The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 03-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #16
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
And Bruce, the reason for the spaghetti shaped frame is that you'd never really know if they repaired it or not. They could do anything, really, and most of us would say, "Looks legit."
They programmed future deception into the computer?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:29 PM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I read they are printing with aluminum. The aluminum is melted in a furnace then flows into a nozzle where it's superheated by induction until there is enough pressure to blow out one drop. I'd be concerned how homogeneous the finished piece is. Have to assume someone is looking at that, because I didn't pay all those taxes to school those little fuckers for nothing.

They hope to be printing with steel soon, but I'll bet it's not high carbon or high strength steel.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:40 AM   #18
SPUCK
Professor

They print titanium and don't forget as a publicity stunt they printed a complete 1911 45 out of steel and then demonstrated the result by putting ten thousand rounds thru it.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:37 AM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Damn, I haven't kept up with this shit.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:17 PM   #20
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
They programmed future deception into the computer?
What kind of conspiracy theorist are you? Give back your tinfoil hat until you adjust your attitude, young man.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:28 PM   #21
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
They hope to be printing with steel soon, but I'll bet it's not high carbon or high strength steel.
I'll stick with Viking crucible steel, carbon-boosted with the bones of my ancestors.

Viking Sword, "Ulfberht" or +VLFBERHT+

expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:01 AM   #22
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I wonder if they used that technology to design the Klymint ultra-lightweight backpacking sleep pad? Packs up smaller than a soda can.
Attachment 59754
I have to say, this is one of the stupidest fucking things I have ever seen. Designed by someone who is divorced from the reality of camping, it's not only not right, it's not even wrong.

Who remains motionless during their sleep? When backpacking, how often do you find yourself sleeping on flat ground without sticks, roots, stones, peas, and god knows what poking up from the ground? Even a small root would easily protrude beyond the thickness of the mat though one of the openings.

Seriously, people need to get the fuck off their devices, stop playing with solidworks, sketchup, and autocad and go outside and actually touch the physical world.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But it works fine on top of my mattress.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:16 PM   #24
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
And would it fit in a "child sized" soda cup? @ 48 sec

Old 04-16-2017, 01:07 AM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Deep Learning is raising it's ugly head in a new way.
Quote:
Last year, a strange self-driving car was released onto the quiet roads of Monmouth County, New Jersey. The experimental vehicle, developed by researchers at the chip maker Nvidia, didn’t look different from other autonomous cars, but it was unlike anything demonstrated by Google, Tesla, or General Motors, and it showed the rising power of artificial intelligence. The car didn’t follow a single instruction provided by an engineer or programmer. Instead, it relied entirely on an algorithm that had taught itself to drive by watching a human do it.
Heh heh, I'd teach that sucker something.

Quote:
Getting a car to drive this way was an impressive feat. But it’s also a bit unsettling, since it isn’t completely clear how the car makes its decisions. Information from the vehicle’s sensors goes straight into a huge network of artificial neurons that process the data and then deliver the commands required to operate the steering wheel, the brakes, and other systems.... The system is so complicated that even the engineers who designed it may struggle to isolate the reason for any single action. And you can’t ask it: there is no obvious way to design such a system so that it could always explain why it did what it did.
"Isn't completely clear" is tech speak for Idunno.

Quote:
The mysterious mind of this vehicle points to a looming issue with artificial intelligence. The car’s underlying AI technology, known as deep learning, has proved very powerful at solving problems in recent years, and it has been widely deployed for tasks like image captioning, voice recognition, and language translation. There is now hope that the same techniques will be able to diagnose deadly diseases, make million-dollar trading decisions, and do countless other things to transform whole industries.

But this won’t happen—or shouldn’t happen—unless we find ways of making techniques like deep learning more understandable to their creators and accountable to their users.
Imagine one of those Boston Dynamics robots with this. They're taking the next big leap toward our Robot Overlords.

link
Old 04-17-2017, 06:57 AM   #26
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

So now imagine we've got one of those Boston Dynamics wolf-things patrolling the streets, keeping the criminals at bay... except they learned how to do their job from watching real cops.

And the robots end up racist.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:45 PM   #27
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
And in the pool.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:02 PM   #28
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
And in the pool.
I sincerely doubt it.

Think about how little water that blow up lace displaces. If you're not movin the water away with what you're "floating" on, you're gonna be in the water. Water's heavy but not that heavy.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #29
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

There are great big holes in inner tubes, and they float.

I feel ya, though.