The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-24-2002, 05:12 PM   #1
warch
lurkin old school

Finger length

Ok, When did I miss this? I just saw something about the length of your ring finger and the connection to the amount of testosterone your little fetus-self was floating around in. Men tend to have ring fingers longer than index fingers, and women the opposite. Mine are about equal...I think...I must have been floating in half and half. What does that mean? What does that tell? Nature? Nurture?

Scientists are considering finger length and the relative testosterone exposure to work as possible indicators of not only fertility, but athletic prowess, musical talent, autism, heart attack, sexual preference, and more. Its pretty cool I think.finger study
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 05:28 PM   #2
Tobiasly
hot

My middle finger is ten inches. Limp.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 06:01 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Did someone give you the finger, or can I be the first?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 06:22 PM   #4
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

It was a recent show on Discovery channel or some such....the factoid claims that the ratio of the length of ring finger to index finger relates to fetal testosterone levels.

The ratio is fairly reliable. I was more interested to see the woman with androgen insensitivity sytndrome. She struck me as being physically very similar in appearance to many male-to-female transsexuals in having a large frame, tall, with large hands. Her voice, however, was distinctly feminin in pitch as well as in modulation.

Genotypically, she is XY, and thus by many standards "male". But while she has no uterus, for my money she's female.

Gwen just got done relating to me a story of a USAF fighter pilot who was genotyped and discovered to be XX; theorhetically female. He found it difficult to deal with when he was forced to retire from combat status (and indeed from the USAF) as a woman, despite having fathered several children.

Also interesting was the segment on a female-to-male transsexual starting his hormone therapy; we see him before and a few months into the therapy. Testing at HUP, including brain scans and psychological testing showed dramatic shifts in mental function after only a few months of testosterone therapy.

He remeinded me very much of a lover I had once....slept with him when he was a woman, and now he's way-deep into testosterone treatments. Very mind-bending.

<i>edit: Typos repaired</i>

Last edited by MaggieL; 07-24-2002 at 09:30 PM.
MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 06:59 PM   #5
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL
Gwen just got done relating to me a story of a USAF fighter pilot who was genotyped and discovered to be XX; theoreticallly female. He found it difficult to deal with when he was forced to retire from combat status (and indeed from the USAF) as a woman, despite having fathered several children.

I can believe this given the mindset of military brass and doctors.

Also interesting was the segment on a female-to-male transsexual starting his hormone therapy; we see him before and a few moths into the therapy. Testing at HUP, including bran scans and psychological testing showed dramatic shifts in mental function after only a few months of testosterone therapy.
Started thinking between his legs did he?

Brian
Old 07-25-2002, 06:26 AM   #6
Griff
still says videotape

Somebody was telling my wife this at work a couple weeks back. It turns out I'm a fag and she's a man.... Still, we are compatible.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:02 AM   #7
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieL

Gwen just got done relating to me a story of a USAF fighter pilot who was genotyped and discovered to be XX; theorhetically female. He found it difficult to deal with when he was forced to retire from combat status (and indeed from the USAF) as a woman, despite having fathered several children.
Yow! What was the Air Force smoking? I can understand why sporting organizations and such reject XY women, but I don't see any reason the Air Force should accept genotypes over phenotypes.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 12:43 PM   #8
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

Quote:
Originally posted by russotto

Yow! What was the Air Force smoking? I can understand why sporting organizations and such reject XY women, but I don't see any reason the Air Force should accept genotypes over phenotypes.
In general, the military runs away screaming from any form of gender ambiguity. I'd attribute it to 50% homophobia, 50% fear of having to pay for expensive medical care

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:16 AM   #9
kleinshelley
Provocateur

the fact that someone can live their entire life as a man but be genetically woman is scary. what a horrific surprise to be thrown on a person from their doctor
kleinshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:06 AM   #10
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Interesting. I just checked my son's fingers... ring finger is definitely much longer than his index finger. But I wonder how accurate it is in infants? For the record, mine are pretty much dead-on equal.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:09 AM   #11
ashke
Don't look at me!

My ring finger is just slightly longer than my index finger. Hmmm...

(I'm female, btw)
ashke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:11 PM   #12
9th Engineer
Bioengineer and aspiring lawer

Interesting, my ring finger is about half a knuckle longer than my index. As for the genotype vs sex organ debate on sex (it tends to boil down to "well I have a penis, how can I be a woman??") I would say that the chromosomes tell all. Physical appearence and the development of the sex organs is completely hormonally based so I'd be really supprised if this wasn't already medically classified as a hormonal defect. As to whether the person wants to call themselves a guy or girl that's just personal preference, I could see different people going in opposite directions on that one.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:52 PM   #13
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

troll-bait.......
Old 09-17-2006, 08:27 PM   #14
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

Chimeras?

My ring fingers are about a 1/4" longer than my index. I am female.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:34 PM   #15
monster
I hear them call the tide

Hmmm.

Apparently I'm a girl. And my other half is a bloke. This is good news -I think- because I am the mother of our children and he is the father. But other than that, we defy most sexual stereotypes. I have short hair, he has long. He is the gentle parent, I am the one he threatens them with "wait 'til your mother comes upstairs".

But I fail to see how anyone could decide that someone is a woman based on their genes if they have fathered children. That is plain nuts.