The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 12-16-2012, 05:38 AM   #766
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

We're quite limited here.
I mean there are a number of restaurants and they do take-away, but the menus are all the same.
Having lived in Leicester I've experienced a far wider range of Indian cuisine and eaten with Indians/ Pakistanis or people of that heritage, so I know I've been eating authentic food.
The take-aways I can get in Aylesbury aren't completely tailored to English tastes, but they are tweaked, and it's pretty much all Punjabi.

Still, it's more authentic than Chinese take-away, which is nothing like what you get in China. Not here anyway - possibly different in other cities or other countries. I'm sure I've told the story of when my Hong Kong born colleague took me out for my birthday and we ordered from the Chinese menu. Now that was a culture shock. Taught me that "authentic" was over-valued, despite my use of the word here
Old 12-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #767
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Packet mix-wise I've been eating Simon Rimmer's meal range
I prefer Dave Lister's meal range, myself.

Not so sure I'd want him to cook for me, though.

Quote:
Captain Frank Hollister: For crying out loud, Rimmer!
Arnold Rimmer (alive): - the outcome of which was a proposal by the aforementioned Lister to the aforementioned Rimmer to cook him breakfast.
Captain Frank Hollister: Okay, I'm getting the picture.
Arnold Rimmer (alive): Breakfast comprised of two eggs, three rashers of bacon, a grilled tomato, two sausages, a small portion of fried potatoes... and a large quantity of _mushrooms_. Having consumed this repast, second technician Rimmer, Arnold J. experienced what can only be described as a voyage to trip-out city. To whit, a major hallucinogenic fit.
Captain Frank Hollister: Lister, is this true?
Lister: No, sir. I'm sure it was only one egg.
Arnold Rimmer (alive): The aforementioned Rimmer, to whit, me, then attended inspection parade. He was totally naked except for a pair of mock-leather driving gloves and some blue swimming goggles. Under the influence of this psychadelic breakfast he went on to attack two senior officers, believing them to be giraffes who were armed and dangerous.
Quote:
[Rimmer is drunk]
Rimmer: I want a triple fried egg sandwich with...
Lister: With chili sauce and chutney.
Holly: You what?
Lister: It's a state-of-the-art sarnie.
Holly: It's the state of the floor I'm worried about. All right, okay.
[the sarnie appears in Rimmer's hand]
Lister: Trust me.
[several conflicting emotions cross Rimmer's face]
Rimmer: I think I'm having a baby.
Lister: It's good, innit?
Rimmer: It's incredible. Where did you get the recipe?
Lister: I can't remember. I think it was a book on bacteriological warfare.
Rimmer: It's like a cross between food and bowel surgery.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 12-16-2012 at 08:56 AM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #768
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'll admit I smirked at the idea of eating Rimmer's meals.
I had a major crush on him when I was at school though... something about men and nostrils.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #769
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

I must be on a paprika kick, because I'm putting it on everything now.

A couple of nights ago, I made cod filets (cheaper than salmon, whew!) topped with butter, salt & pepper, and paprika. Baked them in a glass dish for 10 minutes, basted them, then baked for 5-10 minutes more. They were still frozen in the center while I was prepping them, so the melted butter would harden as I drizzled it on...it was weird. Used the leftover butter to steam some bok choy and julienned red bell pepper as a side.

The meal was a hit, but total butter overkill. Next time I'm using a mixture of butter and olive oil, instead of pure butter.

Last night was tuna casserole time. I used a basic recipe--mixed up cooked pasta (penne) with a large package of tuna, cream of chicken soup (can of condensed whisked with can of water), cup of shredded Cheddar, green beans and half a chopped onion. Sauteed the green beans and onion first in some olive oil and salt & pepper to soften them up. Topped the mixture with moar Cheddar, panko breadcrumbs, and PAPRIKA. Baked for 20 minutes, then broiled a few extra minutes for that browned crust.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #770
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I always forget about tuna casserole. Yours sounds fabuloso!, Blue!

Sent by thought transference
Old 12-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #771
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Naked juice. I'm trying a different route around treatment day this time, hoping to have fewer side effects. Keeping it very light with little in my system the day before, of, and after. We'll see. Things can only improve!
Old 12-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #772
busterb
NSABFD

Chicken gumbo
Old 12-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #773
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Cuisine Chinoise.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #774
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

frittata with corn and spinach and cheese.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #775
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Attempting chicken noodle soup for the first time in my life. It went in the slow cooker at 11 this morning and should be done around 5 pm. It's supposed to get down in to the 40s tonight (WHAT THE HECK, FLORIDA?!) so I wanted something to help keep warm!
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #776
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolatl View Post
Attempting chicken noodle soup for the first time in my life. It went in the slow cooker at 11 this morning and should be done around 5 pm. It's supposed to get down in to the 40s tonight (WHAT THE HECK, FLORIDA?!) so I wanted something to help keep warm!
You're in Florida! There must be hundreds of Jewish grandmothers who would love to give you tutorials on cooking chicken soup. AND they'd be happy to march right into that doc in a box and give that turd a dressing down.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #777
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecuracao View Post
If that equals about $20, then it's the same price here. I paid 7 bucks for 0.7 lbs. of sockeye salmon. Blegh.
Saw an advert in the paper today. Tesco are doing whole salmon half price.
Must remember to ask Mum to get some in. I'd love to make your recipe.

Nothing to eat again tonight.
I really should try
Haven't eaten since Monday which I know is very unhealthy.

Still - will be offered a breakfast pack on the coach, and have dinner at Bibis with the girls on Saturday night.
Even if I can only manage a starter.
OOH! Must take a take-away box just in case!!

ETA - snickering at the idea of an adopted Jewish Granny laying into a Dr on Choc's behalf.
I have no grandparents left now (not unusual at 40). Can I adopt one too? I'd like an American one.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #778
Chocolatl
Glutton for Gluttony

Can we start a Granny Exchange program? I'd like a British gran for a while.
Chocolatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #779
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
There must be hundreds of Jewish grandmothers who would love to give you tutorials on cooking chicken soup. AND they'd be happy to march right into that doc in a box and give that turd a dressing down.
A two-fer! I'd go for it, Choco. A British gran would be cuddly and make great scones but she wouldn't be as good at dressing down the docturd.

Alternatively you could try an Italian or Ukrainian baba - equally good at dressing down stupid people but the soup would be different.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #780
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
A two-fer! I'd go for it, Choco. A British gran would be cuddly and make great scones but she wouldn't be as good at dressing down the docturd.

Alternatively you could try an Italian or Ukrainian baba - equally good at dressing down stupid people but the soup would be different.