https://panoraven.com/slider/roVnj8QoVf
Old 05-06-2019, 06:33 AM   #182
Griff
still says videotape

That's living boy!
Old 05-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #183
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Hey V, about how many pics does it take to make a pano like that?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:18 PM   #184
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Hey V, about how many pics does it take to make a pano like that?
I'll have to count... Be right back.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:08 PM   #185
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

No biggie. I thought you might know off the top of your head.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:12 PM   #186
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Thirty-six individual pictures comprise one 360 panorama. The Pixel I have does most of the work. I hold the camera upright and level and press the start button. It gives me a white dot to encircle with a ring on the screen. There are five horizontal bands of these dots. Twelve around the equator, three at each pole and nine around each band between the equator and the pole. 3+9+12+9+3=36.

The camera takes the picture when I encircle the dot, I don't have to press any buttons. As you get closer to the dot you're moving toward, the dot turns blue. When you have it centered in the ring the dot disappears and the picture of that angle appears. At the end of all the pictures, it beeps and starts stitching them together in the background, leaving the camera free for more pictures.

I usually need a second to recover after spinning around five times in place while looking at my phone.

It's a panorama now, but it takes special software to view it. The phone has it built in, and so does Google photos through a browser. To share it out with you guys, I found panoraven, which you've all seen by now. I use the free version.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:23 PM   #187
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

For example, I took this one to count the pictures and to show you the recent progress. Twil bought a table and chairs so we have a place to sit and eat and drink. The deck feels like it is filling up. The black mat is where the new grill will go. And the lights are really pretty down low like this, but I can and do touch them with my head as I walk around. They'll definitely have to be raised up into the trusses. The pattern's good though we might have to set them back a bit more from the edge of the tub.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:41 PM   #188
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Another point about the panoramas. The computer doing the stitching presumes you've rotated the camera about the sensor. Good fuckin luck buddy. They make special ball head tripods that do
this... I'm doing these freehand. This kind of subject the deck the trusses all those straight lines are especially unforgiving in the these panos.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:18 AM   #189
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Thanks, Big V.

Your description of the process for taking the pics is almost the same as my old camera taking standard panos. Only I line up a plus sign inside a hollow plus sign, the cam takes the pic automatically, and I line the plusses up for the next in the two or three shot series. That camera, a FujiFilm FinePix S3280, took pretty good panoramas.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #190
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Trying to remember the dog's name...Is it Jack, or is Jack no longer with us? I ferget.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:25 PM   #191
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Jack's his name. He's in a sunny spot in the yard, topped by a halo of blue hyacinths.

ETA...

Jack died awhile ago, but Andy, the Reluctant Outdoor Dog, he's still kickin. He's in some of the recent pics.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #192
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Today the electrician comes to upgrade our electrical service.

I'm told this will be a two day process. Originally, day one would have been used to switch meter bases and electrical panels. Plan was to have the power company cut power to the house to make the switch to the new meter safe to do. Turns out, the power company doesn't do courtesy cutoffs/reconnects like this on the weekend.

So the new day one will be *me* crawling under the house in the crawlspace to drag the pair of four conductor (probably AWG 4) cables from the entrance to the crawlspace which is next to the deck under the house to the opposite side of the house where the electrical service, meter, and panel are now. I imagine some kind of hole through the floor and wall will be needed, once located, to run the cable up to where the new panel will be installed. I think there will also be a new panel installed today, but only the new circuit connected to it. Then, back out on the deck, the hot tub sub panel (provided by the hot tub company with two GFCI breakers in it, one 30 amp, one 20 amp) will be installed and connected to one set of four conductors for a dedicated circuit.

The other circuit will have its own sub panel and be available for a one of more accessory circuits on the deck, lights, etc. The rest of the 230v circuit will end in a "stub" for further expansion, notably the workshop to be built beyond the garage.

The electrician and I have agreed to let me help on the job in return for a reduction on the bill, basically, he'll pay me what he'd pay any other helper and subtract my "wage" from the bill. I'd be up in his stuff all day anyhow, might as well get paid.

Now crawling under the house is the least attractive part of this proposition and I might have to subcontract this task to one of the kid's skinny friends. We'll see. And you'll see, I already have pics of the torn out wall, ready for its close-up.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #193
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Fun, fun, fun! Do good and maybe he'll hire you for other jobs, you know, the dangerous/dirty ones he won't do.

When I was replacing my old 60 amp fuse panel with a 100 amp breaker panel I had a small generator for light to see what I was doing. Half way through the motor threw a rod. Sure is dark in here.
Old 05-11-2019, 09:48 AM   #194
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Unusual for a guy to let you work for him. You'll learn about it too, which is even better.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #195
glatt

If I was an electrician, I would be happy to let homeowners help, but I would charge extra, not less.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote