The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-05-2007, 05:25 AM   #16
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I think the Israeli action is by outsiders. There was a call on the website for as many clowns as possible to go to Israel to protest the Wall.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:54 AM   #17
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

Which they will undoubtedly be doing from the Israeli side of it, if they see themselves as fit to protest in the Middle East then I'll listen to them when they hold a rally in Saudi Arabia or Iran.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #18
queequeger
Hypercharismatic Telepathical Knight

Haha! So unless someone puts themselves at great risk they're not worth your time? That's a pretty interesting way to look at the world.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:21 PM   #19
DanaC

They aren't commandos, they're clowns. They protest by mocking and belittling the powerful. In the Middle East the powerful are the Israeli government and 'defence force' so that is who they go to to belittle and mock. Fools have always had the privelege of mocking the powerful.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:57 PM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Fools have always had the privelege of mocking the powerful.
Not everywhere.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:16 PM   #21
9th Engineer

I'm saying that if you can't hold your rally among the people you are supporting, then it's time to reevaluate your agenda. If they want to protest the wall, let them do it from the Palestinian side.

Quote:
Haha! So unless someone puts themselves at great risk they're not worth your time? That's a pretty interesting way to look at the world.
I want them to put their money where their mouth is, so to speak. You yourself admit that there's some serious hate'n going on over there that they can address if they really feel that strongly about it.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:53 PM   #22
queequeger
Hypercharismatic Telepathical Knight

You can feel pretty strongly about something and still not want to risk your life over it. Ever stop to think that they're protesting in favor of the ones who aren't a danger? Most palestinians don't feel like killing anyone they can get their hands on, but there are some that do. The idea that these people have to risk themselves to prove a point is beyond stupid. There's no reason for it.

MY opinion is that you just feel like finding some way to ignore them because you disagree with them. "That's it, I'll just call 'em pussies!"
Old 09-06-2007, 03:59 AM   #23
DanaC

Quote:
I'm saying that if you can't hold your rally among the people you are supporting, then it's time to reevaluate your agenda. If they want to protest the wall, let them do it from the Palestinian side.
The point isn't to talk to the Palestinians though. Their whole modus operandi is to protest to and at the people in power who are, in their eyes, the villains of the piece. Protesting to the palestinians about their plight wouldn't help.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:43 PM   #24
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Now that was funny.
"White Powder!"
Old 09-13-2007, 03:46 PM   #25
9th Engineer

Villains of the peace? It's a UN founded and supported country, 2/3'rds vote. Effectively, to challenge Israel's right to exist is to challenge the authority of the UN in all such matters. You can of course, I'm just clarifying.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:35 PM   #26
DanaC

Quote:
Effectively, to challenge Israel's right to exist is to challenge the authority of the UN in all such matters. You can of course, I'm just clarifying.

There's a difference between challenging Israel's right to exist and protesting against their treatment of the Palestinians.

Quote:
It's a UN founded and supported country, 2/3'rds vote.
The same UN that time after time attempts to censure Israel's actions only to have that censure blocked by one member using its veto (USA). The same UN that has deemed Israel to be in contravention of International law in its continued occupation of Palestine Territory. The same UN which has voiced serious concerns about Israel's continued Human Rights breaches.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:06 PM   #27
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I don't think they're challenging Israels right to exist. Aren't they trying to help people understand that building a wall to shut out those you disagree with is silly, and even sillier when they're supposed to be on your side anyway (meaning of course that it's jews against jews for the most part).
Old 09-13-2007, 10:09 PM   #28
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
There's a difference between challenging Israel's right to exist and protesting against their treatment of the Palestinians.

The same UN that time after time attempts to censure Israel's actions only to have that censure blocked by one member using its veto (USA). The same UN that has deemed Israel to be in contravention of International law in its continued occupation of Palestine Territory. The same UN which has voiced serious concerns about Israel's continued Human Rights breaches.
The UN as an orgainzation is a dismal failure. I wish we would stop throwing money at it.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:34 PM   #29
9th Engineer

I'm sure that if it was just a disagreement instead of a daily rocket exchange they wouldn't bother with a wall. A wall is purely defensive, not an attack on anyone else.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:59 PM   #30
DanaC

It's an attack when it effectively imprisons the populations of entire towns (refugee camps). And Walls aren't the only weapon Israel employs. You cannot reduce the Middle East conflict to Palestine firing rockets and Israel building a wall.