The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-02-2010, 12:30 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Responding to FEMA

About 6 months ago I refused to renew my flood insurance, because they increased the premium over 400%, closer to 500%, and could give me no reason. Am I cutting off my nose to spite my face... wouldn't be the first time.

Anyway, today I got a letter signed by Edward L Connor, Acting Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administrator. The envelope was mailed from that snailmail spam center in Hartford, CT, where so many ads come from. It may even have been sent at the request of my insurance company.

A little Googling finds old Ed is real, and gives me his office mailing address, I figured it's only good manners to respond to his letter... not that he'll ever see it, before some civil servant trashes it.
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2010, 12:56 AM   #2
gvidas
Hoodoo Guru

Buying insurance is the act of taking a stand, in $, on risk. You're saying something like, "the cost of recovering from a disaster times the probability of it occurring is greater than the total cost of insurance from now until the risk is gone."

If you can tell that the potential cost is not worth the insurance cost, it's a bad bet. The risk is still there -- but the risk was still there with insurance, too. And it's easy to get intimidated (legitimately, perhaps), since, unlike poker, you don't typically play more than a hand or two.

I love writing righteously indignant letters, and I liked reading yours.
gvidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:14 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

A year after I bought the place, the Feds came along and declared it flood plain. Having a mortgage requires buying flood insurance, and he mortgage was paid off, years ago. Although changes in the landscape and removal of streamside obstructions have shown a considerable reduction in it's being prone to flood, I kept up the insurance. The premiums have increased with the cost of living of course. Once the water came up to one of my sheds, and the insurance wouldn't cover 99% of the items in the shed, only a mower. In the cellar of the house, it will cover the washer, dryer, boiler and water heater, nothing else. Chances of it getting to the first floor are extremely small, but in that case, throw out upholstered furniture, and rugs, sand the floors, start again. Not the end of the world.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:44 AM   #4
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Very well done xob. Nicely written.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

The feds say the house is in a flood plain, but nothing with "fed" on the letterhead can be trusted.
Is this a "belief" or "faith" that rivers don't rise ?

The slogan over Ed's office door reads:
"Pay it now or pay it later, but don't think later won't be more."
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Give em hell Bruce, er I mean, Household Decision Maker.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

You weighed the costs, and made the decision the scales were tipped too far on the side of profit. Their profit, your loss.

If you stand to lose less this way,more power to you.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

We went through a similar decision process with Earthquake insurance. The premiums and the deductible were so high that the break-point between cost of insurance and cost to rebuild without insurance was about 10-years. If we go 11 years without an earthquake, we will have paid more in premiums than we would get back in payout if the house ever goes down.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

But the key is, if you're not funneling that premium amount aside into an emergency savings account, when the earthquake comes in the 11th year, you'll still be fucked.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #10
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Plus, buying insurance (if you can afford it in the first place) is not only going to pay for damage, if it happens,
it is also paying a "service fee" each year for the company to assume the risk.

Often too, the problems of evaluating property insurance vs payments is the companies have
their own way of evaluating amount of the policy vs today's replacement costs (i.e., depreciation vs inflation).
The are details where the devil hides.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
The feds say the house is in a flood plain, but nothing with "fed" on the letterhead can be trusted.
It's not a matter of my trust in "Fed", by them making that declaration, they give the state, and these fucking yuppie locals, the power to pass draconian regulations. By local code, I'm not allowed to have a can of gas for the lawnmower on site. I'm not allowed to have a stack of firewood on site. I'm not allowed to build a garage to put the cars in, because in a flood the gas and oil in the cars would pollute the water... the same fucking cars that now sit outside. It gets more ridiculous from there.
Quote:
Is this a "belief" or "faith" that rivers don't rise ?
It's a $2200 hydrological mapping, with the data run through the Corps of Engineers own computer program, plus 77 years of exact stream flow records for drainage of 61.1 square miles, and 30odd years of my observation confirming the predicted results.
Quote:
The slogan over Ed's office door reads:
"Pay it now or pay it later, but don't think later won't be more."
So Ed's a prick, must be friend of yours.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #12
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
But the key is, if you're not funneling that premium amount aside into an emergency savings account, when the earthquake comes in the 11th year, you'll still be fucked.
There are better forced savings plans than this one. Like having my employer skim the extra 1k per month into a retirement account before I even see it.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If you can afford the 1k loss. Now you have to talk your employer into matching it.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #14
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
my brain sizzled at the thought of an extra 1K a month. Hell, my brain sizzled at the thought of 1K a month.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #15
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

That's how much earthquake insurance would cost.