The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 05-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #841
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Where the fucking fuck are my corono bypass pruners?
Old 05-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #842
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

The ones you lent to the neighbor last year?
Old 05-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #843
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Took Carrotchops for a mostly routine vet visit today. Was going to have to anyway for monthly worming (has to be weighed each time on account of speedy growth ;p)but as it goes, he's had a bad tum for last few days and yesterday it was proper bad.

So, anticipated I'd probably have to starve him and then do bland food for a day. That's about all i was anticipating though.

Anyways. He had his temp taken, and that is a little elevated. So, he's had some anti-biotics. Whilst checking him she noticed an irregularity in his heartbeat. She listened three or four times across the visit. First couple of times he was intermittently dropping a beat, then after that it sounded normal.

Ended up with him having an ECG. Which again showed a spell of normal heart beat then a couple of places where the beat dropped.

Now have to wait to hear from the cardiologist.

It is, she said, most likely nothing. Since he hasn't displayed any other symptoms (no faintng fits for instance - not nice when the vet asks if your puppy has had any fainting fits). It's possible it was the stress of the visit. This was the first time he'd acted afraid in the waiting room. Or, it could be the temperature, which itself may either be a bug or teething trouble. The bad stomach could also be either teething related or a bug. And the couple of days of dire rears may have dropped his potassium levels, which can make the heart do funny things apparently.

It was also not either of our regular vets. I think this one is a bit of a stickler for protocol. See something irregular, do a test. I suspect neither of our regular vets would have considered it necessary unless there was still something there after the bug/bad tum's been sorted.

I have since wondered if, when I spilled some coffee granules earlier, and he was trying to grab the cloth whilst I was cleaning up, he may have hoovered up a few granules...caffeine can dangerously increase a puppy's heartbeat, even in small quantities.

Anyway...poor baba is being starved apart from an ikkle scoop of food to carry his tablets. And he had the indignity of a thermometer up his bottom. And then the vet took him away from me and into a different room to do the ECG. I heard him crying at one point. Thought they'd hurt him. Turns out having made not a peep with the needle (blood test) or the ecg pads being attached, he freaked the fuck out when they sprayed a little white spirits onto the contact points.

So...most likely nowt. But I have that niggly worm of worry that won't entirely go away.

Routine vet trip suddenly ended up costing £160. Fortunately £100 of that should be covered by the insurance.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #844
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I had to take Cleo to the vet yesterday. We came outside in the morning and she was drooling all over the place and teeth were chattering etc. I thought maybe either snake/spider bite having seen the same symptoms in Sheeba quite a few years ago; or possibly she'd been playing with a cane toad.

Anyway, took her to the vet, he thought cane toad and put her in the hydrobath to clean out her mouth and fill her stomach - the intention is to make them vomit and get the poison out - but while we were doing this, he noticed a bone wedged between her very back teeth. Uh-oh! So out came the pliers, and out came the bone! Result. A happy dog.

She had a temp though, and the vet said sometimes the stress of something like that can cause a temp, so maybe the same thing with Carrot.

Also, our old dog Sheeba had a 'galloped heartbeat' which was very similar to what you've described in Carrot, and she lived to the ripe old age of 13, which is pretty old for a big dog. Actually, she was classed as a giant breed because of the dane in her, so even more impressive.

So, after that long winded story, I just wanted to say, "it's probably nothing."
Old 05-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #845
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Good wishes out to baby Carrot.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #846
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Goddamn laptop has suddenly started experiencing severe failure symptoms, and the extended warranty expired five damn days ago. I don't want to buy a new machine, and I really don't want to use Windows 7. Dammit.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #847
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I tripped over the cleaning lady's vacuum cord, that was stretched out across the aisle way. I hit the cement floor with a layer of thin carpet hard with my left wrist and my right knee.

I'm sore but I'm old. (I feel drunk but I'm sober. I'm sane but I'm overwhelmed. I've got one hand in my pocket and the other one is beat to shreds. Sorry Alanis.) My knee is giving out if I'm not careful. I wish it would have broken in two.

I should be put to pasture. I'll live with the cows. They would be nice to me. Anything. Anything but this life. Truly.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:28 AM   #848
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Sue them.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:19 AM   #849
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Worker's Comp! This is your chance!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:25 AM   #850
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I can see the emotional trauma from here!
Old 05-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #851
infinite monkey

Heh. No, I'm the klutz. And I'm sore but ok.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #852
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Uh, no. Infi, "the cleaning lady's vacuum cord, that was stretched out across the aisle way". Was there a warning sign up?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #853
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

They're right IM. That is why they carry insurance. Take care of YOU!!!!
Old 05-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #854
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
I tripped over the cleaning lady's vacuum cord, that was stretched out across the aisle way. I hit the cement floor with a layer of thin carpet hard with my left wrist and my right knee.

I'm sore but I'm old. (I feel drunk but I'm sober. I'm sane but I'm overwhelmed. I've got one hand in my pocket and the other one is beat to shreds. Sorry Alanis.) My knee is giving out if I'm not careful. I wish it would have broken in two.

I should be put to pasture. I'll live with the cows. They would be nice to me. Anything. Anything but this life. Truly.
At least get checked out now, at their expense. Just in case something pops up later, caused by this.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #855
infinite monkey

I saw the cord, tried to step over, felt my toe catch, and must have panicked (sp?) And went down like a rock. It simultaneously happened so fast and was in slow mo. No witnesses, it was before work (and don't want to be late ya know!)

I filed the report with campus police though. He took a pic of my shoes! I'm no shoe girl (anymore) so they can't blame my fashion sense. I think the report will be enough if something did come up but I'm really ok. I took the day off to rest all my sore parts and that is even stressful because I have so much work to do. But they've told me I need to take care of myself and take some of my vac time so I guess this day is in the realm of taking care.