The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-11-2002, 04:01 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I miss John Candy

I was just thinking about John Candy's character in Stripes. Remember: "I swallowed a lot of aggression... along with a lot of pizza!"

I don't think the kids born today are gonna understand John Candy. He made a lot of really bad movies. And the good movies he's in, it doesn't seem like he's doing very much. So if you said to someone "John Candy was great", and they watched one movie to see what the fuss was all about, it wouldn't make sense.

But there was something about the big guy that made you instantly like him. You see him in a movie, you'd say "hey it's John Candy", and a smile would come over your face. He made things better and funnier just by being there.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 04:27 PM   #2
dave

I agree with you totally. I loved him. Platonically, of course. I thought he was awesome. And it really hit me when he died. Too early.

John Denver too. Just the goofiest musician ever - but a genuinely good guy, and he made some great music. Thinking about him just makes me smile, and as we all know, the more smiles, the better your day, the better your life. Lot of people have been taken from this world too early. John Candy and John Denver are definitely 2 of the "top 10" that I'd list.
Old 01-12-2002, 01:23 AM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Re: I miss John Candy

I think John Candy was best on SCTV. Although some kids may not get it now, some of those skits were beyond funny.

Too bad they pulled SCTV as of Monday on NBC.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 09:51 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

can't believe I missed this thread

Orange whip? Orange whip?
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 11:08 AM   #5
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Talking

Did somebody say, "whip"?!

Brian
BrianR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 01:55 PM   #6
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

aww. paul and i were talking about this the other night.

he was so funny because he was so cocky and he said smart things. and because he was so big. man. and we were comparing him to chris farley in that they were both humorous because of their weight, and the way it played into their roles, but chris farley can never ever ever ever compare to john candy.

he was funnier than chris farley because most of chris farley's roles were "that dumb fat guy" whereas john candy showed everyone that YES!, the big guys can be MORE intelligent and witty, and therefore hilarious.

what a great actor.
jeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 02:11 PM   #7
Nic Name
retired

Toronto boy makes good

John Candy's biography ... a life of laughs

John Franklin Candy was born in Toronto, Canada, October 31, 1950. Candy grew up in Scarborough, Canada, where he was known as an intelligent student and talented football player at Neil McNeil high school. After graduation, Candy enrolled in a local community college, where he took a handful of drama courses and discovered his passion for comedy and acting.

While a student, Candy auditioned for as many bit parts as his time would allow. After several years of study, he found a position with the Children's Theater in Ontario, and a small offering of walk-on roles in local television commercials and small budget Canadian films. Candy's first ever television performance was at CBC's Toronto headquarters, where he appeared in the children's classics as "Coming Up Rosie" and later in "Dr. Zonk and the Zunkins."

In 1977, at the age of 27, John was offered a position with Second City, a comedic improvisational team based in Chicago. He eagerly accepted, moving to Illinois, and becoming a regular performer, comedian and writer for the popular television show, SCTV, also hosted by the group. Candy became a favorite at the Chicago theatre, on Toronto stages and as a performer with SCTV. During this same time, Candy auditioned for a role beside John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd in the soon-to-be famous film, "The Blues Brothers." He earned the part, and starred in his first major film, playing Burton Mercer. By 1981, Candy had won two Emmy's for his writing work with the show SCTV, appeared in the movie "Stripes" and "Heavy Metal," and was ready for bigger things.

Candy put his comedy routines aside and began to concentrate on his acting. In 1984, he would make a name for himself playing opposite Tom Hanks in the super-smash-hit, "Splash." During the ten years that followed, Candy starred in thirty-four movies, including "Cool Runnings," "Only The Lonely," "JKF," "Uncle Buck," and "Home Alone." Until his death in 1994, John Candy worked tirelessly, appearing in at least one film a year between 1974-1991.

At the height of his career, Candy was 6-feet, 3-inches tall and weighed more than 250 pounds. Even though the sight of him warmed audiences to him and he was labeled "the most huggable in all of Hollywood," Candy talked frequently about his struggle with weight.

Candy invested his money wisely and passionately. An active sports fan, he became co-owner of his favorite boyhood Canadian Football team, the Toronto Argonauts. The Argonauts won the Grey Cup during Candy's first year of ownership, and Candy was known as a tireless worker and fan, who operated largely behind the scenes. He also opened a chain of blues restaurants with former "Blues Brothers" star, Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi's brother, Jim. Candy also studied acting from behind the scenes, making his directorial debut with Fox Network's "Hostage For A Day."

John Candy died unexpectedly of a heart attack March 4, 1994, while filming on location is Durango, Mexico. He was 44 years old. His funeral, held at St. Michael's Cathedral, was broadcast live on TV in Canada. Candy is survived by his wife, Rose, and two children, Jennifer and Christopher. Candy's final movies, "Wagons East" and "Canadian Bacon" were released after his death.

His memory lives on: John Candy's Sound Gallery
Nic Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 02:26 PM   #8
dave

"Canadian Bacon" was seriously one of my favorite movies ever. It was good to see him again.

I wonder if it's out on DVD. If it is, it'll be the next one I pick up...
Old 02-23-2002, 08:53 PM   #9
node
Pithy Euphemist

Re: can't believe I missed this thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
Orange whip? Orange whip?
He was great in that film, saw it only yesterday for the first time on big screen too. What a treat after having watched it year after year on video practically since I learned to speak (i.e. a few short years after its release).

Though the Blues Brothers ranks as one of my favourite films of all time I think my favourite John Candy role was as Barf in Spaceballs. "I'm a Mog! Half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend."

Pete
node is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 09:37 AM   #10
Galadriel
Alphabetarian

Hey guys, long time, no see. You can't forget Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, that is one of the best movies of all times.

I have never laughs so much in my life as the first time I saw it as a kid, I also think it was the first movie I ever cried at. I mean when he goes back in that trainstation at the end. Oh, here I go again.
Galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 09:47 AM   #11
dave

Long time indeed. Hello.

Andrea got me the Canadian Bacon DVD for... well, I don't know why. I'm not sure if anything special happened. Anyway, I have it, and I think I need to watch that soon. Jenni would enjoy it.

Coming up on 8 years since he passed. If there is any type of life after death, I hope he's having a good one.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:25 PM   #12
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

I loved John!!

I like these movies

Uncle Buck (1989) - I have it on VHS (Recorded from analogue cable (PPV))
Whos Harry Crumb (1989) - I have it on VHS
Vacation (1983) - I have it on VHS (Official and recorded from analogue cable (HBO))
Nothing But trouble (1991) - I have it recorded from DirecTV (Back when I had it - I wanna get a better copy of this movie)

Uncle Buck is sweet.... It brings a troubled family together and John helps do that!!
Whos harry Crumb is funny and good
Vacation is excellent as we know
Nothing but trouble is a strange movie but good........

John is quite missed!!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:49 AM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
I was just thinking about John Candy's character in Stripes. Remember: "I swallowed a lot of aggression... along with a lot of pizza!"

I don't think the kids born today are gonna understand John Candy. He made a lot of really bad movies. And the good movies he's in, it doesn't seem like he's doing very much. So if you said to someone "John Candy was great", and they watched one movie to see what the fuss was all about, it wouldn't make sense.

But there was something about the big guy that made you instantly like him. You see him in a movie, you'd say "hey it's John Candy", and a smile would come over your face. He made things better and funnier just by being there.
17 years on, this is all still true. Maybe those kids will recognize his pain but yeah they probably won't get him out of context.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #14
Peterdowe
Belt Conveyor

Quote:
"But there was something about the big guy that made you instantly like him. You see him in a movie, you'd say "hey it's John Candy", and a smile would come over your face. He made things better and funnier just by being there."
That's definitely true. Man, 17 years, has it really been that long?
Peterdowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:00 AM   #15
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote