The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:42 PM   #76
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
On a dying planet is it wrong to throw away a microwave because it's just been abused so long that you can't tell if it's clean?
I've got a clean microwave you can have.
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:42 PM   #77
Glinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
How does one get a -10 min.'lb. [10 min./lb.] standing time? Looks like they could've used a proofreader.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:48 PM   #78
Glinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
The aluminum foil is applied right after the defrost cycle ends. Then comes the standing time in foil.
Actually, I think they're saying to cover the warmed bits of the defrosting food with a small piece of aluminum foil.

I found this:

Is it safe to use aluminum foil in a microwave oven?
Always consult the owner's manual of your microwave oven and heed the manufacturer's recommendations for the use of aluminum foil. It can be safe to use small amounts of aluminum foil in a microwave oven.

Microwaves cannot pass through metal but are absorbed by food. No food completely covered by aluminum foil or in a covered metal pan should be put in a microwave oven because food wouldn't be available to absorb the microwaves. Operating the oven empty or when the food is completely wrapped in aluminum foil can cause damage to the oven and the food won't heat.

However, small pieces of aluminum foil can be used to "shield" areas of foods, such as poultry drumsticks and wings, to prevent overcooking.

Some food packaged in foil containers can be safe to microwave. Read the package heating instructions to see if the food manufacturer has specific recommendations for microwaving the product. Because food in these containers will only heat from the top, it's best to microwave foods only 1-2 inches in depth so food near the bottom will be heated thoroughly before food on top dries and overcooks.

General Rules for Safe Use of Aluminum Foil:
  • Use new, smooth foil only. Wrinkled foil can cause arcing (sparks).
  • Cover no more than 1/4 of the food with foil.
  • Shape the foil smoothly to the food so no edges stick out.
  • It makes no difference which side of foil (shiny or dull) is facing out.
  • Do not place the foil closer than one inch from the oven walls.
  • If the microwave oven has metal shelves OR a metal turntable, don't microwave food in foil containers or metal pans, and don't let foil used for shielding touch or be close to the shelves or turntable.
  • If you see arcing (sparks), immediately remove the foil shielding; transfer frozen food from foil container to a microwave-safe utensil.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:13 PM   #79
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Could be!

That's just not the impression I got from the way the page in that particular manual was written. It lists the foil towards the end of the procedure, after all the turning, without specifying using foil as you go along.

Putting foil on after defrosting to retain the heat in the warm parts so it can disseminate into the cooler parts is not uncommon. To me, putting foil on during defrosting would be more trouble than it's worth since I've always gotten good results without it. YMMV.

It also seems like a subjective practice that a manufacturer could use to void warranty coverage.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #80
Glinda

New micro arrived today. *squeeeeee*

I haven't yet put it through its all of its paces - I just made a huge pot of chili last night, so I won't have anything ready to test/defrost for a few days. Will let you know how this one works as updates become available.

Suffice it to say, I'm thrilled to have a new micro that won't (or shouldn't!) asplode while I'm out taking care of other people's critters.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:09 PM   #81
monster
I hear them call the tide

Oh that's what I have. Second incarnation, we eventually killed the first (but it took a LONG time). They're great.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:08 PM   #82
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
New micro...
Swanky.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:17 PM   #83
Glinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Oh that's what I have. Second incarnation, we eventually killed the first (but it took a LONG time). They're great.
Yay! Thanks for the thumbs-up vote. Do you think it'll last 50 years, like the last one?
Old 03-18-2019, 11:47 PM   #84
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Save the old one for cooking your neighbors head.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:47 AM   #85
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Hot Glinda's 50 yr comment made me think of my grandmothers toaster. When it quit and she got a new one she said she hoped they made better toasters by now. The old one only lasted 57 years.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:35 PM   #86
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I think we went over the toaster problem?

I think we worked out that in order to get a "better toaster than the one from 50 years ago" you need to pay Williams-Sonoma on the order of $200?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:36 PM   #87
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yes. Clod did the math:

https://cellar.org/showthread.php?p=...er#post1006841
Old 03-19-2019, 02:39 PM   #88
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

With a name like Smeg, you know it's got to be good.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...7Ctoaster%7C40

We need a new toaster. I'm thinking about it.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:54 PM   #89
glatt

My toaster that I wound up getting and may be in that thread is still going strong. I highly recommend it.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:01 PM   #90
glatt

And they don't make it anymore. It is a Krups. Maybe today's Krups toasters are as good as the Krups I bought ten years ago.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote