The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 02-12-2015, 07:21 AM   #196
glatt

Ask Jennifer Lawrence what she thinks of Apple sharing her stuff.

I like my iPhone, but I'm down on Apple overall. I dunno what happened in your case, because I've never done family sharing, but I'd be much more inclined to assign blame to Apple than to your husband.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:30 AM   #197
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

were you added to the account as a child? (a child in the apple context, they've greatly restricted permissions)
Old 02-12-2015, 06:44 PM   #198
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

It looks like my husband was Administrator, but I don't think I was added as a child. Just a member of the Family Sharing group.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #199
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Usually in the case of administrator type accounts the default assumption by Apple or your OS is that whenever ANYTHING happens it is nefarious.

My take on this is that your DH may be a controlling manipulative a**hole.
Or not. YMMV.

The only reason I didn't give my wife admin privileges on our shared computer was that she and I both knew she had no idea what she was doing and would completely fuck everything up given half a chance. Her mother was completely banned from using anything but the severely restricted guest account with her virus infested aol email account...

:shudder: glad those days are gone.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:44 PM   #200
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

I have solved it by removing myself from Family Sharing. I now have my Apple account back. So I don't get access to my husband's and daughter's music ... no matter.

The weirdness included the fact that with Family Sharing, my husband's credit card was the only possible method of payment for music - so every purchase I might make would go on his card and show up to him. They should call it Family Control, or Family No-Privacy. Now that I have my own unshared account back, it's my credit card and password. Every $1.29 purchase I make will not be subject to my husband's scrutiny.

He did notice right away, and I just said I'm not doing the Family Sharing thing anymore. He didn't argue. Maybe I had a certain edge to my voice.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:39 AM   #201
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Or the sparkle on your fangs.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:35 PM   #202
glatt

I have a distant elderly cousin who lives two blocks from me. I see him every few years when my parents visit and we all trudge over there for a visit.

He's 75, lives alone, has no siblings, and was just diagnosed with moderate Alzheimer's. My aunt in Binghamton just asked me to go over there at 3 today to convince him to move into assisted living and talk to him about simplifying his finances and help him with his taxes. Ugh.

Dude 's basically a stranger to me.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:04 PM   #203
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

glatt replies to Binghamton;
Aunt who? Are we related? Which family? Sorry, you have the wrong party.

Or

Griff isn't far from Binghamton. Ask him to go to the Aunt's house and convince her to empty her bank accounts and leave the money in a brown paper bag on Funk & Wagnall's porch.

Jesus glatt, that's the most fucked up thing I've heard in awhile.
It reminds me why I developed the policy of family don't mean shit. Being a relative gives them an opportunity to show they're a friend, but they're never automatically a friend, just because they're a relative.

At two blocks, if either of you wanted a relationship you'd have one. The only difference between her sending you, or a DC cab driver, is you may not have to show an ID... may. Now if he's not on the porch yelling for you to get off the lawn, he may let you in. Wait a minute while the HOs put a robe on, as he checks the still down cellar is venting properly so the place don't stink, and the crack isn't boiling out any explosive fumes, and...

Hmm, I'd go with, "Aunt who?"
Old 02-21-2015, 02:53 PM   #204
anonymous
Operations Operative

wholly crap!

I was at that person's house the other day and opened chrome on that person's PC and saw my familiar, although older, bookmarks bar at the top. WTF? Signed in on that person's account, not mine, I see all my bookmarks are there. ALL MY BOOKMARKS. Even my special one handed typing practice websites are there in their folder. I check and see that ALL MY SAVED PASSWORDS ARE THERE. What the actual fucking fuck? All my email accounts and their passwords. I can only hope that that person is too computer impaired to know how to access settings or bookmarks mgr.

I'm thinking if must have been on that person's la[top from the old days and when she got her new puter the service guy just migrated everything over.

I deleted everything, and now I've got to change all my other mail passwords.

Damn.
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:18 PM   #205
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Be grateful you found this. She may be PC stupid, but they're the ones who pass old equipment on without cleaning, in this case cleaning your info. Very grateful.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:57 PM   #206
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I have a distant elderly cousin who lives two blocks from me. I see him every few years when my parents visit and we all trudge over there for a visit.

He's 75, lives alone, has no siblings, and was just diagnosed with moderate Alzheimer's. My aunt in Binghamton just asked me to go over there at 3 today to convince him to move into assisted living and talk to him about simplifying his finances and help him with his taxes. Ugh.

Dude 's basically a stranger to me.
want me to deliver a flaming bag o' dog shit?
Old 02-24-2015, 11:02 AM   #207
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

See, now, if anything could be properly delivered by drone, it should be the flaming bag of dogshit bomb.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:42 AM   #208
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Griff has many options for delivering things, he's on a first name basis with every critter in the woods for miles around, who call him Don Griff, the spiritualforcefather.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:45 AM   #209
glatt

So I went over there, and spent almost 2 hours with him, digging through his papers because I agreed to do his taxes. He is fairly disorganized, but I don't think that's from the Alzheimers. I think that's just the way he is. And he had (I believe) all the papers he needed. I got his 2012 and 2013 filings so I could see how he had done it in the past and I could make sure I wasn't missing anything. His 2012 taxes were fairly neat, in their own big envelope. But his 2013 taxes were just in a box amongst a bunch of other clutter.

His 2014 tax documents were just in a jumble of papers on his couch. The couch was his important papers repository and included a bunch of correspondence with the DMV about his car being ticketed over a mechanical problem or something, and him somehow losing his license over it because he refused to sign some document. But he apparently got his license back after jumping through lots of hoops. So he's still able to jump through hoops.

He was pretty coherent and sharp the entire time I was with him for 2 hours, but a couple of times he was trying to say things and his mouth couldn't form the words. When I asked him about it, he said he knew what he wanted to say, but it just wouldn't come out.

He was clean and looked like a typical 75 year old. Looked like he was eating just fine. Claimed to be able to keep track of his medication.

I talked about how great the assisted living facility was where my FIL had been and how it's really nice to have people taking care of you, but he said he wasn't ready to move into one yet. Maybe when his sore legs get worse.

I need a little more information from him about a rental house he owns and the rent he got and what the expenses were before I can do the taxes. So I'll probably go back over there again this weekend and check on him again.

Overall, I think it's not an emergency for him to get into a home, but we (mostly my aunt and her gang of cousins) need to work on getting him to agree to do that. After looking at his finances, he's easily able to afford staying in a place for the rest of his life. His pension income is greater than my household income with 2 workers in it, and he owns his house outright so he can sell it and finance a decade or so of a home. Oh, and he has a few thousand Disney shares. He's in great shape financially.

I suggested he sell his rental house so he doesn't have to be a landlord any more, and he was actually eager to do that. So when I talk to him again, I'll ask if I can call a real estate agent to get that ball rolling for him.

This is gonna be a chore, helping this guy. But I'll do what I can. He reminds me a lot of my dead grandfather. Looks a lot like him.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:30 PM   #210
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Good on ya, Glatt.

Sounds like he's not there, yet, but can see it from where he is.

My great-grandmother outlived her mind, and her daughter, Grandmadigr, (had a B-Day this past Sunday, turned 97) is outliving her body, but her mind is sharp as ever.

I don't know which is worse, but, for me, I'd expect the latter.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote