The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-11-2020, 03:31 PM   #1
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

BIDEN - HARRIS 2020

Biden has made his choice for his Vice Presidential running mate: Kamala Harris.

Biden was spoiled for choice and he made a good one. She's smart and savvy and capable.

Don't forget to vote!!!
Old 08-11-2020, 03:42 PM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Gonna lose some progressives with what is essentially an old fashioned GOP ticket... Not Trump is a win.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:47 PM   #3
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

all of the people all of the time, etc.

Any voter who stays home because this ticket is too conventional is an idiot.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:52 PM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

2016 should remind us that idiot's votes count as well. They've decided to win without passion, maybe that reduces conflict, but it also reduces turnout.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:15 PM   #5
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I agree that idiot votes count, both the ones cast and the ones withheld.

I would joyously celebrate a win without passion, or with passion, or passion and a bag of chips. Never Trump is a win, Biden-Harris is a win, a win is a win and I'll be happy to have one.

As for turnout, I think any pick he made would have been a mixed bag. If Biden had picked Warren, there would have been trade offs there too. Two old white people, same ol' same ol'. Abrams, no experience in higher office or national experience. Rice, the same complaint you lodge against Harris, doubling down on foreign relations experience, but what else? I think Duckworth would have been an excellent choice, but again risking disaffecting the progressives. I think her military background would be even more compelling than Harris' background as a prosecutor. Though both of them have that law and order vibe--crossover appeal to "law and order" voters. Again, abstention is tantamount to voting for more Trump.

Are you arguing for the progressive position? I find many of their ideas very appealing. But none of them will ever see the light of day unless their proponents are elected. To govern, one must first be elected.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:44 PM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

I want full blown national healthcare. This isn't the ticket that will deliver. I don't know about a full on progressive agenda sometimes they are as intolerant as Trumpets. We need good government which this ticket could deliver. Harris will appeal to cops and suburban voters but alienate BLM who have legit grievances.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:54 PM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

I'm told she did sign on to M4A so we'll see. We'll also have to see what the post Trump GOP morphs into. To be successful National Healthcare needs widespread support. Right now the GOP is about ruining government agencies and programs not keeping them efficient.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:09 PM   #8
Flint
Snowflake

It's a smart choice.

Not the best for progressives, but let's face it-- only full-blown lunatics are not voting "against" the incumbent administration.
This ticket will get a "pass" on ideological purity, to the maximum possible extent.

As for healthcare, Kamala was for whatever the person she was talking to was for, as far as I could tell.

Being a prosecutor is not a great background, she better get into criminal justice reform real quick.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:19 PM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

I'm gonna stay in line because Trump, but we could have had bold change in this moment.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:33 PM   #10
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Well, she's no Tushi Gabbard; but, I'm trying to keep an open mind. Put her on a surfboard in a bathing suit and we'll see.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:05 PM   #11
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Hmmm, it seems I've heard this before. Seems this could mean that Kamala Harris is expected to be Joe Biden's Dick Cheney.

Quote:
Barack Obama has privately voiced concerns that Joe Biden could 'f--- things up,' according to a report

... According to Politico, Obama told an unnamed Democrat during the 2020 primary campaign, in which he declined to endorse any candidate: "Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f--k things up."

Obama has now backed Biden in the race to the November election against President Trump but is said privately to be concerned that Biden does not have an intimate connection with the electorate.

"And you know who really doesn't have it? Joe Biden," Obama told another Democratic Party candidate during the primary run, according to Politico, hitting out at his former Vice President's lack of an intimate bond with the Iowa electorate.

There reportedly have been tensions between the Biden and Obama camps over the former President's failure to back Biden White House bid strongly enough, which date from 2016 when Obama backed Hillary Clinton over Biden as his successor as 2016. ...

... Obama's support this year for Biden's presidential run was markedly qualified. "I believe Joe has all of the qualities we need in a president right now … and I know he will surround himself with good people," he said.

It contrasted with Obama's endorsement of Hillary Clinton in 2016 when he said: "I don't think there's ever been someone so qualified to hold this office." ...
[BOLD MINE]

We'll watch for Kamala Harris becoming a backseat driver during the campaign.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:48 PM   #12
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

They aren't worthy

Mr. Biden is quite all right with taking your AR-15 away -- that you bought and paid for, and with which you keep genocide and rioting iconoclasts far from your door.

Ms. Harris is quite all right with taking your AR-15 away, ditto ditto.

She said so and so did Joe, that empty suit.

This is of course not at all smart nor savvy nor anything but fascist, and these un-Democrats don't even hide their tyrannous inclinations on this issue or any other issue.

Neither of these two has any part of me. That is because I am liberty-minded, and these two candidates are not, but minded to something other than liberty.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:30 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

UG, don't forget to go to the eye color poll and check brown.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:08 AM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

Reflecting on this ticket, I'm feeling better about it. I like Joe's personality, his nature will be to unify people and that is what we need, he is someone who believes in the Union not someone trying to break it. If his politics are slow moving maybe that gets people on board. I caught Gov. Kasich's endorsement, he said it better than I could.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:53 AM   #15
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
UG, don't forget to go to the eye color poll and check brown.
Bruce, you need to become more devoted to human rights and civil liberties than you presently are. I am a good example for you. Remember you are careful not to be a good example for me.

I'm not here to steer you wrong -- and never have been.