The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 12-11-2017, 09:26 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Dec 12th, 2017: Sierra Railway No. 3

Do you remember this locomotive.
What do you mean you’ve never seen it so how could you remember it.
Bet you have.

You’ve seen it if you’ve seen…
Quote:
The Red Glove, The Terror, The Virginian, The Texan, Young Tom Edison, Sierra Passage, Wyoming Mail, High Noon, The Cimarron Kid, Kansas Pacific, The Moonlighter, Apache, Rage at Dawn, The Return of Jack Slade, Texas Lady, The Big Land, Terror in a Texas Town, Man of the West, Face of a Fugitive, The Outrage, The Rare Breed, The Great Race, The Perils of Pauline, Finian’s Rainbow, A Man Called Gannon, The Great Bank Robbery, Joe Hill, The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid, Oklahoma Crude, Nickleodeon, Bound for Glory, The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again, The Long Riders, Pale Rider, Blood Red, Back to the Future Part III, Unforgiven, and Bad Girls.
Don’t do movies? How about TV shows…
Quote:
The Lone Ranger, Tales of Wells Fargo, Casey Jones, Rawhide, Overland Trail, Lassie, Death Valley Days, The Raiders, Petticoat Junction, The Wild Wild West, The Big Valley, The Legend of Jesse James, Scalplock, Iron Horse, Cimarron Strip, Dundee and the Culhane, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., Ballad of the Iron Horse, Gunsmoke, Bonanza, The Great Man’s Whiskers, Inventing of America, Little House on the Prairie, Law of the Land, A Woman Called Moses, Lacy and the Mississippi Queen, Kate Bliss and the Ticker Tape Kid, The Night Rider, The Last Ride of the Dalton Gang, Belle Starr, East of Eden, Father Murphy, The A-Team, Bonanza: The Next Generation, The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr., and Doctor Quinn, Medicine Woman.
Built in 1891, “Sierra No. 3” was adopted by Hollywood in 1948.

Quote:
William L. Withhuhn, former transportation history curator at the Smithsonian Institution, wrote, “Sierra Railway No. 3 has appeared in more motion pictures, documentaries, and television productions than any other locomotive. It is undisputedly the image of the archetypal steam locomotive that propelled the USA from the 19th century into the 20th.”
link
Old 12-12-2017, 03:07 AM   #2
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
The Lone Ranger, Tales of Wells Fargo, Casey Jones, Rawhide, Overland Trail, Lassie, Death Valley Days, The Raiders, Petticoat Junction, The Wild Wild West, The Big Valley, The Legend of Jesse James, Scalplock, Iron Horse, Cimarron Strip, Dundee and the Culhane, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., Ballad of the Iron Horse, Gunsmoke, Bonanza, The Great Man’s Whiskers, Inventing of America, Little House on the Prairie, Law of the Land, A Woman Called Moses, Lacy and the Mississippi Queen, Kate Bliss and the Ticker Tape Kid, The Night Rider, The Last Ride of the Dalton Gang, Belle Starr, East of Eden, Father Murphy, The A-Team, Bonanza: The Next Generation, The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr., and Doctor Quinn, Medicine Woman.
Oh, happy day!

'Casey Jones' was a childhood favourite of mine along with 'Union Pacific'.

It's a shame that 'Cannonball Express' appears back to front on the engine name plate.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:39 AM   #3
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I'm not really into Westerns, so the only ones of those I'm sure I've seen were Back to the Future III and Brisco County Jr. Gotta mix some SF into my Westerns.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:22 AM   #4
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

You should watch Westworld, HM. Right up your alley.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:34 AM   #5
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I watch the show; very good. I haven't seen the movie.

Firefly's another excellent space Western. If it had survived longer, they might have figured out a way to sneak this locomotive in, though it would have been tricky.

Westworld still may, though these days it's probably so much easier to CGI it.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:56 PM   #6
Pamela
Deplorable

And see Futureworld, the lesser-known sequel to the classic Westworld.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #7
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Just watched parts of it (FutureWorld) over the last couple months on the Comet Network.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote