The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 10-20-2004, 11:36 AM   #46
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Exactly, case! I've been every color, too, with various streaky things going on, etc. I think it's very interesting how people react differently to different hair colors/styles. I'm a natural mouse brown which is a color that just begs to be toyed with!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 01:20 PM   #47
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

If it is obvious that your hair is dyed (dark hair and pale skin, roots showing, etc.) then people know that you chose to be that color. People are then reacting to your choice as well as your color.

I suspect this is what people are reacting to with case. Very few people have naturally true-black hair.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 02:16 PM   #48
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

One of the strangest things I have ever seen was a young girl with long black hair and about one inch of bright blonde re-growth coming in!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 10-20-2004, 02:35 PM   #49
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Not only that dar, but they might even treat you like the stereotype, expecting that's part of what you were shooting for with the dye job!

Part of the reason for double-blind testing...
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 02:47 PM   #50
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Damn. I just can't formulate a good one-liner about double-blind testing of hair color...
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 05:29 PM   #51
flippant
*shameless....so stop trying so hard....*-me

I think all the male attention is your attitude. Do you feel more attractive? When a woman looks like she's feeling hot it doesn't seem to matter what color of hair she has. Like when you get a haircut and no one notices, but they do notice something is different about you.....Are you simply noticing what was there all along? I often don't notice male attention (my friends say so) but if I were to change my appearance and began to look for reactions I might see an increase in attention.(obviously) I'm not going to make a comment about my hair color or the fact that this is in the Philosophy category, but I will say attractive is not a hair color.
(not directed at anyone here i am having conversational flashbacks)
And sorry guys, you all tell me to dye it but I like it how it is so your attraction to me can keep suffering. No big deal! If you are liking the women on the basis of hair color you are not going to be my type anyway........
flippant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 05:33 PM   #52
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
If it is obvious that your hair is dyed (dark hair and pale skin, roots showing, etc.) then people know that you chose to be that color. People are then reacting to your choice as well as your color.

I suspect this is what people are reacting to with case. Very few people have naturally true-black hair.
Native Americans come close. My Dad was 1/4 Cherokee and had VERY dark brown hair (might as well have been black), and everyone who met him commented on his "black" eyes which were actually a very deep brown. I have some pictures of him when he was a young man, and the girls must have been fainting in his tracks. I wish I'd inherited his coloring, but, alas, I take more after my Swiss Mom.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:37 PM   #53
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I hear you, flip, but I do not agree. Men--On the AVERAGE--don't want grey hairs. And that is a response to your third to last sentance, last post. Men want women with vibrant hair color whether it be brown, red, blonde or black. Waning hair color is a halmark of decreasing libido--not my rule, Nature's rule.

—James Barrie

Old 10-20-2004, 08:29 PM   #54
flippant
*shameless....so stop trying so hard....*-me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
I hear you, flip, but I do not agree. Men--On the AVERAGE--don't want grey hairs. And that is a response to your third to last sentance, last post. Men want women with vibrant hair color whether it be brown, red, blonde or black. Waning hair color is a halmark of decreasing libido--not my rule, Nature's rule.

I wasn't referring to grey hair because I don't have any. :p I can see how you would assume that meaning though. I have a friend with grey hair though and she never seems to be lacking any male attention.
But the topic was about you........are you sure you are not just being more aware?
flippant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 08:42 PM   #55
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512

Actually, it is surprising how many people <i>can't</i> tell the difference between natural and dyed hair color. I have had a few people just assume this is my natural color (when I was blond, too). It's kind of embarassing to have to tell them I dye it at that point.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 12:26 AM   #56
triestemoi
Civil Civilian

I've been a red-head for over 10 years and can't imagine not. The first few times someone referred to me as a red-head, I was taken aback. As in, who me? But I love having red hair. There's just something about it that gives a person a little "savoir faire". It's hard to describe unless you've been there...
triestemoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 01:48 PM   #57
Doodle
Cheese is strange.

Today, i am getting my hair dyed.
Red...hmmmm....not my color.

Or is it???

Little Miss Doodle
Doodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 04:03 PM   #58
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Ok, LJ--I'll bite. DO men find you more attractive as a redhead? I think jinx is very pretty anyway but hot pink would be damn cool.
Thank you Brianna, that's a really nice thing to say.
A few years ago I would have done hot pink without a second thought, but I think I've passed the age where I can get away with it. I don't want to look like a washed up stripper... I haven't done any dyeing in a couple years, although I still have some henna remnants on the ends I think.
I could definitely go for a change... this thread really has me thinking...
Old 10-22-2004, 09:35 AM   #59
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

I would love to see before and after shots if you do!!
Old 10-22-2004, 08:42 PM   #60
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I don't want to look like a washed up stripper...
Maybe a stripper but faaaar from washed up.