The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #2701
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Paula Deen has announced that she has diabetes, and thinks that her fried-butter diet is "part of the puzzle" but not the only factor. Age and stress also come into play, she says--you know, like the number of years she's been eating fried butter, and the stress it has put on her body. I snorted loudly, which probably means I'm going to hell, but I did it anyway.

Quote:
"It's like I told Oprah [Winfrey] a few years ago: 'Honey, I'm your cook, not your doctor,'" Deen said. "You are going to have to be responsible for yourself."
Turns out blaming your age is the same thing as taking responsibility. Who knew?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #2702
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Well as long as she blamed someone or something else, she'll be just fine.
I'm sure the sales of all her rap had nothing to do with that decision

(I snorted when I heard too ... see you in hell, save me a seat.)
Old 01-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #2703
monster
I hear them call the tide

Six years ago I was basically unaware of ice hockey. Now I'm almost ashamed how much I love it. I'll stop and watch any game above Mite level. I watch Hebe swim, but I'm really not interested in watching most others. i'll watch my kids play soccer, but I won't stay to watch the next game or watch the one while they're warming up..... but while my kids are warming up, dresing or doing off ice, I'll watch any game in progress. You might ask what else there is to do ....the rink has free wireless.....

worst still -while I'm confessing... I hate boxing and wrestling and martial arts and any form of professional fighting (maybe except fencing, if you count that) ...but I love the fights, even amongst the teenagers of the Plymouth Whalers (yesterday 6 goals, 7 fights....)

I should be ashamed.

But it's fun
Old 01-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #2704
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Hockey pretty much rocks.

That is all.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #2705
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Hockey pretty much rocks.

That is all.
All
Old 01-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #2706
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

I pretty much stay out of the politics forum, but occassionally I'd pop to read a little here or there, ignoring the arguments, and leave real quick. Well, I was just there reading the Mayor Nutty's thread. Dang, people can get mean in there, huh? Are all the insults necessary? Anyways, just a lame comment because everyone knows that fact.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #2707
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Just listened to a little bit of Ginrich's speech today. At one point he says if he becomes the nominee, he'll challenge Obama to 7 three hour debates, but that it's ok for Obama to use a teleprompter. Of course he thought he was being funny, but i guess he's forgotten how Bush was constantly prompted during debates.

I just thought it was a really short sighted comment, and particularly rude, especially since he isn't even the nominee and may not be in the end.

Dumb politicians.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #2708
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
I told a lie today and now have to live it out and feel like a bit of a heel in doing so.

I made packet brownies last night.
Three batches as I bought them when they were Buy 2 Get 1 Free.
I feel no guilt in using mixes - the staffroom gets what it wants and I feel happy. Usually I focus on decorating or giving something a special twist. Nothing you can do to brownies, so in the mixing bowl they went.

Trouble is, the staffroom are mostly female and adore chocolate.
AND we had a TA meeting straight after break. I wasn't there at break as I was on duty, but as soon as I came in at 10.30 I was greeted with thanks and compliments.

Linda - a very sweet woman - asked if they were made from scratch.
Oh yes, I blithely replied, as I didn't want to tarnish my image as a master baker.

At lunchtime she asked if she could have the recipe
Hers never come out as well as mine.
Sigh.
Why did I lie?

I feel I can't lose her respect by admitting the lie, so I have spent approx an hour vetting recipes online. I've found one by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall that has more steps than the average recipe, so if they turn out different - as they will, unless she is Dr Oetker - she'll assume she did something different in one of the stages.

I have to say they sound yummy and they aren't all that difficult.
But my conscience tells me I'd better make a batch soon to test them out.

And not bloody lie in future.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #2709
glatt

It's funny, because the best brownies I've ever had have always been made from a mix. For whatever reason, home made brownies just aren't as good.

The mix doesn't even have to be an expensive one. A cheap store band mix usually tastes better than brownies made from scratch.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #2710
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Damn.

If only I hadn't lied!
I could just have said the above, all superior because I know my browni-shit.

Poor Linda, doomed to forever try a 3-egg recipe that will never be as good.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #2711
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

The worst best way to fix a lie is with another lie, I've always said. Look at the ingredients list on the brownie box mix, and estimate rough amounts in descending quantity order, using other recipes as a guide. Give the list to her, and when she asks where in the world she can get Sodium Diphosphate or whatever, just shrug and say an American friend sent it to you, you've never been able to find it there in Aylesbury. Tell her it's the most important ingredient, and to look online for it. She'll never bother.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #2712
monster
I hear them call the tide

I was gonna say roughly what clod said (make up a special type of hersheys that you can only get from your buddies in the US), but then I didn't want to get laid into by the lynch mob again, so I didn't
Old 01-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #2713
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Why don't you just tell her the truth? Admit that you fibbed, and buy her a box of the packet mix.

All she really wants to do is replicate what you did, and if you explain it the right way, I'm sure she'll understand. Specially if she really is as sweet as you say.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #2714
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Martha Stewart was supposed to be this brilliant wall-street guru.
But she went to jail stemming from what I believe was insider trading,
and apparently has not yet learned to read the fine print before signing the contract.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:53pm EST
(Reuters) - Macy's Inc is suing Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia Inc, accusing
the company of breach of contract for entering into an agreement to sell certain products
at stores run by its rival J.C. Penney Co Inc.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #2715
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Why don't you just tell her the truth? Admit that you fibbed, and buy her a box of the packet mix.

All she really wants to do is replicate what you did, and if you explain it the right way, I'm sure she'll understand. Specially if she really is as sweet as you say.
Mostly, it's because she heard me lie in front of the whole staffroom. Something I am ashamed of in retrospect, but only because I was caught out. I might actually be a sociopath.

And it's because she is a sweet lady that I can't expect her to perpetuate my lie.

I like the idea of adding to the lie.
Because I'm obviously that kind of person.

Good try Ali, but at least I can be honest about it here.

Tags
dum, oh the whorror