The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 05-05-2019, 10:31 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

State College, PA... jus' reminiscing

So every summer, from like about 1969 to about 1984, my mama would have a booth at the Arts Festival, and we would haul all her crafts up to State College and set up and sell her stuff for four long days in the hot sun.

After a while, we stayed with a family that also worked at the festival, and it was very cool. Every year, there would be this intense long weekend with this set of very cool friends... that I would never see, or talk to at any other time.

Because it was a college town, it had three different pinball arcades. They'd give you five balls per quarter, where every place I ever saw elsewhere, had eventually converted to three.

Three balls per quarter, people. What a rip-off.

As a kid, I would save up quarters for this annual State College weekend. When I wasn't needed at the booth, I would haul ass to those places and play for hours straight.

State College wasn't that far, only about two hours away from home; but to a little kid, in a VW Squareback packed with crafts and shit, trying to make it up and down the hills seemed like a crazy faraway adventure. There was this one hill climb that actually challenged the 1970-era car. Like one time, after making it to the top, the car could only manage to do 40 MPH for a good five minutes, until it somehow recovered.

The last Arts Fest I worked, I'm 19, and now the place has a whole different vibe to it. Aside from the fact that I had caught up in age to the college chicks. The arcades are still interesting, but now I realize there are three amazing independent record shops within that same area. I'd browse for two hours straight...
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:18 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

Pete used to work the arts festivals with her mom. It always amazed me that her mom could make a decent living at it even though some shows would be complete busts. I guess she learned to choose well and made a lot of contacts in the wholesale markets. She made a lot of friends doing those shows. Pete says they did that State College one bitd. Thanks for the look behind the curtain. We need a link to your mom's art thread here.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:28 AM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes, a link for Keeper and one for Mompete too.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:02 AM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Mom is here
Old 05-06-2019, 01:24 PM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
They'd give you five balls per quarter...
Whaa--five?!?!Name:  willy_nilly.gif
Views: 205
Size:  1.8 KB

This was a nice ride in the wayback machine, Toad.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:55 PM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Question is, are there still any pinballs out there and are they still a quarter at all.

Last time I think I played was at a Wildwood, NJ arcade... maybe 10 years ago

As a kid, I was pretty sure I'd have my own pinball machine by now

I believe, as an 11 year old, I regarded it as the highest achievement, to have a machine of your own you didn't have to feed quarters
Old 05-06-2019, 02:00 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

The local sports bar has a pinball machine, at least it did the last time I was in there, I don't go to that bar much.

50 cents for three balls, greedy bastards.

It was/is a genuine Bally, but I can't remember what the theme was. I've wanted the KISS machine since the first time I saw it.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:22 PM   #8
glatt

Last week, I saw The Who's Tommy at the Kennedy center. Fun musical, for the most part.

My son was there too, and I had to feel a little sorry for him because I'm not sure he has ever played pinball. So much of that musical is about pinball.

The kid they had playing Tommy did a pretty good job pretending to play pinball on the stage prop they had up there. They must have found a real machine for him to practice on.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:39 PM   #9
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

There is a place here called Pinballz that has basically every classic machine ever--245 total in the collection, with 30-100 operational and on the floor at any given time.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:56 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Once there is information for Mompete, I will check if Katkeeper knows her.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:00 PM   #11
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Does the Arts Festival still exist? When? In the stadium parking lot?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:17 PM   #12
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

There are a at least two bars/arcades that have a dozen machines or more, plus the ones at the game shop.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:01 PM   #13
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

There will always be a State College Arts Festival! It will always be on College Ave. and a few blocks surrounding.

And a Three Rivers Arts Festival - no arcades at that one, just a dangerous city... and musicians that were stunning

And a Rhinebeck festival and here's one in Baltimore and here's one in Frederick MD and ... and ...
Old 05-06-2019, 11:40 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Nice site, she must know somebody with IT skills.
Of course it's appropriate to have a site shadowing the quality of her work which is first class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
There is a place here called Pinballz that has basically every classic machine ever--245 total in the collection, with 30-100 operational and on the floor at any given time.
There's a Museum out near Pittsburgh and here a place called Barcade in Fishtown that's supposed to have some pinball along with the arcade games.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:10 AM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Once there is information for Mompete, I will check if Katkeeper knows her.
http://www.janpetersondesigns.com/

She was doing trapunto back then.