Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 03-20-2020, 04:42 PM   #16
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
This threat was so obvious that I bought face masks back in the beginning of January.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
And you say you nabbed a few masks before health professionals could get them, knowing they were in short supply and knowing they would be needed?
TW, in all seriousness, if you still have those unopened masks the hospitals need them now. Badly. Many doctors and nurses are going into 12-hour shifts at the ER with literal scarves and bandannas across their faces because there are no masks to be had anywhere. Call your closest hospital and tell them you have some to donate; they will meet you at the door and be incredibly grateful. Do it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:51 PM   #17
Griff
still says videotape

Suddenly this thread lifted my mood.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:41 PM   #18
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
TW, in all seriousness, if you still have those unopened masks the hospitals need them now. Badly. Many doctors and nurses are going into 12-hour shifts at the ER with literal scarves and bandannas across their faces because there are no masks to be had anywhere. Call your closest hospital and tell them you have some to donate; they will meet you at the door and be incredibly grateful. Do it.
News story this afternoon highlighted a person from the local construction industry saying we have a lot of these masks that we use which are very similar to what they're using in the hospital, we're donating them.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:25 AM   #19
glatt

The construction style masks protect the wearer, but not others, because they have little rubber flap exhale valves.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 11:28 AM   #20
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
TW, in all seriousness, if you still have those unopened masks the hospitals need them now. Badly.
I only bought two. Leaving others on the shelf since the shortage was apparent even back in January.

Since I do the emergency maintenance work in a homeless shelter, I have kept them. Yes, I did consider a donation. It is only two. I figure (expect) I will need them. These are not the type that hospitals need.

Yes this and protective gear was needed over two months ago when the intelligence community told Trump on Jan 12 that it was coming and would be real bad. Trump denied it and subverted a necessary response until Mar 12. Despite claims that millions of test kits are available (he lies again), the industry knows these things are not sufficiently available and are desperately needed.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:12 PM   #21
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Backing off that "early January" I see

Gotta get that bullshit in order with the hard backtracking

Quote:
the intelligence community told Trump on Jan 12 that it was coming and would be real bad
For bullshit reference, here is what WHO told the entire world on January 14: no clear evidence of human to human transmission

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:36 PM   #22
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

^ although, looking into it, this was just an uncritical repeating of what the Chinese authorities said at that point in time.

No human to human transmission they claimed. Good lord.

"Lack of Chinese transparency causes global epidemic and worldwide financial crisis" should be the headline for 1Q20

Imagine if we had good data for the first month of this thing

And yet it will not be possible to change China

What a nightmare
Old 03-22-2020, 06:47 PM   #23
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I saw an interesting piece, backed up by good public data, showing that China's mobile carriers had lost 15 million users in total since December. On the one hand, it's quite likely that some of those were people who lost their jobs and couldn't afford their mobile contracts anymore. On the other hand, it makes a supposed total of only 3,261 deaths in China seem... questionable.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:22 PM   #24
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I think you gotta look at their normal buying and selling patterns before you judge them.

If they have been holding stock for 20 years and then sell immediately after the briefing, then yeah, sure. But if they are normally doing a lot of buying and selling, then I wouldn't hold it so much against them.
I'm not feeling terribly rational right now, truth be told.

Make 'em sneeze in the basket, pour encourager les autres.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:49 PM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You mean when our nation's leadership comes on the TV your breast doesn't swell with pride?
Mitch and Nancy don't inspire you to salute and thank the Lord for their guidance?
Don't you feel consolation that no matter what's going on in Washington, the state is screwing you worse?
Old 03-24-2020, 08:42 PM   #26
Griff
still says videotape

Old 04-02-2020, 02:31 PM   #27
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
I only bought two. Leaving others on the shelf since the shortage was apparent even back in January.
WARNING!!

Re-using disposable face masks will INCREASE your risk factor.

Source: The Lancet

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l.../fulltext#box1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lancet
Notably, improper use of face masks, such as not changing disposable masks, could jeopardise the protective effect and even increase the risk of infection.