The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 04-30-2016, 07:54 AM   #316
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Excellant
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:25 PM   #317
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Here's an irony for all y'all; I'm not even supposed to be here. Not this thread specifically, nor the cellar, but the internet.
My use of the web has moved well past the unhealthy distraction phase to deeply in addiction territory. I don't mean cutesy 'addiction' like "OMG I'm addicted to mocha frappucinos" but capital A Addiction like, missing appointments because I was online, or being late for meetings, or spacing out my kid's award ceremony, not writing cover letters, letting everything lapse because I want to see what the next link will bring.

Ironically, again, the only 12 step meetings for internet or screen addiction are online...

I'm considering getting rid of my computer and only accessing the internet when necessary, at the library.

I'm going to look for another 12 step meeting around here that may be semi-relevant.

I've known I've had a TV addiction since I was about 18 and have not owned a TV in all that time. The few times I lived with housemates who've had TVs I would be up until 4, eyes bloodshot and crusty, exhausted before I finally caved in an went to bed, where I would have an experience that was almost like having the bedspins and I would wake up hungover.

Where I can set limits with booze and I think gambling is the stupidest fucking thing ever, I have never been able to moderate my consumption of this.

Just thought I'd share. Thanks
Old 04-30-2016, 04:01 PM   #318
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

If you have an addictive personality, you may wind up replacing it with something else. What would that be, most likely?

If you don't have an addictive personality, I recommend tapering off.

There are programs that help with this. Not programs. I'm talking about programs. Apps.

I would like you to drop the Cellar last, because I love you here man.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:50 PM   #319
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I knew a girl I swear was addicted to 12 step programs, seriously.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:29 PM   #320
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
If you have an addictive personality, you may wind up replacing it with something else. What would that be, most likely?

If you don't have an addictive personality, I recommend tapering off.

There are programs that help with this. Not programs. I'm talking about programs. Apps.

I would like you to drop the Cellar last, because I love you here man.
Thanks, UT. I feel the same way. I've been thinking about installing something like K9 on my computer.

As for addictions, I've really only had a problem with screens. For whatever reason none of the other activities, substances, etc have stuck with me.

I have two woodworking gigs lined up that should keep me busy and employed for a few months. I'm hoping the break in my lifestyle (read not isolating, ruminating, but earning money and socializing and getting outside) may serve to change things up. My brain-tightener points out that it is mainly functioning as an escape from my own thoughts (me paraphrasing) That is true.

When the shorties are here it is a lot easier for me to keep things relatively speaking, under control. 90% of the time I'm going to bed when they do and getting up early.

I'd be grateful if you'd let me know what sort of apps you are thinking of, and leaving the cellar is the last thing I want to do. <-- Bruce gets the joke.

And yes, Bruce I have seen people addicted to 12 step meetings. I've been to a few and I dislike the kumbaya aspect that a lot of them have acquired with their cutesy "it works if you work it so keep on working it" chant. Among other things.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:24 PM   #321
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I don't know but I've heard of programs that shut off your Internet at a certain time, or only allow you so many hours of it, or block certain sites, etc.

Maybe this, although it's aimed at parents:

http://www.surfblocker.com/
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:38 AM   #322
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Hey footfootfoot,

First step recognizing the problem, check.

Docking soon, must hurry.

A sponsor of sorts. Someone to check in with, to be accountable with.

Also, there are definitely ways to programmatically control the access to the Internet using a given connection. I do that for a living.

Disembarking. TTYL.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:37 PM   #323
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

10 months today, celebrated by smoking my first whole ribeye and wow, melt in your mouth wonderful!
Old 05-28-2016, 09:01 PM   #324
Griff
still says videotape

Old 05-28-2016, 09:07 PM   #325
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Nice!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:43 PM   #326
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

I wasn't exactly sure where to plop this vid but since I was only able to do this because I sobered up, I figured that right here would be appropriate.

I was finally issued a medical certificate, albeit with limitations, on 6/9/16. Long story short of it is I applied for a 1st class medical (commercial pilots need a 1st or a 2nd) and they issued me a 3rd class medical (for private pilots) from Oklahoma City where the application was sent initially so I can fly while my 1st class is being reviewed in Washington D.C. which should take another 45 days or so at the time of issuance of the 3rd class.

with the 3rd class medical in hand I was able to finally take my training flight to become a Second In Command (SIC) or first officer on the Cessna Citation CE-500 series aircraft. Below is a video excerpt of the flight. We did 2 landings in Galveston with the 3rd in north houston, kdwh, where we left the plane for avionics maintenance.

kind of long but this is my first flight taking off and landing a jet (i've flown this plane and another like it before just never this involved)

Old 06-25-2016, 01:45 PM   #327
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Good shots, Cap'n.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:33 PM   #328
Griff
still says videotape

Old 06-27-2016, 03:06 PM   #329
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Look. Up in the sky.

It's bird.

It's a plane.

It's Philthy!!!!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:15 PM   #330
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Thanks y'all, quite the milestone!

in about 45 minutes i will be 11 months sober. I honestly did not think I could do this.

Also this weekend is my first trip flying the jet and the destination is.......Aspen