -- or call US: +1 206-203-4119

D'oh .. and you were worried about google?
Be Less Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:40 PM   #95
rkzenrage

Anne Coulter's Latest Publicity Stunt

When their husbands were killed on 9/11, four New Jersey widows tried to find out why - and now no-holds-barred conservative pundit Ann Coulter is mercilessly denouncing them as "witches."

"I've never seen people enjoying their husbands' deaths so much," Coulter writes in her new book.

Her brutal words were challenged yesterday on national television by "Today" host Matt Lauer - and she was slammed by the widows she derided as self-absorbed, limelight-seeking "harpies."

"I'd like her to meet my daughter and tell her how anyone could enjoy their father's death," said Kristen Breitweiser, one of four widows known as the "Jersey Girls."

"She sounds like a very disturbed, unraveled person," added Breitweiser.

In "Godless: The Church of Liberalism," the uncompromisingly right-wing Coulter writes the Jersey Girls have no right to criticize President Bush or any of the failures that led to the terror attacks.

"These broads are millionaires, lionized on TV and in articles about them, reveling in their status as celebrities and stalked by grief-arazzis," Coulter writes.

"And by the way, how do we know their husbands weren't planning to divorce these harpies? Now that their shelf life is dwindling, they'd better hurry up and appear in Playboy. . .

"These self-obsessed women seemed genuinely unaware that 9/11 was an attack on our nation and acted as if the terrorist attacks happened only to them."

Breitweiser, Lorie Van Auken, Mindy Kleinberg and Patty Casazza bonded after their husbands died on 9/11, leaving them with seven children and a desire for answers.

They pushed to create the 9/11 commission, which put out a scathing report criticizing the Clinton and Bush administrations for not taking the terrorist threat more seriously - and found New York's emergency response system wasn't prepared for a serious attack.

"Our ports have not been secured. Our borders have not been secured. We still haven't caught [Osama] Bin Laden," Van Auken said yesterday. "She's not even talking about what we were talking about. She's just attacking."

The Jersey Girls - or, as Coulter calls them, "the Witches of East Brunswick" - have been criticized before, but never like this. Van Auken told the Daily News she was stunned by the vitriol.

"Having my husband burn alive in a building brought me no joy," she said. "Watching it unfold on national TV and .seeing it repeated endlessly was beyond what I could describe. Telling my children they would never see their father again was not fun. And we had no plans to divorce."

When Lauer grilled Coulter about the book, she yelled at him so harshly that gasps echoed through Rockefeller Center - and then she made a wisecrack about CBS-bound former host Katie Couric.

"If you lose a husband, you no longer have the right to have a political point of view?" Lauer asked.

As the exchange grew tense, Coulter said, "Look, you're getting testy with me."

She later added: "Hey, where's Katie? Did she leave or something?"

Last night, Coulter didn't back down from bashing the 9/11 widows. "These women got paid. They ought to take their money and shut up about it," Coulter said on MSNBC's "The Situation with Tucker Carlson."

Coulter made headlines in the past when she called for blowing up The New York Times Building, advocated forcing Muslims to become Christians and wrote an entire book that said every American liberal is guilty of treason.

Her controversial writings have made her a best-selling .author and syndicated columnist and put her on the cover of Time magazine. She's made big bucks in the process, buying a $1.5 million condo on the upper East Side.

Politicians of both parties denounced Coulter's comments.

"It's totally inhumane to be saying things like this about people who went through such agony," said Rep. Pete King (R-L.I.).

"It seems that she's just full of anger and hate," said Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-Manhattan), who held a news conference yesterday with relatives of 9/11 victims on the country's failure to improve security.

"Like an insecure child, it's always been clear that Ann Coulter is prepared to do anything to get attention," added Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-Brooklyn, Queens). "This is a new low."
Old 06-07-2006, 02:45 PM   #96
rkzenrage

From another site.

Quote:
If you're not irritated enough yet, check out this sexy interview.

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=15363

I like how the interviewer makes no attempt whatsoever at objectivity and basically asks Coulter questions like, "Do you ever find it difficult to be the most brilliant woman in all of existence?"
Old 06-07-2006, 02:53 PM   #97
glatt

Any publicity is good publicity.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:11 PM   #98
rkzenrage

Do you remember who said that?
I don't agree. She is nuts and I thinks she hates herself and humanity.
I hope she finds empathy and happiness, I really do.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:22 PM   #99
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
Do you remember who said that?
No, I really don't. But what I'm saying is that she pobably believes the saying. And up to a point, the saying is valid. It's hard to know where that point is for some people. I think she has crossed it here, but who's to say the Freepers agree with me? They are her audience.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:35 PM   #100
rkzenrage

Pretty sure it was James Brown about the time he was in some trouble... in context it was him making the best of the situation.
I don't agree, coming from someone who used to be in that business... you have to decide at some point to be an artist or celebrity. I guess if you only wish to be the latter it may hold some truth.
In her case, do you want to be a pundit/talking head or celebrity?
What little credibility she once had is on fire.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:44 PM   #102
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Actually, what I would like to do is this.

Invite Ann Coulter and Fred Phelps to do an interview.
Wait until both of them are in the Green Room.
Lock the door and walk away.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:00 AM   #103
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

In a news article this morning, Hillary Clinton called Coulter's remarks concerning these women "vicious". I have to agree - which, as far as I know, is a first.

It bothers me that anyone could make the kind of vicious and mean-spirited attacks that Coulter has made. But even more, I fear that there are many folks out there nodding their heads in agreement.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:41 AM   #104
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
But even more, I fear that there are many folks out there nodding their heads in agreement.
Didn't you hear? If you're not with them, you're against them.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:29 AM   #105
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
In a news article this morning, Hillary Clinton called Coulter's remarks concerning these women "vicious". I have to agree - which, as far as I know, is a first.

It bothers me that anyone could make the kind of vicious and mean-spirited attacks that Coulter has made. But even more, I fear that there are many folks out there nodding their heads in agreement.
Coulter is a cunt, no ifs ands or buts.

The people nodding in agreement might have a reason.

9-11, Mr A and Mr B head out to work in NYC.

Mr A gets to the WTC but doesn't make it home.
Mr B doesn't make it home either because he was run over by a bus.

Mrs A gets a million or two bucks and the sympathy of the world.
Mrs B get an insurance settlement that will pay off the car but not the mortgage, credit cards, orthodontist or kids tuition.

Mrs A keeps appearing on TV.
Mrs B & kids have now moved in with family and working at the Quicky Mart on the overnight shift.

Maybe Mrs B is nodding. Ya think?