The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 02-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Armpit wigs

this amused me greatly.

It's a charity thing in the UK. I will be donating because it made me laugh and extra because I shared it, and I hope to share many more comic relief vids. If it amused you, please also consider donating, but it's not mandatory.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:00 AM   #2
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Who was it apart from Jordan?
I thought I saw Dick & Dom but the silly swoopy camera work made it hard to tell.
We always ended up shouting at the TV when dance acts were on Britain's Got Talent. NO! We don't want to see the audience! No, we don't want the view from the back of the house! We want to see it the way it was designed to be seen - from a good seat!

Thanks for the heads up anyway - I think she was brilliant.
I have my red nose all ready.

ETA - I didn't realise it was from Let's Dance. Blimey that seems to have come round quick!
Just from the article I see Noel Fielding will be on it? OMG. And the I'm I Celeb team. Colin & Justin and Ade Edmondson... I am getting excited by this.
I'll have to watch it on the Beeb website. Will report back when I've seen the first episode. I know who goes through now, but that's hardly a spoiler.

Can anyone ever match Robert Webb though?
Not sure if this will be accessible worldwide, if not try "Robert Webb Flashdance" in YouTube - you might find something that works.

Last edited by Sundae; 02-20-2011 at 06:11 AM. Reason: see post
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:23 AM   #3
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

lol

Thanks for that Sundae. How awesome is the Webb?
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:54 AM   #4
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Just watching Russell Kane as Beyonce.
He might edge out Webb! I mean it. Might be awesomer...
Danced better than La Price, despite her priceless performance.

Colin & Justin had so much fun, sad they didn't go through.
Colin was by far the better dancer. Not sure why it was Justin that dragged up - he's so pretty. Or perhaps that was the point

Last edited by Sundae; 02-20-2011 at 08:10 AM. Reason: typo
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:01 AM   #5
DanaC

Kane as Beyonce? K. That I must see.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:06 AM   #6
DanaC

Oh man. He was awesome!

Just realised. That's BBC clip, so might not be available outside uk.

Will try find one that isn't BBC.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

The judges are Graham Norton, Frank Skinner and Greg Davies.
BIG Greg, you know, the one who is 6' 8", not easily confused with Andy Hamilton, who is 5' 3".
I mean, why even bring that up?
Yes, well...

What?! They both appear on the same shows!
Luckily it was in a conversation with my bro and he's had a while to get used to it.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

How uniquely British.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Pants!
Lost a bloody reply.

Just acknowledging that the performers and judges might not be known worldwide, but American comedians do charity skits. So apart from the people involved, not such a unique format. I see clips of them and have no idea who they are

And the next link was to this. I see a Kardshian and a Golden Girl bracketing this, but have no idea if the people in the middle are supposed to be known to me. I get that every clip is a response to the one before it, but I don't know if these should be familiar faces. As far as I remember the one last year used David Beckham and Arnie. Don't know if there were any other names in that either.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
Just acknowledging that the performers and judges might not be known worldwide, but American comedians do charity skits. So apart from the people involved, not such a unique format. I see clips of them and have no idea who they are
Comic Relief was started in America, but I can't remember the last time they did the big benefit thing ... our humor tends to be more of the sketch or stand-up varieties (and sometimes isn't terribly funny, as in Bobcat Goldthwait in the shower at Comic Relief I or II (which is so awful I can't find it on YouTube) or Roseanne Barr in general), but you typically don't see drag lip-lipsynching outside of a gay bar.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 02-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

According to Wiki, Comic Relief was devised in 1985 by Richard Curtis during Live Aid. That fits with what I know too - various British comedic luminaries (Ben Elton, Stephen Fry et all) were present at the party and about its conception. The first broadcast was from a refugee camp in the Sudan.

The first Red Nose Day UK was in 1988 and I clearly remember it. The noses in those days were hard plastic and really chafed! The ones this year were really not made for 4-5 year olds and we've had a lot of tears as they've fallen off and got lost or split from the attempts to make them fit. Not much you can do - the teeny-tinies have such small noses comared to adults. Perhaps they should sell two sizes? But that would up production costs...

I did once make a suggestion that cross dressing was more an English thing than an American, but was reminded how much the Pythons were adored in the US. Perhaps it's a funny-by-furriners thing.

I admit Comic Relief here can be hit & miss. It's shackled by the terrible need to be funny for everyone. Nothing can be funny to everyone. Usually I prefer Children in Need (UK charities only so no HateMail readers get to spew vitriol) and no specific need to be funny. And they get the West End hits to come in after their final performance, which is a free preview for the rest of us and also a nice teary opportunity after the pub because they're giving up their time - uncredited and unpaid - after a full show..

But Comic Relief is more cool. I think.
As the amount of comics - good ones - already in Let's Dance shows.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #12
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Added words, after realising my mistake.
You weren't saying that Comic Relief was an American initiative, you were posting about when it happened in America.

Original post:

According to Wiki, Comic Relief was devised in 1985 by Richard Curtis during Live Aid. That fits with what I know too - various British comedic luminaries (Ben Elton, Stephen Fry et all) were present at the party and about its conception. The first broadcast was from a refugee camp in the Sudan.

The first Red Nose Day UK was in 1988 and I clearly remember it. The noses in those days were hard plastic and really chafed! The ones this year were really not made for 4-5 year olds and we've had a lot of tears as they've fallen off and got lost or split from the attempts to make them fit. Not much you can do - the teeny-tinies have such small noses comared to adults. Perhaps they should sell two sizes? But that would up production costs...

I did once make a suggestion that cross dressing was more an English thing than an American, but was reminded how much the Pythons were adored in the US. Perhaps it's a funny-by-furriners thing.

I admit Comic Relief here can be hit & miss. It's shackled by the terrible need to be funny for everyone. Nothing can be funny to everyone. Usually I prefer Children in Need (UK charities only so no HateMail readers get to spew vitriol) and no specific need to be funny. And they get the West End hits to come in after their final performance, which is a free preview for the rest of us and also a nice teary opportunity after the pub because they're giving up their time - uncredited and unpaid - after a full show..

But Comic Relief is more cool. I think.
As the amount of comics - good ones - already in Let's Dance shows.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Waitaminute ... are you telling me that Comic Relief is originally British? Next thing you know you'll be insisting that All in the Family, Sanford and Son, and Hugh Laurie were all Originally British too!

Old 02-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #14
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Hugh Laurie is definitely from Idaho, as previously discussed.
Reading Stephen Fry's autobiography confirms it.

Can't say about the others.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #15
monster
I hear them call the tide

English Muffins aren't English. You can have that one....