The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-26-2018, 03:44 PM   #16
glatt

Did you all notice a couple days ago how the New York daily News laid off half its editorial staff to focus more on fast breaking content and less on thoughtful pieces?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:58 PM   #17
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
It could well have listed as it swamped, does that count?
That is what happened to a tour boat on Lake George in NY. Go kayaking to appreciate same. As the boat took on water and swamped, it became unstable and tipped (capsized) as it was going down. Then occupants were trapped; some died.

Worst part are the silly emotions that some promote. To know what happened, we must see the boat as people are dying. But we are too sensitive to see people die. So we must censor facts.

I need to see the video that shows panicked passengers dying as the boat either sinks or capsizes. But we cannot be trusted with the facts. We must not learn from what really happened.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:59 PM   #18
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

News story has survivor report saying

Quote:
Keller said her daughter and ex-husband reported the vessel began to sink in the stormy conditions Thursday night, and the occupants were briefly trapped under the duck's canopy.

Eventually, one of the duck boat operators was able to release the canopy and people swam toward the surface, according to the account Keller received.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:56 PM   #19
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
I need to see the video

You may want to see the video, but it's certainly not something that you need.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:14 AM   #20
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

The reports of this tragedy jogged my memory about a couple of incidents with Duck Boats in the UK in recent years.
A quick search revealed that there had been three not two as I had first thought.

Quote:
Incidents involving two Duck amphibious passenger vehicles in which one sank and the other caught fire highlighted extremely poor maintenance and a failure to meet standards, an accident investigation chief has said.

It was “extremely fortunate” that none of the 33 passengers and crew on board the Duck vehicle Wacker Quacker 1, formally known as a DUKW, was drowned or injured when it sank in Salthouse Dock in Liverpool on 15 June 2013, said the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) chief inspector, Steve Clinch.

In the second incident, when the London-based Duck Cleopatra caught fire on the river Thames in London on 29 September 2013, the 28 passengers and two crew had to jump into the water and were rescued by other vessels without serious injury.

In a joint report into both incidents published on Wednesday, the MAIB said that the Wacker Quacker 1, whose passengers either swam ashore or were recovered by other crafts’ crews, was the second Duck vehicle to sink in Salthouse Dock in a three-month period.

The report said that on both occasions the Ducks did not have the quantity of buoyancy foam required to provide the mandated level of residual buoyancy.

Clinch said it became clear that other DUKWs operating in the UK also did not have the quantities of foam required and that focus had shifted to ensuring that these amphibious passenger vehicles would float when flooded.

The Cleopatra’s operators, London Duck Tours, made buoyancy amendments. But Clinch explained that in the case of Cleopatra the “foam was so tightly packed around machinery that it caught fire, resulting in 30 passengers and crew needing to rapidly abandon the vehicle into the Thames”.

The Guardian
Old 07-27-2018, 07:59 AM   #21
glatt

I rode in one as a child in the early 80s in the Wisconsin Dells. It was really fun and our driver was cracking dumb jokes the whole time. He asked us to look out the back of the duck as we were on one spot of the river and said something like "Now you can tell everyone you looked up the rear end of a duck." It was painted in the same colors as when it was in the military. They seemed to treat it as a functioning museum.

The Wisconsin Dells are the perfect location for something like the Ducks because the waterways are narrow and protected and very scenic.

There use to be a few of them in DC giving tours, but I haven't seen them in a while. Maybe they are still around. People on the Ducks in DC looked a little miserable when I would see them slowly chugging through the water with no shade. The Potomac is wide where they would go in the water, and the Ducks travel slowly. There are not many things to look at from the water in DC near the boat ramp they used.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:02 AM   #22
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
You may want to see the video, but it's certainly not something that you need.
I do need. Withholding facts is a lie. Lies are a threat to human life.

Most want to see a car crash to entertain their emotions. That is a want; not a need. I need to see it to learn why it happened, how to avoid it, and what we did wrong. All are reasons for need.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:39 AM   #23
glatt

Sure, but you're just armchair analyzing here. You don't run a Duck Boat operation and don't need to analyze this. You aren't on the accident investigation team.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:16 PM   #24
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

'Need' is a hand tool.

There, now you don't even 'want' it.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:18 PM   #25
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

They used to have the old surplus ducks at Beech Bend Park. Rode 'em a bunch as a kid.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:23 PM   #26
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
You don't run a Duck Boat operation and don't need to analyze this. You aren't on the accident investigation team.
Did you learn about Murphy's Laws? Why. You are not doing military rocket work. What was learned (the whys) in White Sands applies to everyone today.

Having discussed this ongoing duck boat controversy, it will be even more interesting to learn from an NTSB investigation (that will take months or a year). To learn why some jumped to a conclusion without some facts.

Long ago, was a discussion about a forced beach landing (a week after Katrina) of a two engine plane. Fuel was cut off from both engines. Everyone should have learned from that - the hows and whys. Since it even explains why car crashes happen or are averted. The whys are always needed to know. Since what happened here does not only apply to duck boats.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:25 PM   #27
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
'Need' is a hand tool.
Can't find it in Home Depot or Amazon. Where can one be purchased?
Old 07-27-2018, 09:29 PM   #28
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

here's some info for busybodies who 'need' to know

https://nypost.com/2018/07/25/builde...neer-training/

It seems the duck boat concept itself is not flawed, just one idiot's execution of the concept.

There: 'need' satisfied.
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:42 PM   #29
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DUKW

Edumacate yerself.
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:52 AM   #30
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
There: 'need' satisfied.
Another (of many) relevant fact that addresses that need.

It might explain, for example, no reserve buoyancy. Or worse, reserve buoyancy that makes a swamped duck boat capsize.