The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 12-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #106
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Today I had oatmeal bars and yogurt, tomorrow I'm having biscuits and sausage gravy, and eggs YUM.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:55 PM   #107
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

For awhile now breakfast every day has been a sliced banana covered in 24-hour fermented goat yogurt (28.8 billion CFU per serving! declares the bottle,) topped liberally with honey. I've been craving it on a regular basis ever since I started eating it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:53 AM   #108
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Cigarettes and coffee again.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #109
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
My boss just gave me a quart can of John McCann's steel cut Irish oatmeal. I don't know if it's any good, but the can is freaking awesome. Looks like a can of paint.

She openly admitted it was a re-gift and she had no desire to spend 30 minutes making oatmeal.
This is the most wonderful stuff in the world, and is absolutely worth the 30 minutes of close attention that the cooking process requires. Make a whole batch, eat 1/4, put the rest in the firdge in a microwavable container. I hate American Style Wallpaper Paste (I can't bring myself to call the Quaker stuff oatmeal), but I love McCann's. Awesome nutty roasty flavor.

Watch it like a hawk in the early stages, it has a tendency to froth up and boil over no matter how big the pot is! You can be more relaxed during the half-hour of simmering. I have never tried the soak overnight method. I do have a friend that does the crock pot while she's sleeping method (from Alton Brown's Good Eats) but says you either need to wake up early, or put in some extra liquid to have it work properly.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #110
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Sounds like the recipe for diarrhea and coughing... very bad combination.
From a Dennis Leary routine:
You ever smoke a big, fat bag of crack and then drink a whole bottle of Nyquil?
I mean, what's the point of being high if you're just going to cough?

Last edited by footfootfoot; 12-02-2010 at 08:17 PM.
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #111
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Cigarettes and coffee again.
We really should do breakfast sometime! Easy enough to make, and chock full of my favorite things.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:53 PM   #112
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Big cup of delicious hot coffee with soy milk, and a whole wheat bagel with hummus.

I also had chocolate cake afterward, but I'm counting that as lunch.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #113
glatt

Quote:
we'll try the oatmeal out on Saturday. I'll report back.
The oats were a bit rancid. It was a new, unopened can, but I think it was old. Can't find a date on it. The date must have been on the inner liner I threw away. I made a batch, and it was yucky.

I threw the rest away, but the can is pretty neat. My son asked for it, so I gave it to him.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:36 AM   #114
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Hopefully maple turkey bacon. I moved it from the freezer to the fridge to defrost last night.

From a linguistic standpoint notice how 2 of the adjectives are also nouns. We could say 'a maple' or 'a turkey'.

From a food perspective this combines 3 tasty items in one package maple syrup, turkey, and bacon.

I've never actually tried this brand or maple flavored bacon before, but I have high hopes.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #115
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
The oats were a bit rancid. It was a new, unopened can, but I think it was old. Can't find a date on it. The date must have been on the inner liner I threw away. I made a batch, and it was yucky.

I threw the rest away, but the can is pretty neat. My son asked for it, so I gave it to him.
That's a shame. It is worthwhile going out and getting a new (and hopefully fresher) can. Perhaps the seal's integrity was violated somehow? Unopened oats should have a pretty long shelf life.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #116
glatt

My boss had two cans she was giving away. I think one had just come in the mail as a gift and she realized she had an old unopened one in her pantry. Her secretary must have gotten the new one and I must have gotten the old one. Oh well. Next time I'm in whole foods, which is about once a year, I'll check the bulk food section and see if they have any I can try for cheap.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #117
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Glatt, Quaker Qats sells the steel cut variety and it aint bad....check your grocery local grocery store. I used to get it at my grocery store but they stopped selling it (just one more reason I hate middle hoosierland!)
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #118
monster
I hear them call the tide

turkey bacon, veggie burgers... whats the point? ugh. And don't even consider turkey burgers -even the cats wouldn't eat them. and they eat all sorts of unidentifiable nasties.....
Old 12-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #119
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
turkey bacon, veggie burgers... whats the point? ugh. And don't even consider turkey burgers -even the cats wouldn't eat them. and they eat all sorts of unidentifiable nasties.....
I agree with you on the turkey burgers, but if you put enough nitrates and salt into turkey bacon, it tastes just like the real thing.

I was used to my other brand of turkey bacon, so I put some olive oil in the pan to make up for the usual lack of fat. I didn't need to worry, this brand was thick cut and they must have some pretty fat turkeys, because it was just as fatty as pork bacon. Pretty good.

I took pictures, but the camera is downstairs.

According to this site, out of the 45 calories in a single slice, 20 calories is fat. Bless them.

http://www.fitclick.com/how_many_cal...Free?fd=420854
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #120
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Oatmeal 7.
Oatmeal 7 is better than regular oatmeal. In fact, it is 7 better than regular oatmeal (The way mom makes it) Dad makes Oatmeal 7 which is only one better than oatmeal 6.

Oatmeal 7 is:

Rolled oats, the slow kind, not instant.
Milk or half and half
pinch of salt
vanilla extract
butter
Maple syrup, or brown sugar, or honey (No you can't have all three, that's disgusting)
Cinnamon

Add it all together and cook it. It's Oatmeal 7 and it's better than regular oatmeal.

My kids ask for it by name.
GFCF must make the appropriate subs with almond milk or something.