The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 02-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #46
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Doctor, Doctor, it hurts when I do this!

Well, don't do that.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #47
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

No surgery is good news. I know you're disappointed about perhaps not being able to do kettleballs anymore. However, there lots of other good workouts out there. Of course, I can easily say that because I don't do kettleballs. :-P hope you the best! See you on Fitocracy again soon!
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #48
bbro
Insert witty comment here

We had one of thos discussions bruce!! LOL

Lola - She hasn't completely ruled out the KB's !! I told her that was one of my goals and she kind of looked at me - She thought I was doing it through cross-fit. I explained that it was dedicated KB instructors, she seemed more open. Especially when I told her how they told me to stop an exercise because it hurt
Old 02-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #49
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Bro, how are things going for you? How's the PT going? Feeling any better yet?
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:32 PM   #50
bbro

It's kind of non-existent right now - lol. I had my second appt the day of our major snow storm down here. I am doing the home exercises and taking the new anti-inflammatory meds.

It seems to be working, though. My shoulder is less sore than it was - it might be the meds or both. I am anxious to get back to the actual training though
Old 09-30-2015, 12:40 PM   #51
bbro

Geez - another update needed! I went back to PT after being out a year because I am lazy.

I am pretty much back to normal range of movement on my shoulders. My left squeezed out my right(injured) as the stronger arm. I've been working with her for about 2 months - doing mostly exercising at home. I'm back up to 90% strength on both sides and good old righty is getting stronger. I still click and get twinges, but nothing like before.

PLUS - I asked if I could take a day-long KB class with a StrongFirst instructor and she said YES! SO EXCITED! I'm still doing other exercises with my own set of dumbbells and pylo boxes (I was at the gym, but decided to quit and do it all at home), but I can't wait to be back with my first weight love.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:21 PM   #52
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Cool, getting back in shape gives you confidence which will spill over into the rest of your life. You go girl!
Old 10-01-2015, 08:30 AM   #53
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Cool, getting back in shape gives you confidence which will spill over into the rest of your life, leading to you posting photos of your hella jacked self. You go girl!
Old 10-01-2015, 08:41 AM   #54
bbro

I've still been working out. My "median" weight is still about 20 pounds less than it used to be. I've got my dumbbells giving me the death stare to use them (actually thinking of painting faces on them). I've still got about 30 more pounds to go, though. I definitely sleep better on the days I work out - lol
Old 10-01-2015, 08:45 AM   #55
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

I didn't realize you had RC issues. It's a bitch. I've had both fixed, one had a relapse.

Talk about LOOOOOONG recovery.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:14 AM   #56
bbro

It's a bitch. I still can't really sleep on that side. And that's my favorite side!! If I had kept up with the physical therapy instead of taking a year break, I'd be a lot farther along, I think. Still, my physical therapist was happy with the progress I've made since going back. And I didn't back slide any, so that was good.

When I first started, I had to use my other hand to move my arm from my lap onto the table. I didn't realize how bad it was until I started getting therapy for it.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:23 AM   #57
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Yep. I had to completely change my favorite sleeping positions after my PT said "What? You can't be sleeping that way, it's bad for your shoulders."

I liked the "hands up" position.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:25 AM   #58
bbro

Hands up on back? I love that one. I can't really do that one, either, unless I don't use a pillow. *SIGH*
Old 11-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #59
bbro

Whelp, I've begun the foray back into kettlebells with a StrongFirst course yesterday. It was an all day class that taught the basics in a more in depth way than you would normally get in a class. I was able to do most of the exercises even with the shoulder. The instructor was aware and noted when I should be changing things. She also pointed out to the entire class ways to prevent shoulder injury with the proper form. I was a little sore, but after icing, completely pain-free.

I saw the physical therapist today and told her every thing I did in class. There was no injury or change in range of motion. She was excited to see my progress. I may only have two more visits with her.

In the meantime, I am going to incorporate two pure kettlebell moves into my workouts - the swing and turkish get up (unweighted). I am currently looking for a good quality one to buy. I am contemplating getting a small set. There is also one in the size I need that has a harpy face!! So cool. Still, I need quality, so I am getting opinions from others on my fitness community site.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:40 PM   #60
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

bbro, I'm late to the party so this may have been mentioned but for proper technique, I highly recommend these two videos: I'll just provide the URL so they don't autoplay (annoying). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQospzSIwdU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLeRzQVc8xw And any youtube vid of Steve Cotter. Also, be choosy about who you let teach you KB technique. I see a lot of fitness trainers teaching KB technique that are awful at it and are going to get their clients injured. An RKC or IKFF designation would be nice but they are not easy to find. Dragondoor.com used to have a list by area if you are inclined to search one out.

Last edited by Beestie; 11-16-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Beestie is offline   Reply With Quote