The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-20-2016, 03:09 PM   #106
Beest
Adapt and Survive

I can imagine the insert loosening in the wrench pretty quickly
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #107
glatt

I would think that they would have a special weave to the carbon fiber cloth to give it better strength along the long axis of the wrench. Those short fibers going perpendicular to the long axis add very little strength.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:33 PM   #108
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Actually the short fibers tie the long ones together so they share the strain. Pulling on the wrench wants to compress the long ones on one side and stretch the long ones on the other.

But the fact remains this is a high tech solution to a nonexistent problem. Plus they're way too much money. Sure a polished Snap-On set could cost that much, but personally I think that's ridiculous, when you can get a Craftsman set for probably $30. I don't like the Snap-Ons because they're too slippery. Oh, and combination wrenches are more useful.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:18 PM   #109
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

The Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ is a goddamned turd. It is a motherfucking piece of shit. I could happily beat Mr. Barnes, and Mr. Noble to death with it. Smiling every second. I cannot believe this product made it to store shelves. There is no way, NO FUCKING WAY, I would have my name associated with this product.

Somebody, somewhere was the last person to have to sign their name on a document releasing this chalky, dried up, dog turd of a product to the market place. That person should be fired and prohibited from ever holding more responsibility than the fry guy at McDonald's. I'm not talking about the guy what cooks the fries, mind you, I'm talking about the guy who's job it is to put the cooked fries in the little paper sack, or the little cardboard carrier.

Looking at something online? SLAM!! Fuck you, Bunky, you're now looking at the desktop, or WETF they call it. Want to type in a web address? Go ahead, Pecky, type it in. Wait. Why doesn't my keyboard come up when I touch the address bar? Come to think of it why doesn't my touch screen work. Touch. Touch. Touch. TOUCH! TOUCH!!!! TOUCH, GODDAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!

MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you get buttfucked, right in the mouth.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:23 PM   #110
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Me: Turn the page.

Nook HD+: Whuh, what's that?

Me: Turn the page.

Nook:

Me: Please turn the page.

Nook: Whatsthatnow?

Me: Turn the page, y'know, swipe left to turn the page?

Nook: What is this, some new alien technology? I don't ev--desktop.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:25 PM   #111
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

One of these days, I'll prolly stick my finger right through this fucking thing.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:32 PM   #112
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Sorry for your frustration but that was .

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:01 PM   #113
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Oh, I can totally see the humor. It ain't too funny rfn, but I can see it.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:28 PM   #114
Flint
Snowflake

This is hilarious, you know it is.

You're responding the correct way--don't listen to those pansies who will try to calm you down. DESTROY THAT GARBAGE DEVICE. Teach it a lesson, HA HA HA ha ...
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:10 PM   #115
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I'm pretty happy with my Kindle Fire, though I do wish it had a hardware button for page turning, so I could maintain a light grip, and just apply pressure to turn the page, rather than reach and swipe with my finger as I'm reading myself to sleep.

I think the e-ink kindles have hardware buttons, but I want it to be lit (but dimmable) so I can read myself to sleep with the lights off, and I want the option for other apps. It's a tradeoff.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:24 PM   #116
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I have a 4th gen e-ink kindle - no backlight, and no touch screen. Page turning uses paddles on the sides.

I've had it since around 2012 and it still works well. No good for graphic novels or magazines, and books with illustrations of any kind suffer - but just a standard novel and it is great.

When I got mum a kindle, I got the newer touchscreen version of the e-ink model - very similar but with touch screen and better able to cope with magazine articles and the like. It is still black and white and very simple but works well. I deliberately got that one because it is the only one in the range without backlight.

The blue light that is emitted by kindle screens, like smart phone and tablet screens interferes with the brain's natural detection of night time and suppresses production of the sleep hormone.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:26 PM   #117
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
The blue light that is emitted by kindle screens, like smart phone and tablet screens interferes with the brain's natural detection of night time and the suppresses production of the sleep hormone.
Maybe, but the yellow light emitted by a lamp that's on when I fall asleep bypasses hormones altogether, and makes me wake up in the middle of the night to turn it off.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:34 AM   #118
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

This thing has ruined touch screens for me. Fuck a touch screen, I won't have one.

You guys should be around when this thing decides to fuck me over like I described. It's a slow burn that Jackie Gleason could be proud of. I can actually see Kramden using one and going all, well, Kramden on the thing.

I'd kinda like to see what it looks like, the slow build to near-violence. Probably quite entertaining.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:36 AM   #119
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Oh, and the coolest thing about the Nook HD+?

About 25% of them brick theyself at the first update.

It is just a horrible product.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:16 PM   #120
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Yeah, the Nook HD was my first tablet and it taught me to IGNORE THE UPDATES!

In fact, I am currently doing just that to my Samsung s6 phone. I just don't want to have to deal with the headache it will cause.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote