The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-01-2003, 05:51 PM   #1
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Was anybody else surprised???

when the New Year didn't start with NYC being blown up?

I was kind of holding out hope that they'd at least get the Mummers today ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 06:17 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quite frankly, I'm disappointed...nothing happened. They always build things up, just to let me down.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 06:58 PM   #3
Saddam Hussein
The CIA faked my death

Re: Was anybody else surprised???

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
when the New Year didn't start with NYC being blown up?
I was surprised. Good help is very difficult to find nowdays. Especially in Iraq.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:03 AM   #4
alter_eg0
Recruit or Something

I wasn't.

9-11 was the biggest "sucker-punch" since Pearl Harbor. The US has it's guard up.
alter_eg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 12:37 PM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I honestly don't think our guard is that good ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 12:48 PM   #6
juju
no one of consequence

Hey, I'm just glad the media machine has found something else to hype. I mean, if it weren't for Al-Qaeda, I might still be listening to the Clinton or OJ scandal. Thank God I have something to fear and be up in arms about. It is good for ratings, after all.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 06:14 PM   #7
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

I was kind of worried when the Soviet Union disbanded, and Nelson Mandela was elected president. There was no one to fear anymore. In that kind of evnvironment, enemies start appearing where there weren't any before.

We need an enemy who's not really an enemy. Check out Barbarosa for the general idea. Old outlaw Barbarosa--Willie Nelson(!)-- hooks up with punk Gary Busey. Everyone knows Brabarosa is a villian, even though he was old when flowering plants appeared. The villagers nail Barbarosa, and then go into a funk because there's no one to fear. Busey shows up and shoots someone's hat off, and there's about 5 seconds where everyone stares, and then they start yelling "Barbarosa!" and chase after him. They're all overjoyed and angry as they take off after him.
Uryoces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 01:02 AM   #8
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Michael Moore makes the relevant point. Go from Detroit to Windsor. Suddenly no more fear. People don't even lock their doors! We have so much fear that our security system go perserk over five mythical Arabs who cross from Canada into NY - maybe to blow up Time Square. Our security system is so hyped in fear that they even bought this lie: hook, line, sinker, and the worm who created the whole fictional story.

Security had everything they needed even to avoid the WTC disaster. We know, thanks to numerous whistle blowers, that three separate FBI investigations in AZ, MN, and now IL were all on the trail of the WTC attackers. We also know, in each case, that Justice Department top management quashed all investigations. Now these same Justice Department people are still there - still promoting more fear.

Those five Arabs were fiction created by a Canadian prisoner who was trying to promote a deal. Since the current administration has everything to fear including fear itself, then they promote nonsense - how many times? - about another unsubstantiated terrorist attack - often to divert attention from another White House fubar.

Whistle blowers are routinely attacked and destroyed. Apparently there are so many fubars that three of the many potential whistle blowers were willing to go public. If three went public, then how many other potentail whistle blowers are there - 10? 50? 1000?

Our security is so bad that even the FBI crime lab was faking data. Did a Federal NY judge throw out fingerprint evidence because even it too is based upon the questionable science?

One terrorist was so incompetent that he could not even light matches - to give himself a hot foot. News services once routinely subverted airport security to demonstrate security did not exist. What was the FAA response? They got the (then) Republican dominated Congress to pass laws making it illegal for news reporters to test security. That made airport security better? Yes, if you are Congressman who is now guaranteed to have two sky marshalls on his airplane out of and back into National Airport.

Our guard is only good when Congressman fly. But then terrrorist are not that good either. Instead of fixing our guard, the current administration promotes more fear - and a bigger bureacracy - Office of Fatherland Security. I am long since tired of so many fictious terrorist warnings from a government that will not fix the problem - top Justice Department management. Instead they just promote more fear.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 08:23 AM   #9
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
You know, I was struck by this back in October I wanted to see the "Quest for Immortality" exhibit of ancient Egyptian stuff at the National Gallery. I hopped on the train (from Philadelphia), went down to DC, went over to the National Gallery, and spent some time at the exhibit. I had a little time left over, so I went to the Air & Space Museum for about an hour before I got back on the train to come home.

At the National Gallery, they were doing hand inspections of all bags, and anything larger than a small purse had to be checked. At the Air & Space Museum, they were running bags through xray machines. But guess what? No security whatsoever on either train or at either train station.

I know this is America so nobody really cares about the trains, but jeez, while everybody is getting paranoid about air travel, some terrorist is going to decide that the rail system is low-hanging fruit. (Oh, yeah, of course you could say the same about interstate highwas or shopping malls. And I've got to think a mall is an attractive target to somebody who's looking to make a statement about American capitalism.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 08:42 AM   #10
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

<h4>TW</h4>

I read your previous post and only winced once, the Michael Moore reference. That's not bad for 7 paragraphs

We seem to agree on the national security/bogus terror alert issue. Don't tell anyone though, it'll ruin both of our extremist reputations.

Ooh, and maybe you'd be interested in signing my petition to have John removed from his current postition. You can sign right under O'Reilly's sig.

<h4>SteveDallas</h4> (am I losing my mind here?)

Never underestimate the government's ability to over scrutinize the little details, while completely ignoring the huge glaringly obvious ones.

Up until recently a passenger on a commercial flight couldnt even have nailclippers, not a real threat, IMO. They'll leave the borders open through the entire perimeter though, and if they catch illegals (yes I said illegals not undocumenteds) they'll insist on letting them stay, IE Malvo.

Who's on first?

Last edited by slang; 01-09-2003 at 09:32 AM.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 01:37 AM   #11
Torrere
a real smartass

The political spectrum is not a line, it's a circle.

The extremists are closest to each other and farthest from the moderates,
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 10:10 AM   #12
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by Torrere
The political spectrum is not a line, it's a circle.

The extremists are closest to each other and farthest from the moderates,
It's neither a line nor a circle, it's a black hole. No matter where you are, you get sucked towards totalitarianism.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote