Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 04-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #46
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
...All of which is to say, good opticians certainly do the things you list above. But good opticians may be rarer than you think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirell nutkin View Post
Spexx, the party's over. I wonder why photographers didn't do the same thing that doctors did a long time ago: create a guild that prevented others from practicing without a special license.....
Unfortunately, only 22 (I think) states are licensed, which is why I live in PA (non-licensed) and work in NJ (licensed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie View Post
Hey, I pay an optometrist $60 every year to give me a full eye exam. I get pics of my retinas and everything, since I'm typeIID and work with <Dr.>frikin' lazers</Evil> every day.
It's good that you get examined every year, that's the standard of care for diabetics (you should probably see an MD, though). But "eye doctors" don't know much about glasses. They know about eyes.

Quote:
I refuse to pay a kajillion dollars to some frame manufacturer when I know it should cost $19.95.
Should? What's should? You're not going to get a high quality, stylish, current (not discontinued which means unlikely to be replaceable if broken), frame fitted well by a good Optician for $19.95.

Quote:
And I work with precision optics for a living -- we don't pay hundreds of dollars for the stuff we use, and it's a lot more high-tech than my specs.
A replacement headlight for a 2008 Buick Lucerne is $142.00 on line. That's not high tech, either. Or installed.

Quote:
I know my prescription, my IPD, all the various lengths associated with my last specs, and verify that info with my optometrist.
As I said, you're young enough that it probably is not critical, but when you need multifocals, you may feel differently. There are something like 170 different progressive addition lens models, and plenty of lined bifocal types. Additionally, just because the sizes and lengths of your last glasses suited you doesn't mean that your new ones will. You were wearing an 18 bridge? Is that a saddle, keyhole, modified saddle, fixed, adjustable, or unifit bridge? How will the difference effect how the glasses fit you? An Optician would should better know.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #47
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I've heard Maya speak live, twice, and when it comes to things totally unlike the Big Bang...she is wonderful to hear speak.

You know, too, I remember my ex talking about what the band charged for events, or wedding receptions. He said no one thinks about hauling the shit around, sometimes up and down stairs, all the practice, the years learning the stuff...

Putting a high price tag on something doesn't make it quality, but for the most part, you pay more for the really good stuff...in just about anything.

On a much smaller level, I can pay a chick at Slash~n~Dash 3 bucks for a haircut (and I have!) but it's not going to be the nice cut I get for 17 bucks more...which will look a lot better and last a lot longer (good cuts always do) and so, it's worth it.

Glasses perhaps seem more disposable than your wedding pics. It depends on what is important to you. And people think "well, it's not like I'll have these glasses FOREVER." Yet good feeling and good fitting could lengthen the life of your glasses, I would think. No falling off and pushing them back on your face.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:38 PM   #48
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Yet good feeling and good fitting could lengthen the life of your glasses, I would think. No falling off and pushing them back on your face.
Possibly true, but will it make them last TEN times longer? Because that's how much more you are paying.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #49
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Possibly true, but will it make them last TEN times longer? Because that's how much more you are paying.
That's how much you can choose to pay. We just finished a sale where a complete pair of glasses started at $77.40, regularly $119.00. That includes my expertise, actually being able to try on frames, see how they look and fit before purchasing, measurements, ensuring the glasses were made correctly, custom fitting, guarantee to replace any broken frame or lens for a year, and future adjustments.

On the flip side, I've sold glasses that cost over $900.00 for one pair. They were really good ones.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #50
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post

A replacement headlight for a 2008 Buick Lucerne is $142.00. That's not high tech, either.
Actually it's quite high tech, just not customized for you specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Glasses perhaps seem more disposable than your wedding pics.
Definitely not.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #51
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Additionally, just because the sizes and lengths of your last glasses suited you doesn't mean that your new ones will. You were wearing an 18 bridge? Is that a saddle, keyhole, modified saddle, fixed, adjustable, or unifit bridge? How will the difference effect how the glasses fit you? An Optician would should better know.
Heed this advice. Online buying is great if you know all your important info and the style of glasses are the same. Oh and hope you know what that really means.

Spexx - Don't most optometrists know all this as well? I thought an ophthalmologist was more for serious medical issues. I thought most places had an optometrist in them, well the more reputable ones anyway.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:42 AM   #52
glatt

Quote:
Quote:
That's how much you can choose to pay. We just finished a sale where a complete pair of glasses started at $77.40, regularly $119.00.
You're proving my point for me. Your cheapest glasses are normally $120 and you ran a special where you could get them for $77.40.

eyebuydirect's cheapest glasses are $7.95. That's TEN times cheaper.

I know you add value, and I'm not arguing that point with you at all. But you charge ten times more for that value. Some people are going to decide it's not worth it.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:26 AM   #53
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Heed this advice. Online buying is great if you know all your important info and the style of glasses are the same. Oh and hope you know what that really means.
Right - buy a commodity on line. A roll of scott toilet paper is the same at the store or on line. IMHO, glasses are not a commodity. :shrug:

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Spexx - Don't most optometrists know all this as well? I thought an ophthalmologist was more for serious medical issues. I thought most places had an optometrist in them, well the more reputable ones anyway.
Ophthalmologist - mainly health of eye, performs surgery, some don't even do refractions, can't be bothered with eyewear.

Optometrist - mainly vision (refractions), can manage eye disease, may fit eyewear, but their (approximately) 2 hours of classroom eyeglass learning does not prepare them well for in-depth eyeglass dispensing. They're more interested in fitting contact lenses.

Optician - Almost entirely eyewear, some states allow Opticians to refract.

Whenever a patient comes in with problems with their glasses, regardless of where they got the glasses, I always analyze the glasses first, and give the doctors my opinion of the problem.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:36 AM   #54
Spexxvet

Quote:
...I know you add value, and I'm not arguing that point with you at all. But you charge ten times more for that value. Some people are going to decide it's not worth it.
Of course.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #55
Cloud

I looked into glasses online but with my astigmatism in one eye and the progressive lenses--I didn't think I could get the correct lenses for my eyes.

and that's too bad, 'cause I need a pair now. Normally they run me about $400-$500. Yes, it's a rip off.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:12 AM   #56
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
I looked into glasses online but with my astigmatism in one eye and the progressive lenses--I didn't think I could get the correct lenses for my eyes.

and that's too bad, 'cause I need a pair now. Normally they run me about $400-$500. Yes, it's a rip off.
What do you normally choose? Frame and progressive lenses start at $219 here.

ETA
And what's wrong with lined bifocals. That'll save you prolly $50.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:16 AM   #57
Cloud

I'm used to the progressives, and they look better. I also need the Transitions (light reactive)

My doctor is always like, Whoa! you have no pigment in your eyes. I can see all the way back to the back of the eye [insert medical term here for the back of the eye.] So, yeah, I need the Transitions.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #58
Spexxvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
I'm used to the progressives, and they look better. I also need the Transitions (light reactive)

My doctor is always like, Whoa! you have no pigment in your eyes. I can see all the way back to the back of the eye [insert medical term here for the back of the eye.] So, yeah, I need the Transitions.
Coccons Over-Rx sunglasses and Coccoon clip-ons are both less expensive than Transitions, give you better control and protection than Transitions.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #59
Cloud

better control?

but . . . I love my transitions! Before I got them, I was constantly messing with my glasses--taking them off to drive, putting on my sunglasses. Taking them off in a store, and putting on my regular glasses. Taking my regular glasses off when I go outside, and putting on my sunglasses. You get the idea.

But I will look into the clip ons.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #60
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

What about buying the frames online and having the lenses put in by an optician.
Thats what I've done. IIRC not all places carry all the lines, just like everything else.
Do you find that to be a relatively new trend, Spexx?