The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #16
lookout123
changed his status to single

Um, yeah this is the part where anyone who ever wondered if I was nuts will quit wondering.

*4 people x 2 gals water/day x 15 days + 12,000 gallon swimming pool and plenty of water purifaction options for 6 months.

*Enough MRE's for a week, Mountain House stuff for 60 days, lots of canned foods and other long shelf life foods

*A significant amount of first aid supplies and some basic medical stuff

*Months worth of toiletries

*Camping supplies

*Candles and more than a few windup flashlights

*a number of ways to cook without power

*2 way radios + 1 crank radio

*Firearms designed for different duties, plenty of ammunition for any situation

Each car and office have go bags with checklists and 3 day supplies and equipment.

Yeah, I probably am nuts but I doubt I'll ever regret having the stuff.

Tools, some lumber, a shitton of paracord, several pair of comfy boots and plenty of durable clothing, detailed maps, propane, plenty of alcohol, coffee + percolator, camelbaks, knives, hiking sticks, ... the list grows when I see something I think might be useful.

Last edited by lookout123; 01-17-2010 at 09:47 PM.
lookout123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #17
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Or burn it for heat/light...
That's what dead neighbors are for.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:36 PM   #18
Pie
Gone and done

I got water purification methods, and food for two for about a month. Cat food and litter, too. Essential drugs, basic antibiotics, first aid supplies. Hand-crank radio/cell phone charger. Chlorine bleach. Soap. Toilet paper. Solar cooker. Grill with extra propane. Camping gear.

Need cyanide pills.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:42 PM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But no soul.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #20
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirell nutkin View Post
what about mini disasters?
About two weeks worth of canned food and camping gear. Cats to keep mice, rats and roaches at bay. A carton of cigarettes. Lots of matches. About 4 block walk to park which has a creek and large pond. Tons of pinon and cedar starting about a mile from my apartment. There's enough wood for the entire town, swear to God. Many candles. After that, I'm a statistic.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #21
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
Um, yeah this is the part where anyone who ever wondered if I was nuts will quit wondering.

*4 people x 2 gals water/day x 15 days + 12,000 gallon swimming pool and plenty of water purifaction options for 6 months.

*Enough MRE's for a week, Mountain House stuff for 60 days, lots of canned foods and other long shelf life foods

*A significant amount of first aid supplies and some basic medical stuff

*Months worth of toiletries

*Camping supplies

*Candles and more than a few windup flashlights

*a number of ways to cook without power

*2 way radios + 1 crank radio

*Firearms designed for different duties, plenty of ammunition for any situation

Each car and office have go bags with checklists and 3 day supplies and equipment.

Yeah, I probably am nuts but I doubt I'll ever regret having the stuff.

Tools, some lumber, a shitton of paracord, several pair of comfy boots and plenty of durable clothing, detailed maps, propane, plenty of alcohol, coffee + percolator, camelbaks, knives, hiking sticks, ... the list grows when I see something I think might be useful.

I don't think you're nuts. i forgot to mention the frst aid stuff. And the radios and walkie talkies. And batteries. We don't have shitloads of kleenex and bogroll,though -well we do, but they're stored upstairs. but we do have a huge stack of old towels. In the car we just have water, small medical supplies, several changes of clothes and blankets. this is nothing to do with armageddon, though, it's necessary for our overly-scheduled family survival
Old 01-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #22
monster

oh, don't forget the sunblock!
Old 01-17-2010, 10:14 PM   #23
lookout123

Plenty of sunblock.

kits for scorpion sting and snakebite too. This is Arizona and I'm north of the 5the largest city in the country. My plan if something really bad happens is to head up to a predetermined spot in northern AZ. If that isn't possible, I'm prepared to hole up in the house for months at a time and I'm fairly confident that we and a couple like minded neighbors would be able to deter anyone thinking about messing with us.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #24
monster

I have no firearms. but beest's paintball guns would fucking hurt...
Old 01-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #25
lookout123

I like guns. I put a couple hundred rounds through some zombies today while the family was at disney on ice.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #26
Juniper
I know, right?

Ooh, one of my favorite topics. If you wanna see how the serious preppers do it, visit http://www.timebomb2000.com/.

We do pretty much like monster. Got the stocked pantry, water, and camping gear. I need more in that pantry (actually I need a *pantry* - plans are in the works). We'd be OK as long as everyone was here and we could stay, at least for a few weeks.

Last year we had a little mini-emergency, when the big winds came through following hurricane Ike and knocked power out for a few days. Because we had some preps and a small generator, we were fine, still got to watch TV and didn't lose everything in the fridge/freezer. Hardest part was finding gas, both for the generator and for the car -- despite our situation, hubby still had work and I still had school! Dang WSU doesn't close for anything!

I almost got stranded up at school one day. Thought that if WSU was still open, they must have power up there so I'd be able to get gas at a station just like normal. Wrong! The one station that was open only took cash, I didn't have cash, nearest bank wouldn't cash my check. Finally found a functioning ATM. And the lines at the few stations in the area were really long, we had to go pretty far to get gas for the generator; the hunt took a lot of our time!

So, lessons: CASH is probably the most important prep item to have. And it's nice to at least have at least one full gas can at home, rotated out regularly.

We were lucky this happened during warm weather. You've got to think about what's the most likely emergency to hit where you live and plan accordingly. I worry about cold weather, a lot. We have a wood stove/fireplace insert but of course it needs electric for the fan to work, else it's not much better than a plain old fireplace.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:58 PM   #27
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post

.....but I doubt I'll ever regret having the stuff.

Maybe ...only when you see the refugee line outside your door?

At least you'll have plenty of toilet paper to share.:p
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:03 PM   #28
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

YES! very important, cash. The people that live on plastic for everything, even a cup of coffee, are going to be screwed, in most cases with the power out. Bigger crisis's confusion, even cash might not help, but you can still start a fire or wipe your ass with it.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:10 PM   #29
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Lately I've been thinking of buying gold as an investment but it less handy than paper money for wiping and useless for starting fires.

I guess you could clunk some beast over the head with a gold bar though.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #30
squirell nutkin
has a second hand user title

Just watched "Little Dieter needs to fly" about an American pilot who was a POW in Laos for 6 months.

Great film.

He has an enormous stash of food in his house. After being starved to 85Lbs. he wants plenty of back up.

several thousand pounds of rice, flour, honey, etc.