The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 07-22-2017, 05:54 PM   #1
UCB4U
ICUB4

FYI the Veterans in the Cellar ...

Starting November 11th, honorably discharged vets will be able to shop tax free online at the Army & Air Force Exchange Service like they did at the PX/BX when on active duty. You have to register for eligibility.

Article: http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireS...-free-48757755

Register: https://www.vetverify.org/form.xhtml

Shop: www.shopmyexchange.com

It's much like when United Services Automobile Association (USAA), which at one time provided auto insurance to only active duty service members and their families, opened their doors to veterans.
UCB4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:17 PM   #2
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Well ... welcome back!?!?!
Old 07-22-2017, 09:20 PM   #3
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:06 PM   #4
UCB4U
ICUB4

Well, I received an AAFES email saying that I was randomly selected to beta test their service. I was able to register, create an account, and can make purchases there immediately rather than waiting until the general opening date on November 11th. I perused the website and checked some prices. It looks promising. Free shipping on orders $49 or more: flat fee of $4.95 on anything less.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:37 AM   #5
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I, too, have been randomly selected by my employer to use our product on many occasions.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:24 PM   #6
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

The only thing I've been randomly selected for is urine tests.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:52 PM   #7
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

So, I placed an order for some new socks (Fox River Military Wick Dry Maximum Mid-Calf Boot Socks, large, black). I ordered enough to get free shipping and there's no sales tax at the PX. Total cost $8.50/pr. Between eBay and Amazon, the best price I found was a seller on Amazon for a total cost of $10.61/pr. In a general search, Walmart got my hopes up at $5.26/pr.; but, it turned out to be only a clearance of 1 last pair and in beige.

My online PX purchase turned out to cost me about 20% less than the commercial market (without becoming fanatical about shopping) which is nothing to sneeze at. That's what I remember it being like shopping at the PX when I was on active duty.

They don't have a big selection because they cater mostly to lower ranking officers and lower to mid-grade enlisted personnel and their families. It's not the place to look for expensive top-of-the-line stuff. They have mostly middle-of-the-road, biggest bang for the buck type items and trendy popular items. If they happen to have what you want; however, there's some good buys to be had.

I filled out their website survey to provide feedback on what I thought about it as a beta version participant. I found the website to be user friendly enough. The survey even let me opt out of marketing data mining personal questions; so, I have no complaints about that either. So far, so good.

ETA: I was using my sockpuppet, which when this thread was started the Cellar tagline said was my unalienable right, but I've stopped since it seems to have confused rather than amused people.

Last edited by sexobon; 08-04-2017 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Kindness
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:47 PM   #8
UCB4U
ICUB4

Amazon is offering an Amazon Prime $40 discount to vets from 06 - 11 November (Veterans Day). That brings the membership fee down from $119 to $79. You can get a new membership; or, extend your existing membership for a year. Their online validation process for veteran status looks to be simple enough and worthwhile doing for the savings amount if you use Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=201259..._tips_veterans
Old 11-10-2019, 06:44 PM   #9
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Amazon tricked me into Prime and became petty and insulting when I told them so and withdrew.
They didn't get my 119 and won't get my 79.
I'll buy through them but only when it is super cheap or extra convenient.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:11 PM   #10
UCB4U
ICUB4

I don't have Prime either; but, it works for some and the discount was worth mentioning.

Have a good Veterans Day!
Old 11-10-2019, 10:54 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yes definitely worth mentioning for those who use it and can take advantage of the break. Thank you.

I don't bother with prime because I'm never in a hurry. If I have to wait for parts and stuff it's a great excuse for not doing what I should be doing.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
because I'm never in a hurry. If I have to wait for parts and stuff it's a great excuse for not doing what I should be doing.
I don't order stuff. I don't even buy green bananas anymore.

I need to get my stuff while I'm still alive.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The difference between the next day, two days, or 5/6 days, doesn't matter to me in most cases.
I buy ripe bananas and green bananas to throw in the fridge for later.
This is my 4th beard and on December 31st this one will be 50 years old.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #14
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
This is my 4th beard and on December 31st this one will be 50 years old.
There must have been a significant event when you stopped shaving for you to remember that.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:22 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, New Years Eve 1969... and the times they are a changing.
Lead in to a crazy year, changed cars, changed vices, changed music choices, changed jobs, changed residences, changed marital status, changed roommates, and occasionally changed my clothes.