Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #1
chrisinhouston
Professor

Who uses maps anymore?

I took 4 of my grandkids to Galveston again this week and on the way home my 12 year old granddaughter was sitting in the front passenger seat talking to me. The other 3 had fallen asleep from all the fun and fresh air. Kirstyn got bored and asked if she could clean and organize the glove box. I said that was fine and she started pulling out stuff and asking me if she should save it or not. I told her the owner's manual, insurance and inspection papers and any car repair receipts should be saved. She pulled out a map and asked what it was. "It's a road map" I said, "looks like Lousiana." She pulled out another, it was a map of North Carolina and then she found one for Texas. "What are they?" she asked again. "MAPS!" I said, "like for when you get off the main road and want to know where to go to get home or where you were headed."

"Why wouldn't you just use your phone?" was her response. I chuckled to myself and almost didn't offer an answer. I figured it had been a few years since I had even looked at those maps, most were pretty dog eared and worn. "Well, if you were in an area with bad cell service you couldn't use the phone." To which she replied, "what about your GPS? Doesn't it work off of satellites?"I had no answer. I think next time I wash and vacuum the car I will just pitch those maps. They were probably the free ones they used to give out at the state line welcome stations.

So, do any Cellar dwellers still use old fashioned paper road maps?
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote