The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-17-2009, 06:17 PM   #151
sugarpop
Professor

On a similar note, according to some military people assessing the situation in Afghanistan, in order to "win," we will have to be there for at least 8 more years and probably much longer. Rachel Maddow interviews retired Lt. Col., Dr. John Nagl, coauthor of the Counterinsurgency Field Manual, along with General David Petraus.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/#29729804

Do any of you think we can continue fighting for 8 more years or longer? I have war fatigue. In addition, since Afghanistan has never been beaten, should we really be trying to "win" a war there?
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:28 PM   #152
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I saw the interview last night. Sharp guy, very guarded comments and he sees no out other than to put a lot more troops on the ground lie 10 to 15 times what we have there now. There is no way thats gonna happen. There is no real win.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:59 PM   #153
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Obama:
Quote:
Invoking art, history and “the common humanity that binds us,” President Obama offered a “new day” in America’s relationship with Iran, using a videotaped message released on the Internet to make an unusual appeal directly to Iranians for a shift away from decades of confrontation.

Iran:
FUCK
Quote:
But in the first government reaction to the video, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's press adviser said "minor changes will not end the differences" between Tehran and Washington.

"Obama has talked of change but has taken no practical measures to address America's past mistakes in Iran. If Mr. Obama takes concrete actions and makes fundamental changes in U.S. foreign policy toward other nations including Iran, the Iranian government and people will not turn their back on him," Ali Akbar Javanfekr told the Iranian state-run English-language Press TV satellite station.
YOU
Quote:
In an almost simultaneous announcement, from Iran's energy minister, Parviz Fattah, said that the country would "finish and operate" its controversial Russian-built Bushehr nuclear plant by the end of the year.

"Iran has chosen a direction for achieving peaceful nuclear energy. We have mainly reached this aim," he said at the World Water Forum in Istanbul.

"Exactly 20 days from now we will have another celebration for celebrating the achievements we have gained for peaceful nuclear energy. You will hear about the news," he said.

"Iran will finish and operate the Bushehr nuclear plant by the end of this year."
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #154
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Eh...lets see what happens after the Iranian elections. Hopefully Ahmadinejad will bust.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #155
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
Do any of you think we can continue fighting for 8 more years or longer? I have war fatigue. In addition, since Afghanistan has never been beaten, should we really be trying to "win" a war there?
I think it can be won if they(we) don't make the mistake of thinking it's a conventional war, (which doesn't exist anymore)and use counter-insurgency tactics Petraus proved effective way back in the beginning of the Iraq war, then used later to break the stalemate nationwide. The key is not to try to lock down the country with military might, but win the support of the locals by providing security in exchange for their cooperation. Unlike Iraq, the locals already know what it's like to live under Taliban control.

Michael Yon.

McCain and Lieberman.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:27 PM   #156
Redux

History suggests that Afghanistan is a near impossible place for outside invaders/occupiers to "win."

But I do like the Obama approach of a "civilian surge" to "boost its political and economic development" in addition to more troops.
Quote:
The State Department hopes to dispatch 51 civilians to Afghanistan while other government agencies also plan to send people there to boost its political and economic development, department spokesman Robert Wood said.....

....under the soon-to-be-complete review on Afghan policy hundreds of civilians will be sent to the central Asian country, and that Obama will announce the move next week.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...Y3HzleN7SSy9LA
With the Brits agreeing to join in that approach as well
Quote:
British officials have played a central role in helping President Obama's National Security Council devise the plan, designed to win the allegiance of local Afghan leaders by showing that Nato countries are committed to rebuilding the country.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ghanistan.html
there might be hope for some level of success.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #157
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
History suggests that Afghanistan is a near impossible place for outside invaders/occupiers to "win."
I think you could safely remove the word "near" from that statement.
That's why I think we have to empower the locals to win out over the Taliban.

Quote:
But I do like the Obama approach of a "civilian surge" to "boost its political and economic development" in addition to more troops.
I agree the "civilian surge" is necessary, but it won't do squat if the locals are not safe in their villages.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #158
classicman

So Obama wants to basically use Patreus' idea and call it the Obama plan? Isn't that special.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #159
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
So Obama wants to basically use Patreus' idea and call it the Obama plan? Isn't that special.
I dont know anyone calling it the Obama plan other than you.

Obama campaigned on putting more troops in Afghanistan (I didnt agree with just more troops) and refocusing efforts against those who potentially pose the greatest threath to the US that are in the Afghan-Pakistan border regions...as opposed to six years of diverting resources from that front to engage in the "central front on the war on terrorism" in Iraq, which posed no direct threat to the US.

The idea of a "civilian surge" to accompany more troops deployed in a more targeted manner was developed jointly by the US in consultation with NATO allies.

So whats your beef? Stealing the terminology of "surge" from Petreaus?

In case you forgot, both Petreaus and Gates are now on the Obama team.

Last edited by Redux; 03-21-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:58 PM   #160
classicman

lol.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:29 PM   #161
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Iran Supreme Leader mullah Ayatollah Ali Khamenei: "In case my underlings weren't totally clear yesterday, fuck you."
Quote:
"He (Obama) insulted the Islamic Republic of Iran from the first day. If you are right that change has come, where is that change? What is the sign of that change? Make it clear for us what has changed."
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:57 PM   #162
classicman

[quote=Redux;547900]I dont know anyone calling it the Obama plan other than you. /QUOTE]

Since I read this as a petty demeaning reply, I will respond to it.
Try Googling it and see what you get. From MSNBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, Reuters, Bloomberg .... there are hundreds of relevant hits.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:05 PM   #163
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Quote:
I dont know anyone calling it the Obama plan other than you.
Since I read this as a petty demeaning reply, I will respond to it.
Try Googling it and see what you get. From MSNBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, Reuters, Bloomberg .... there are hundreds of relevant hits.
I stand corrected...the media is calling it Obama's plan in their story lines.

Obama is calling it a plan developed in consultation with his defense and national security team and NATO allies.

I honestly just didnt see the point of what I read as your cynical post of how "special" it was that Obama was basically using Petreaus' idea, particularly when most defense and national security experts and advisors said the Iraq type surge would not work in Afghanistan.

If I was wrong to interpret your post as being cynical about how 'special it was...using Petreaus' idea", perhaps you can expand on it.

Last edited by Redux; 03-21-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:15 PM   #164
classicman

Quote:
I stand corrected...the media is calling it Obama's plan in their story lines.

Obama is calling it a plan developed in consultation with his defense and national security team and NATO allies.

I honestly just didnt see the point of your post of how "special" it was that Obama was basically using Petreaus's idea.
cough/bullshit/cough - whatever dude.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:16 PM   #165
Redux

Ok...so i guess you wont expand on your post.

The fact remains that most defense and national security advisors, including Petreaus, said the Iraq type surge would not work in Afghanistan.

If you think its "special" and "using Petreaus idea"....hey, that your interpretation.

I think such an interpretation is "cough/bullshit/cough"