The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-08-2018, 12:44 PM   #1
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Can you help to identify a series of children's books, please?

This is something of a long shot. In fact a very long shot, but in for a penny, in for a pound.

When I was a kid I had a number of books on science and natural history which were part of a series.

Other subjects might have been covered but those are the only ones I remember.

They were soft back, the covers were colour printed as were the illustrations within.

Each book was approximately 11" x 8" and about a quarter of an inch thick.

Now this is where you might be able to help. I did stumble across a reference to the series a few years ago and found out that it was produced by an American publisher, a fact that I had either forgotten or never knew.

I can't find the original reference so if you have any thoughts which could help in identifying these books, please don't keep them to yourselves.

I'd like to find a copy or two from somewhere which I could keep for old times' sake.

Over to you, gentle Dwellars.
Old 09-08-2018, 01:21 PM   #2
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

When I think of topic based American book series, Time Life (which began publishing them in 1961) comes to mind. You can check out the listing of Book series in the Wikipedia article to see if any titles ring a bell. I still have the LIFE Library of Photography referenced there. I think they published both hardcover and softcover series.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

National Geographic Kids started in 1975.

Ranger Rick?
Old 09-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #4
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

The American Heritage Junior Library was a subscription series like you describe. It's hard to imagine it being a surprise to you later in life that "American Heritage" was printed by an American publisher, but not all the books said "American Heritage" prominently on the cover.

Edit: Although now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure those were all hardbacks. Not to force you to admit your age, but what decade are we looking at?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:01 PM   #5
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
When I think of topic based American book series, Time Life (which began publishing them in 1961) comes to mind. You can check out the listing of Book series in the Wikipedia article to see if any titles ring a bell. I still have the LIFE Library of Photography referenced there. I think they published both hardcover and softcover series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
National Geographic Kids started in 1975.

Ranger Rick?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
The American Heritage Junior Library was a subscription series like you describe. It's hard to imagine it being a surprise to you later in life that "American Heritage" was printed by an American publisher, but not all the books said "American Heritage" prominently on the cover.

Edit: Although now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure those were all hardbacks. Not to force you to admit your age, but what decade are we looking at?
First of all, please forgive my tardiness in replying but my PC had an almighty crash while viewing the Mars Rover video elsewhere on the site. All is now well.

Thank you everyone for the time and trouble you have all gone to.

Unfortunately, none of the suggestions has borne fruit but I still live in hope of finding the series by one means or another.

I only became aware of the books being an American publication when I read a web article about them a few years ago.

To the best of my recollection there was no mention of that on the cover or in the title.

Lastly....

Showing my age now, it would have been the second half of the sixties when they were about.

Last edited by Carruthers; 09-08-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #6
Clay
Writer of Writings

What was the target age?

How about these?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let&#3...nd-Out_Science

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 05:20 PM   #7
sexobon

Perhaps it was something like this:

http://www.collectorville.net/index.php/ct-menu-item-7

Both American publisher and UK version.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:06 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Did they appear to be printed with movable type?
Sorry, the devil made me do it.

Your Dad is no help then? You know we elderly can't remember what happened yesterday but sometimes put up the damndest details from way back.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:54 PM   #9
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Perhaps it was something like this:

http://www.collectorville.net/index.php/ct-menu-item-7

Both American publisher and UK version.
THAT'S THEM!

Thanks ever so much for that. It's been bugging me for years!

They were great books which I found really inspiring as a kid.

Please forgive my brevity, but it's 0350 here and, although pretty much awake, I'm otherwise barely functioning.

Will have a look at eBay in the morning.

Thanks also to Clay and Bruce.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:17 AM   #10
Clay
Writer of Writings

Congratulation
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:20 AM   #11
sexobon

I had forgotten about that excellent series of books. It felt as though I should have remembered something like that. After a fruitless topic search, I looked into period publishers which led me to the article. Still, it didn't ring a bell; until, I saw pictures of covers I recognized. The change in back cover design cinched it.

I didn't own these books which is probably why I didn't remember them at first. While in elementary (primary) school, there was a library period during which students could study; or, roam. It was there that I encountered the series and these two covers (Gila monster and microscope) came back to me:

Name:  Reptiles.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  66.0 KBName:  Microscope.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  64.7 KB

Then I remembered the change in back cover (with series index) design between different volumes and thinking it was quite an improvement. The article says the change occurred in 1962; but, I think I née 55 didn't notice the series until 1965 when a mandatory Spanish language class in 5th grade introduced me to the Gila monster as an example of letter pronunciation and piqued my curiosity in the library. Shame I hadn't remembered all that without cues so as to make it my first suggestion. Oh well, better late than never.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2018, 12:10 PM   #12
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Oh well, better late than never.
I'm just pleased to have the puzzle solved!

I wasn't aware of how extensive the range of subjects was.
This Wikipedia article gives chapter and verse on the series both sides of the Atlantic.

There's a surprising number of copies available on eBay and Amazon at prices of as little as £0.01 to above £30 ($39) so I'll probably buy a couple of copies to remind me of my long lost childhood.
It's a shame that the 'How and Why Wonder Book of Beech Hedge Cutting' was never published. It would have been a godsend this afternoon.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:15 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's easy, take a run down to Wembley and ask the guys with knives.
I say chap, would you show me how you cut the Beeches?
Old 09-09-2018, 02:16 PM   #14
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Well, this was fun.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Carruthers is always fun.