The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-27-2006, 10:57 AM   #16
kelliekd
Internet window-shopper

Here in GA, the HoV lane works alright, as long as you are going strait through ATL. There are precious few exit ramps from that lane, and it is on the far left, making getting off the interstate difficult during high traffic times. Proper planning would have greatly improved the system, but it is GA, right? Barring that, sometimes the HoV lane has as many cars in it as the rest of the lanes, and it is also the lane accident cars pull into, so if there is an accident, that lane is screwed, and good luck getting over because those in the fast lane hate you for having passed them two miles back.
kelliekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 05:31 AM   #17
SteveBsjb
Operations Operative

Answering original thread topic: YES
SteveBsjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:26 AM   #18
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Thanks
Old 04-03-2006, 09:00 PM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

A study in CA says no.
Quote:
Researchers at the University of California, Berkeley and California State University, East Bay have measured the effect of high occupancy vehicle (HOV) restrictions on 100 miles of freeway in the San Francisco Bay area and found the lanes have had the opposite of their intended effect. Using detectors buried in the pavement, they analyzed four-and-a-half years worth of speed and travel time data from 2001 to 2005. Because the HOV/carpool restrictions only apply for 8-10 hours a day on the freeway segments examined, traffic flow was measured both with and without the restriction.
Quote:
"HOV lanes exacerbate the problem," the authors conclude. They found overall congestion would be reduced by eliminating the HOV lane, but only in areas where effective on-ramp metering is employed during congested periods.
A report released last year also shows that the most common form of HOV lane, where general and restricted traffic is not separated by a physical barrier, causes a fifty percent increase in accidents.
But it's San Francisco so you're mileage may vary.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:22 PM   #20
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Yeah but in San Francisco about half the drivers are Chinese and.. well.. do I really need to finish this sentence?
Old 04-04-2006, 12:29 AM   #21
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

I certainly have my doubts about the idea as being proposed here - a 'self-enforcing' lane with no barriers to entry/exit - control by 'sense of shame' of cheating and police patrols. Judging by the findings of the UCBCS we're in for some heavy problems. Sadly, I dpoubt that our government will listen - seldom (make that 'never') has it the courage to change its mind in the light of major concerns or even glaring evidence that contradicts its proposals. This government of ours always goes for what I call 'headline solutions' - anything that catches the public eye, irrespective of the merits or otherwsie of the proposal.