The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 12:51 PM   #76
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Posts: 21,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair&Balanced View Post
Breitbart, etc.
Where did Breitbart express hate?
__________________
Anyone but the this most fuked up President in History in 2012!
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #77
Fair&Balanced
Operations Operative
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Where did Breitbart express hate?
Andrew Breitbart's BigPeace.com (posted earlier):
Quote:
Just as Islamist extremists sought to use Ground Zero as a triumphal place to build their mosque (right ), the United States should use the site to display Osama bin Laden’s naked body for all Americans to see. We have a right to view our nation’s tormentor face to face, to make sure he is dead, and to spit on him if we choose.

http://bigpeace.com/jmwaller/2011/05...-qaeda-legacy/
His site, he is accountable.
Fair&Balanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #78
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Posts: 21,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair&Balanced View Post
Andrew Breitbart's BigPeace.com (posted earlier):

"Just as Islamist extremists sought to use Ground Zero as a triumphal place to build their mosque (right ), the United States should use the site to display Osama bin Laden’s naked body for all Americans to see. We have a right to view our nation’s tormentor face to face, to make sure he is dead, and to spit on him if we choose."

His site, he is accountable.
Why is that hate speech?

Because you disagree with it? Because you say it is so?
__________________
Anyone but the this most fuked up President in History in 2012!
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #79
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Well if he's still in business, He can sell 'em now! :-)
__________________
Laugh and the world laughs with you; cry and the world laughs AT you.
Sheldonrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #80
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 25,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Anyone remember the story of Esther from the Old Testament?
"The villain of the story is Haman, an arrogant, egotistical advisor to the king. Haman hated Mordecai because Mordecai refused to bow down to Haman, so Haman plotted to destroy the Jewish people. In a speech that is all too familiar to Jews, Haman told the king, "There is a certain people scattered abroad and dispersed among the peoples in all the provinces of your realm. Their laws are different from those of every other people's, and they do not observe the king's laws; therefore it is not befitting the king to tolerate them." (Esther 3:8). The king gave the fate of the Jewish people to Haman, to do as he pleased to them. Haman planned to exterminate all of the Jews."
Sound a little familiar? Kind of like Bin Laden wanting to destroy the "infidel" Westerners because they do not obey the laws of Islam?
"[Ester's cousin] Mordecai, [who had raised her as if she were his daughter], persuaded Esther to speak to the king on behalf of the Jewish people. This was a dangerous thing for Esther to do, because anyone who came into the king's presence without being summoned could be put to death, and she had not been summoned. Esther fasted for three days to prepare herself, then went into the king. He welcomed her. Later, she told him of Haman's plot against her people. The Jewish people were saved, and Haman and his ten sons were hanged on the gallows that had been prepared for Mordecai."
Any guesses what happened next?
"19Therefore the Jews of the villages, that dwelt in the unwalled towns, made the fourteenth day of the month Adar a day of gladness and feasting, and a good day, and of sending portions one to another.

20And Mordecai wrote these things, and sent letters unto all the Jews that were in all the provinces of the king Ahasuerus, both nigh and far,

21To establish this among them, that they should keep the fourteenth day of the month Adar, and the fifteenth day of the same, yearly,
And every year for thousands of years, Jews have celebrated; not the demise of Haman, but the saving of our People. We are commanded to drink until we can no longer tell the difference between "cursed be Haman" and "blessed be Mordechai", not to create debauchery, but "to dissolve the differences between us and encourage unity." "In addition to good food and lots of alcohol, the meal is characterized by its zany raucous atmosphere - trombones blare, silly string flies, and grown men dance together for hours on end."

If the events of the last 20+ years occurred during biblical times, the stories about which were passed down from generation to generation by word of mouth, to later be inscribed in a book, there is little doubt that it would be told very similarly. Good triumphed over evil. A mighty "King/Nation" took down the enemy to save the People who were the targets of said evil. And the People rejoiced at their salvation.

Thus is human nature. Perhaps because I've been celebrating in such a way for my entire life, based on a very similar story in history, I view the celebratory atmosphere through a different lens than others. I don't find it offensive, I find it cathartic.


Sources:
http://www.jewfaq.org/holiday9.htm
http://purim.spike-jamie.com/meal.html
http://judaism.about.com/od/holidays...y-Of-Purim.htm
http://kingjbible.com/esther/7.htm
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...+9&version=KJV
An interesting perspective, thanks Jill. Though, I'd have preferred to think that we as a society have become more civilised over the past 2-3000 years.
__________________
Quote:
There's only so much punishment a man can take in pursuit of punani. - Sundae
http://sites.google.com/site/danispoetry/
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #81
Fair&Balanced
Operations Operative
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Why is that hate speech?

Because you disagree with it? Because you say it is so?
It is speech to incite anti-Islam sentiments in the same manner as Gafney and Geller.

From the bullshit about the Islamic extremists using Ground Zero build a mosque to condoning spitting on the dead body.
Fair&Balanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #82
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 23,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair&Balanced View Post
I get the humor in the posts here.
Apparently not - You shit on me for no reason.
__________________
"like strapping a pillow on a bull in a china shop" Bullitt
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #83
Fair&Balanced
Operations Operative
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Apparently not - You shit on me for no reason.
My apologizes if I misread your post.
Fair&Balanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #84
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Posts: 21,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair&Balanced View Post
It is speech to incite anti-Islam sentiments.....

From the bullshit about the Islamic extremists using Ground Zero build a mosque to condoning spitting on the dead body.
Sounds like an opinion to me. He is not saying everyone else should go out and do what he wants to do.

And so since you think other people believe that Islamists who live in that area wanted to build a mosque at ground zero that makes them extremists or that you know what their motivation is as to why they chose such a location? Please explain how you know what their motivation was to place the mosque at such a location?

So he wants to be able to spit on Bin Laden's dead body? Millions around the world would most likely join him. That does not make that action against that one man "hate speech".
__________________
Anyone but the this most fuked up President in History in 2012!
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #85
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 13,002
IN OTHER NEWS:

GENERALISSIMO FRANCISCO FRANCO IS STILL DEAD.

(Brought to you by Bartles and James Whine and Poor Pitiful Me Records)
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #86
Fair&Balanced
Operations Operative
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
An interesting perspective, thanks Jill. Though, I'd have preferred to think that we as a society have become more civilised over the past 2-3000 years.
Agreed! Great perspective.

Now I want a haman tashan (sp), except the kind my grandma made with prunes...ewwww.
Fair&Balanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #87
Jill
Colonist Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Redondo Beach, CA (transplant from St. Louis, MO)
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post

An interesting perspective, thanks Jill. Though, I'd have preferred to think that we as a society have become more civilised over the past 2-3000 years.
You're welcome. But methinks you expect too much. It takes millions of years to evolve. Thousands is a mere speck of dust in the desert.

Besides, part of the point of that story is that thousands of years later, millions (maybe billions?) of people the world over are still using the Bible as their moral guide. That being the case, it should be easy to understand why people are still behaving the way we did during Bible times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post

Apparently not - You shit on me for no reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair&Balanced View Post

My apologizes if I misread your post.
Awww, every body sing!

Kumbaya, my Lord, Kumbaya.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #88
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 13,002
This thread needs more sponstators.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #89
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 25,417
Ooooooohhhhhh Looooooorrrrrdddd......Kummmmbbbaaaaayyyaaaa.
__________________
Quote:
There's only so much punishment a man can take in pursuit of punani. - Sundae
http://sites.google.com/site/danispoetry/
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #90
Jill
Colonist Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Redondo Beach, CA (transplant from St. Louis, MO)
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair&Balanced View Post

Agreed! Great perspective.

Now I want a haman tashan (sp), except the kind my grandma made with prunes...ewwww.
Thank you. And yeah, the poppy seed ones are killah! Mmmm, now I'm hungry, too.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
i love tw, i love ug, merc luvs jill, merry xmas from barry o, rip ug, teh president barry, u want me, who be barrio?


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.